Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aronburn

I Want In

I want to get into HAM radio but its too expensive for me any sugustions?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Ham radio is, to me at least, a very good hobby. I started playing with radio when I was 8 years old. That was 39 years ago now. I got my first ham license in 1978. That is 24 years ago now.

Ham radio has allowed me to talk to my family and friends while deployed away in combat, has allowed me to make new friends as I travelled around the world, and has been a hobby that I could take and use just about anywhere, anytime, and in/under any condition. It has been there for me when I was ont in the world, and also when the only part of the world I could see was out the hospital window for weeks. It has consistantly given me the opportunity to learn things that have provided me with other opportunities, like great jobs. But I degress.

There are a multitude of ways to study for your ham license. One of the easiest is to go to the national club web page ( http://www.arrl.org ) and download/print the question pool for the class license you want. Some will tell you that memorizing the answers is cheating. Well, memorizing IS learning. Practical application comes later, but memorizing is OK by me. There are also some web pages where you can take a test on-line, just to see how you are doing. Finally, you will need to find a group or club giving exams. Actually, the hardest part of it all is waiting for your callsign after passing the test. Under the new rules, you can get on the air once you know your callsign, you do not have to have the paper license in your hand.

Finding gear at a good price is not difficult. But you need to look for it. It also helps if you are able to fix it yourself. I got a really fine ICOM IC-706 for $50.00, but it was broke. It took me 30 minutes to determine the problem, $65.00 to buy the parts, and 1 hour to repair the problem. Ham radio gatherings (fests), estate sales, flea markets, and even garage sales have turned up radio equipment. Obviously, knowing what you want, and knowing what it is worth, is good information in dealing with this.

Come join us, it is a hobby you can use from now till your last breath.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Aron,

Saw your posting and Mike's reply. I agree whole heartedly with everything Mike wrote, ham radio is a great hobby that is very educational and has had a very good impact on my personal life. But, you are right, it has the potential to be an expensive hobby.(But, just about everything I've been involved with, hobbywise, has been somewhat expensive.)

One way to head off some expenses is to get to know some of your local hams. Occasionally, groups of operators will group together and buy and trade equipment among themselves. There are some very good deals to be had this way. I purchased a set of Kenwood twins(r599d-t599d) with brand new finals for $200.00 and they looked and worked perfectly. Pair up a deal like this with $75.00 worth of wire and coax, and you're on the air for less than $300.00.

By knowing some of your local hams, you also will have access to some very good information on station assembly, operating, equipment recommendations, etc.

A good way to get to know local hams is to attend a local amateur club meeting and/or hamfest. Most hams are pretty friendly and will share an amazing amount of knowledge with you if asked.

Also, the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) prints a book entitled "Now You're Talking", that contains the question pool and all the information you'll need to pass your license examination and set up your first station. It's well worth the $19.00 price.

Good luck and hope to CU on the bands.

73 de KG0HA

Rick Belt, KG0HA

St. Louis, MO.

quote:
Originally posted by aronburn:

I want to get into HAM radio but its too expensive for me any sugustions?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Certainly go ahead and get the license...can't hurt and barely costs at all.

I went out and spent a few hundred dollars on a tri-band HT. I could have gotten by with a $79 (clearance) 2-meter HT from Radio shack and had fun doing what I'm doing. I know that HF stuff can be had very cheaply from various sources.

The expense really depends on what you're interested in doing...I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do....

ApK