Can Tablets download to GPS?

luckytwo

My laptop is dying and I wondered if any tablets have a USB port that can be used to download geocaches to a GPS? What make model works well?

I was able to do this with the Acer Iconia TAB A500. It's kind of a process. You need to install a File Manager App (I used the free Astro File Manager), copy a GPX (Pocket Query or individual cache) and paste into the correct GPSr directory.

It depends on the OS, and the Tablet, and the GPSr, any of which could have a problem that prevents moving the files. You also will need a powered USB hub for many Tab/GPSr combinations, when the GPSr draws too much power from USB for the Tablet to handle.

But if your Tablet has a USB port for an external drive, and your GPSr becomes a "USB Drive" when connected to a PC, it's worth a try. You might instead copy to a Micro SD card if the Tab and GPSr both use that. If you find a combination of things that work pretty well, it could save a Geocaching trip someday.

I've heard of a combination of cables and Apps that would work for even a Nexus7 (my new Tablet), but haven't attempted that.

My Galaxy Tab 2 has a micro SD slot and takes a USB host cord. This is a short $5 cord that plugs into the main port. Some GPSrs plug in directly, and others need a powered USB hub inserted between. The file management app that comes with the tablet works well. So, you can get your PQ by email into your tablet and transfer it to your GPSr.

This tablet also has a very good GPS receiver (GPS and Glonass)and will run the Android geocache apps.