Need a geocaching partner in crime? Geocaching rideshares..

rebeccasp

]Ok well, I tried to find a geo rideshare adventure when I needed to get from Colorado to NY. Now once again I am having to go out west for business and see son in College at Oklahoma State University and daughter in Vail. I am an adventurous mom that just hates to board a plane and get from point A to point B when I could be having a geocaching adventure. I guess what I am asking other then the obvious (anybody need a geo-copilot out west) Is there anybody that thinks there may be a way to start a site for those of us that may kill ourselves trying to find nearby caches while driving and trying to use the gps and smartphone and still stay on the road? Are other people out there that want geo adventures without having to do it alone..Not necessarily a geocaching e-harmony but a way for us single people to share the adventure. Any great ideas I would love to hear..Thanks

I am a solo female. I am not sure i would go on an overnight road trip with a complete stranger. Other than the obvious worry about killers/muggers/rapists,

i would not want to get stuck with someone who snores, smokes, drives like crazy, eats smelly foods, stops only at LPC's, listens to rap...

Well that's not how I feel.. I don't think because you snore or don't share my same interest in music I should miss out on meeting new people that share my geocaching love. What I am thinking of is a place you could in your case write you don't like people that snore but you like if they eat granola bars..I personally like hiking not LPC's but I am not adverse to meeting and having an adventure out of my comfort one. I have had so much fun and learned so much from geocachers I met that I never would have known if it wasn't for our passion for geocaching.. I wish more girls would get together and have girls geo adventures. Not all of us have a dog as a companion so I think my idea is a safe idea.

I saw your avatar. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2115_Transformation_Through_Forgiveness_Cherokee_NC

I have virtual listings and waymarks in the area, one just to your right in the veterans park. It's not uncommon that I pick up hikers or hippies hitch-hiking. :laughing: I don't use Tobacco, but I snore and would stop and take lots of photos and do some Waymarking. Also I have two geodogs that travel with me. :)

I am a solo female. I am not sure i would go on an overnight road trip with a complete stranger. Other than the obvious worry about killers/muggers/rapists,

i would not want to get stuck with someone who snores, smokes, drives like crazy, eats smelly foods, stops only at LPC's, listens to rap...

I'm not female but i agree with you wholeheartedly. I like meeting new people, especially those who share my interests, but i wouldn't want to get in a situation where i, or the person i just met, ended up being too uncomfortable for a long period of time.

A site that could be set up with a short questionaire or boxes that could be checked, covering a few of the basic things like those mentioned above, might be interesting and helpful to those who are more adventurous.

I saw your avatar. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2115_Transformation_Through_Forgiveness_Cherokee_NC

I have virtual listings and waymarks in the area, one just to your right in the veterans park. It's not uncommon that I pick up hikers or hippies hitch-hiking. :laughing: I don't use Tobacco, but I snore and would stop and take lots of photos and do some Waymarking. Also I have two geodogs that travel with me. :)

Hey Thanks, LOL this post was all worth it to checkout Waymarking.. I have a million photos I just never get them posted..and I never knew what Waymarking was.. My son had just gotten his Cherokee card and we went for a fam trip to Cherokee..Loved your Indian geocoins.. I ordered the coolest one in Dec I will try and send you the link..

I'm not female but i agree with you wholeheartedly. I like meeting new people, especially those who share my interests, but i wouldn't want to get in a situation where i, or the person i just met, ended up being too uncomfortable for a long period of time.

A site that could be set up with a short questionaire or boxes that could be checked, covering a few of the basic things like those mentioned above, might be interesting and helpful to those who are more adventurous.

Thanks for the response.. I guess a roadtrip I didn't mean you would have to share a room.. There are many caches I would love to go for close to home but doing a 5/5 alone is probably more dangerous then traveling with another geocacher. I guess my thoughts were a website that you could post and find someone else that wanted to go for a 6 mile winter hike or someone that didn't care if once you got to GZ they would keep searching for the cache and not give up. There are so many cool adventure caches out there but I am not foolish enough to think it is safe for me to do them alone.

Thanks for the response.. I guess a roadtrip I didn't mean you would have to share a room.. There are many caches I would love to go for close to home but doing a 5/5 alone is probably more dangerous then traveling with another geocacher. I guess my thoughts were a website that you could post and find someone else that wanted to go for a 6 mile winter hike or someone that didn't care if once you got to GZ they would keep searching for the cache and not give up. There are so many cool adventure caches out there but I am not foolish enough to think it is safe for me to do them alone.

I haven't looked to see where you are but i would bet there is a geocaching organization, with website and an online forum, near you. There are "meet up to go caching" type threads on some local forums so you might try checking on one close to you. I know that the Houston Geocaching Society website has a place on it's forum called "Metro Mashups" where cachers post looking for others to join them. You do have to be signed in to see those threads on the HGCS site.

:laughing: I don't use Tobacco, but I snore and would stop and take lots of photos and do some Waymarking. Also I have two geodogs that travel with me. :)

Coincidentally, last weekend I did a road trip (to see the Cornell Hockey team play a couple of road games) and shared a hotel room with someone that I had met a bunch of times but really didn't know that well. I knew that he didn't use tobacco but I wouldn't have known if he snored. After the game Friday night (we won) we went out for a couple of beers with a couple of his friends and he said that he has been a bit congestion and "sometimes" snores then handed me a set of ear plugs. He *did* snore but I used the earplugs and slept just fine.

Someone could develop a website for it?

Put in area, then preferences e.g male, non-smoker, listens to classical etc. etc.

That would work

Sort of an e-harmony.com for geocachers?

I remember when Groundspeak added the Facebook link back when we had the feedback site. Yes, I was one of the haters, but now I'm one of the users. There are several FB Geocaching groups, and I'm a member of a few. I never joined any of the local geocaching clubs, but the CO is correct. It's not a good idea to attempt some caches alone.

I hope that I don't get moderated for this, but I have a listing on another site that is in a park. The listing has never been logged online, but when I checked on it, someone has upgraded the container and people are leaving times and dates to meet, what they drive, ect. :anicute: