Geocaching Health Study

Last week I responded to the GS tweet about the Texas A&M University study on the health benefits of geocaching. The other day I got an email from the Center for Community Health Development with more details of the program and then today I got an email from the CCHD simply saying, "Center for Community Health Development would like to recall the message, "Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research Study"." Does anyone know if they have canceled the study, or are they revising the study?

No idea.

But I geocache for exercise - great motivator to get off the seat and stagger around a bit in the woods.

Now, once in the woods I may encounter a rattlesneak, get toxic fungal spores from a cache container (or log) and consume while eating my trail mix or have a few days scared off my life when I think someone stole my car (only to remember I parked it at the other, other entrance.)

It's a workout in any case. B)

But I don't understand what the recall did. We all still have the original email.

In certain "closed" email systems, it's possible for a sender to recall a message and remove it from the recipients' mailbox(es), so that the recipient(s) have no record of it. If you're accustomed to sending internal-only emails, you may not realize that it doesn't work once you send to the Internet at large.

No idea.

But I geocache for exercise - great motivator to get off the seat and stagger around a bit in the woods.

Now, once in the woods I may encounter a rattlesneak, get toxic fungal spores from a cache container (or log) and consume while eating my trail mix or have a few days scared off my life when I think someone stole my car (only to remember I parked it at the other, other entrance.)

It's a workout in any case. B)

Tip: Always mark where you park. :lol:

In 2010 when Geowoodstock bussed people in to hike for the Project APE Cache I saw a lot (a few tons?) of geocachers that were really out of shape and looked like they might have a coronary. Most were your average obese American. Some were mega-obese.

Were they able to complete the hike?

Let's get back on topic, this thread is about the health study that Texas A&M is conducting. From what I understand, if you signed up, you will get a pedometer to track your steps while out geocaching and report the number of steps monthly. As "payment" for the study, you will get 2 trackables. They didn't go into detail of what the trackables will be (plain TB, coin, or something else). I still haven't received my pedometer yet, and the study is supposed to start Feb 1, hopefully it comes soon.

Let's get back on topic, this thread is about the health study that Texas A&M is conducting. From what I understand, if you signed up, you will get a pedometer to track your steps while out geocaching and report the number of steps monthly. As "payment" for the study, you will get 2 trackables. They didn't go into detail of what the trackables will be (plain TB, coin, or something else). I still haven't received my pedometer yet, and the study is supposed to start Feb 1, hopefully it comes soon.

Fat lot of good that would do me :lol:

Michaelcycle

(yes, I know that people have tried to use pedometers while cycling. Not very accurate)

A couple of the comments in this thread piss me off! 3 years ago I weighed 520 pounds. I lost 70 lbs, then started caching and lost another 50. As you guys seem to call it, I'm still morbidly obese, and I promise you, I will hike any where near what you guys do. Maybe you shouldn't stereotype, just because someone is big, doesn't mean they can't walk. In the last month, I hiked 6 miles on two separate occasions. One was in the wilderness including island caches, and today I hiked 6 miles down a bike trail. Just because we are "fat" doesn't mean the large person can't do whatever you are doing. Some people are ignorant!!!! Anyways, I have geocaching to thank. I would have spent the day in front of the tv today, and instead, I walked, all day!

I signed up for this study too. Just got my pedometer a few days ago, but it came with a leaky battery. I tried replacing it, but the battery acid ruined the pedometer. I requested a new one and I'm waiting for a response. Hopefully, they will replace it but I guess I could always buy my own pedometer and continue the study. Did anyone else receive a bad pedometer?

considering most geocaches are within 1/10th of a mile from parking..... Not a very good study in my opinion, not scientific, and only accounts for those who volunteer for the study. Walking a dog 15 minutes a day will get you more exercise then finding 10 urban geocaches.

I received my pedometer I think in mid-February. I took it out geocaching, but stuck it in my pocket... it didn't work accurately! I found out you have to clip it to your waistband... now it works fine. The first survey was for March - I received it mid-month. My next survey will be better... I only geocached 3 times in March. Fun to be part of a nationwide study!