Just deleted a bunch of discovered logs

mikemtn

Yes, I just had the same issue with a person from Germany - 'horser' logged a travel bug that's been sitting in my desk drawer since 2002. He's also logged other ancient travel bugs on my watchlist from the same era that have long since been marked lost.

I can only speak for my own, but I strongly suspect he's been brute-forcing the other travel bug ids for one of these 'number/statistics' games.

Yes, I just had the same issue with a person from Germany - 'horser' logged a travel bug that's been sitting in my desk drawer since 2002. He's also logged other ancient travel bugs on my watchlist from the same era that have long since been marked lost.

I can only speak for my own, but I strongly suspect he's been brute-forcing the other travel bug ids for one of these 'number/statistics' games.

Yeah, he's the one.

Edited by mikemtn

A friend contacted me about the same guy. A few minutes later he logged one of my missing travel bugs also:

Log Date: 1/1/2013

discovered....normally I didn't log any trackabels anymoore. Now I needed some TB Numbers for a challenge Cache.

I didn't get any explanation, just "discovered". I guess since his logs are getting deleted he better explain his self and make his logs OK.

edit: I just looked and he still has 1268 TB logs, a bunch of them today.

Edited by mikemtn

See this thread from last month featuring similar shenanigans from Denmark, where something was rotten.

In the old days travel bugs were issued with simple numeric tracking codes. That was before Groundspeak could imagine someone taking the time going through tracking numbers one at a time in an effort to qualify for a "Challenge Cache." The notices in my mailbox today and last month were all from TB's I moved during the early years of geocaching. Back then, when you logged a travel bug, it automatically added that bug to your watchlist. Even more quaint, you used to enjoy reading the stories logged with each movement. Ahhh, the days before "discovered" and "took it to" logs....

Edited by Keystone

Thanks for the information Keystone.

Here's a quote from the last reply in that thread.

After all of their dishonest discoveries and finds, how come "Mia&Jesper" aren't banned/deleted/locked/whatever???

They're in Denmark and their account looks to be in good standing

Has that account been dealt with? If so, can gc.com nip this in the bud and do something about this latest offender?

I got a log on a trackable I'd placed on my watchlist that had no activity in 5 years, which led me to horser's profile- saw all of his logs from yesterday and came to this forum to see if anyone knew what was going on. I'm a frequent visitor on the geocoin forum but not often on this one- I see he seems to have done the same thing with a bunch of geocoin logs as well. Hoping that Groundspeak does something to stop this!

Someone else is free to report the behavior to Groundspeak, as I did last month for Mia&Jesper.

If I weren't a moderator, I'd advocate for everyone to log finds on this German's owned caches with a log like this:

found....normally I didn't log any caches from my armchair anymoore. Now I needed some caches for a challenge Cache.

Greetings from America!

This would be wrong, of course.

Someone else is free to report the behavior to Groundspeak, as I did last month for Mia&Jesper.

If I weren't a moderator, I'd advocate for everyone to log finds on this German's owned caches with a log like this:

found....normally I didn't log any caches from my armchair anymoore. Now I needed some caches for a challenge Cache.

Greetings from America!

:D :D :D :D

Oh, I love it!!

Greetings from America!

:D :D :D :D

Oh, I love it!!

We can dream, can't we?

If you delete a Found It or Discovered It log does it really remeove it from the cachers lists? I was thinking of re-releasing a missing travel bug that only went 71 miles. I thought I would delete the few logs and start fresh. Sounds like this would mess cachers up that had found it.

Steven

Yes, it does. Some people helped your traveler, and then later it went bad. If you took away my honest effort just to start fresh I'd probably avoid helping your next TB release, just in case you had another issue.

If you delete a Found It or Discovered It log does it really remeove it from the cachers lists? I was thinking of re-releasing a missing travel bug that only went 71 miles. I thought I would delete the few logs and start fresh. Sounds like this would mess cachers up that had found it.

Steven

Yes, it does. Some people helped your traveler, and then later it went bad. If you took away my honest effort just to start fresh I'd probably avoid helping your next TB release, just in case you had another issue.

Good to know. Will come up with another plan. Looks like I will be buying some more tags. 8-)

Steven

Good to know. Will come up with another plan. Looks like I will be buying some more tags. 8-)

Between you, me and the fence post. Mileage don't count for nothing unless you are doing a race. Bugs are about sharing the experience and those who do move it are a blessing. Ain't nobody who cares if your bug had to be re-released two, ten or twelve times with a few miles already logged.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce