Off Topic Post Count

simpjkee

I never counted my posts and didn't know they don't add up when posting off-topic. I'm gonna check now and see. ;)

Why do we have a post count? It's not like others would be deemed more knowledgeable simply due to post numbers.

- But I agree though. If there's a "tally" of posts, any post in these forums should count.

- There's just as many silly one-liners in the "regular" forums and they count...

Possible that TPTB felt that off-topic doesn't (really) contribute to geocaching, so they're omitted?

I made the previous two posts to illustrate the kind of cruft that is spewed, probably just to increase a post count.

It is not a score.

I'd like to see the post count hidden altogether and then we might not see as much of that type of thing.

Aside from your suggestion of removing the post count alltogether....You do bring up an interesting point.... If off topic posts counted, we would see those kinds of posts in the off topic forum where they belong and not in the other forums that are for 'real' messages.

How can you be against Off Topic posts counting??? C'mon frinklabs!! I need your support!!!

How about a post count an an "average length of post" count too?

That would mean people who want to post "+1" would get their nice big numbers whereas those who waffle a lot expound their thinking in more depth would get an alternative big score so they wouldn't feel left out.

How can you be against Off Topic posts counting??? C'mon frinklabs!! I need your support!!!

That would mean people who want to post "+1" would get their nice big numbers whereas those who waffle a lot expound their thinking in more depth would get an alternative big score so they wouldn't feel left out.

+1

:laughing:

Now we're getting somewhere:

Toz WINS!

But who will come in second? SNOOGANS?

I used to be able to go into my forums account and at least see a private tally of how many posts I had made in OT. But after the forums were changed, I can't see a way to do that. I guess it's not really important, but I like stats, so I was bummed to see that option disappear.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

+1 and +1 so +2

I actually tried to do this the other day and was a little bummed that it wouldn't work. That did influence this thread a little bit.

I just made a shocking discovery!

Went in to the German speaking Off Topic forum and made a post. To my surprise, the post counted toward my total post count! :o

So English speaking Off Topic posts don't count, but German speaking Off Topic posts do?

I think if the German Off Topic posts count, it's time the English Off Topic posts count as well.

Went in to the German speaking Off Topic forum and made a post. To my surprise, the post counted toward my total post count! :o

So English speaking Off Topic posts don't count, but German speaking Off Topic posts do?

I think if the German Off Topic posts count, it's time the English Off Topic posts count as well.

- Have to believe you on that one. That I'm not checking. :laughing:

- Haven't needed it since the seventies and Mein Deutsch ist etwas eingerostet, oder nicht so gut.

- Have to believe you on that one. That I'm not checking. :laughing:

- Haven't needed it since the seventies and Mein Deutsch ist etwas eingerostet, oder nicht so gut.

I used an internet translator and I assure you that my German speaking off topic forum post was on topic to the off topic thread I posted in.

I'm still confused about why it matters. I haven't seen how having the off-topic posts included in your post count will bring any benefit to anyone.

I agree with others that the post count is irrelevant, so it should be done away with entirely. Also, now that you've pointed out that the German off-topic posts are being included in post counts, I bet TPTB will go in and turn those off too to keep everything consistent.

I'm still confused about why it matters. I haven't seen how having the off-topic posts included in your post count will bring any benefit to anyone.

I agree with others that the post count is irrelevant, so it should be done away with entirely. Also, now that you've pointed out that the German off-topic posts are being included in post counts, I bet TPTB will go in and turn those off too to keep everything consistent.

I highly doubt it. TPTB stopped looking at this thread after the first post.

It matters to me. Having off topic posts in my post count would benefit me because I would like to see a count of the total number of posts I've made. Without Off Topic posts counting, this 'post count' under my username is inaccurate.

It matters to me. Having off topic posts in my post count would benefit me because I would like to see a count of the total number of posts I've made. Without Off Topic posts counting, this 'post count' under my username is inaccurate.

Why do you want to know how many posts you've made? :huh:

Honestly, I'm not sure why. Theres just some desire in my brain that wants to know these kinds of figures. Probably similar to my desire to know how many caches I've found, how many times I've seen my favorite movie, or how many plays a certain song on my iPod has gotten.

Because if I've made more posts than you have it logically follows I know more than you do, therefore I'm a better geocacher than you, and therefore I'm just outright better than you so I get to feel all smug and stuff. If you've got a higher post count then I feel inferior so have to post "+1" in as many threads as possible until that smug feeling starts to grow.

Honestly, I'm not sure why. Theres just some desire in my brain that wants to know these kinds of figures. Probably similar to my desire to know how many caches I've found, how many times I've seen my favorite movie, or how many plays a certain song on my iPod has gotten.

In this case, an easy compromise could be made.

The total post count can include the off-topic subforum but the total number is removed from public display and is only available in a personal stats page.

A compromise to the compromise would be a negative-option opt-in strategy. Your total post count is hidden by default, unless you check off a box somewhere in your settings.

I remember this being suggested as an option for the cache find count, in the past, no?

I happen to be very proud that my find count exceeds my post count. I like the fact that my off-topic post don't count as this allows me to post to the forums even on days when I don't find any geocaches. I would really object to a an average length of post or a total word count as this would mean that I would have to either stop posting or start doing power-trails. :ph34r:

I happen to be very proud that my find count exceeds my post count. I like the fact that my off-topic post don't count as this allows me to post to the forums even on days when I don't find any geocaches. I would really object to a an average length of post or a total word count as this would mean that I would have to either stop posting or start doing power-trails. :ph34r:

:laughing: Cheater. ;)

In this case, an easy compromise could be made.

The total post count can include the off-topic subforum but the total number is removed from public display and is only available in a personal stats page.

A compromise to the compromise would be a negative-option opt-in strategy. Your total post count is hidden by default, unless you check off a box somewhere in your settings.

I remember this being suggested as an option for the cache find count, in the past, no?

I'm open to both ideas. I think I prefer the first. In fact, we had that, but it doesn't work anymore. see post number: 23, 24, and 25.

Either way, the current system for tallying post counts is flawed.

After all, newer cachers have had less time to build up their "postings count." So the real test of either brilliance or verbosity (depending on who you ask) is not total posts, it is average posts per day (for you statistics-lovers)!

Yeah, I have a high post count, but I made most of those numbers years ago. It makes me realize how much I used to post, since I'm still fairly high on the leader board, even though I don't post that often anymore. :unsure:

Yeah, I have a high post count, but I made most of those numbers years ago. It makes me realize how much I used to post, since I'm still fairly high on the leader board :unsure:

I'm learning something new every day. Again, had no idea there was such a thing as a "leader board" for post counts.

I didn't see that mentioned in "Geocaching 101" either. ;)

-_- at the wheel.

- Now this thread is starting to make sense...

After all, newer cachers have had less time to build up their "postings count." So the real test of either brilliance or verbosity (depending on who you ask) is not total posts, it is average posts per day (for you statistics-lovers)!

A better test of verbosity would be the average word count per post. As I mentioned before it would differentiate those who make large numbers of very short posts (e.g. "+1") from those who like to waffle on at great length expound their thinking in more depth.

This paragraph consists solely of redundant excess verbiage for the sole purpose of increasing my average word count, on the offchance such a statistic is ever implemented within the site. As such reading it should be considered optional and unlikely to yield any further enlightenment.

Forgot to say, while we're adding an average word count we should also include an average word length count. So people who can use lots of big words involving pontification about juxtapositions and such like can have an extra statistic that becomes a nice big number so they can feel smug about the number of big words they know. We could also have a statistic where people can lose marks for using big words out of context.