Etrex venture cx PC connectivity problems

Rw99@

I have had my garmin etrex venture cx for several years, it has always worked well although i never plugged it into a pc. I tried this today using a pc with windows 7 but the pc doesn't recognise it. The GPS tells me it is now drawing power from the pc via the USB but no connection to the pc. Anyone able to offer any suggestions. Do I need a micro sd in the GPS? Is it a problematic connection? I have downloaded all the newest drivers to the PC from garmin. Cheers

I have had my garmin etrex venture cx for several years, it has always worked well although i never plugged it into a pc. I tried this today using a pc with windows 7 but the pc doesn't recognise it. The GPS tells me it is now drawing power from the pc via the USB but no connection to the pc. Anyone able to offer any suggestions. Do I need a micro sd in the GPS? Is it a problematic connection? I have downloaded all the newest drivers to the PC from garmin. Cheers

The Ventures are old school GPSs, they can't be seen by the PC as a external drive. On my Venture HC, I can load caches using either the Garmin Communicator direct from a cache's web page ("send to my gps") or I can load a batch of caches in a GPX file using programmes such as Garmin Mapsource; easyGPs or GSAK.

Your Venture also has a slot for an SD card. According to the manual you need to extract it from the GPS and plug it into your PC. The manual says its for extra maps. I don't know whether you can load extra caches, I suspect not.