Category Proposal: Pergolas

Fellow Waymarkers,

A Pergolas Group is established (has been for a few years) and a category writeup is in the works. Once complete, it will be posted here in the forum for input before it is sent out for Peer Review.

I appreciate the input from the few of you who've responded to my previous topic regarding adding Pergolas to the Gazebos category as a variable. The officers of the Gazebos category haven't shown any interest in adding Pergolas to their category and from the feedback I received, it's apparent that the Pergolas are deserving of a category to themselves.

The potential Pergolas category will obviously require submissions to be artistic in value and interesting, architecturally and NOT a run-of-the-mill type of structure that would be considered commonplace. Pergolas with some historical value and a story to tell behind it get bonus points. Being an art major myself, I am pretty good at deciphering between what is considered aesthetically pleasing and what is not, and as leader of the group, I'll be monitoring each waymark submission. The category will include photo examples of both to help waymarkers make that decision before they submit something.

I'm excited to see what's out there in the world of Pergolas! If you want to read up on these structures, click here. I've waymarked two pergolas in other categories and you can see my examples here and here.

More to come!

thebeav69

kJfishman

bluesnote

silverquill

I had never heard of the term until I saw it come up in these forums. Oddly enough, I'm looking at one as I type!

When we had our old, rotted, non-treated-lumber deck replaced, we had the builder extend the posts up about 8 feet, put on 2 cross beams, and then put in crosss planks on edge between the cross beams. The climbing vine is still working its way across the structure, but we hope it'll soon add desidous shade.

It looks like some of the structures in the Wikipedia article on Pergolas. So here we have one, and I didn't know what it was!

This potential category will need a really good writeup to categorize what best represents a pergola. There are many types and variations worldwide and pictures and/or links to websites highlighting the 'cream of the crop' will be important. I've got just enough energy to start the description but if one of you wants to tackle this as well, I'd welcome the opportunity.

This potential category will need a really good writeup to categorize what best represents a pergola. There are many types and variations worldwide and pictures and/or links to websites highlighting the 'cream of the crop' will be important. I've got just enough energy to start the description but if one of you wants to tackle this as well, I'd welcome the opportunity.

Pergolas in Australia are structures as described by MountainWoods - found on the sides of residences & with a deciduous vine covering them.

Arbours are probably the closest to your pergola. These are found in municipal gardens & such like. They are relatively large structures covered with deciduous vines. You walk along under them & they may connect different parts of the garden, just be a means of shady relief or a garden feature. The closest I've seen to your example (not the boat house) is a covered footpath in Wollongong.

A bit of info to help you along.

Hi Beav, We are all in favor of this new category getting off the ground... :rolleyes:

We are taking pictures and storing them in our uncategorize folder...waiting for a place to post them.

We just joined the group, and are wondering if you still need help with the description?

BK-Hunters

Wintertime is the perfect time to re-focus energies on potential categories. This potential category is very close to being finalized and hopefully we can get this to Peer Review later this week. Since Pergolas are located across the globe, there shouldn't be any flack from our European friends regarding "Is it global enough?" ... hehe. <_<

Great! I like them a lot, but not all of them.

Gazebos are similar, but not that prevalent. Pergolas are over-prevalent in some parts of the world. So the category needs some restrictions and this is going to be the tricky part.

BTW: The Nay votes were mostly from Australia and NZ. The European Friends were very friendly this time.

As long as you are talking about not-gazebos. I have found some nice not gazebo, not bandshell, bandstands in parks. They are 4 sided, but not enclosed. Not enclosed on 3 sides means not bandshell, four-sided means not gazebo. But some of them are quite nice. Could we have a not gazebo, not bandshell, bandstand category?

The problem I can foresee with this category is the mundane, uninteresting pergolas. You know, the small, poorly-constructed, rotting ones. :laughing: It'll be difficult to exclude these while still accepting the great ones.

That challenge may put quite a burden on the reviewers. I can imagine poor examples slipping through and then being rejected long after being accepted.

Here's the link to the Pergolas category: Pergolas

Please look it over and give me your thoughts here. I created a collage of photos of pergolas in the description that should hopefully address what the officers are looking for in terms of quality and significance.

Arbors will also be included in the category since they look very similar to pergolas and many are visually appealing. I'll probably post a few pictures of arbors that we want (and don't want) submitted.

Thanks in advance for any feedback before this goes to an officer vote.

The problem I can foresee with this category is the mundane, uninteresting pergolas. You know, the small, poorly-constructed, rotting ones. :laughing: It'll be difficult to exclude these while still accepting the great ones.

That challenge may put quite a burden on the reviewers. I can imagine poor examples slipping through and then being rejected long after being accepted.

Don't worry :o:mad: - BK-Hunters already has several that'll test the mettle of the reviewers... :lol:

It looks very good.

A somewhat ordinary looking pergola would be considered if the site is historical, correct?

Correct. If the pergola has some interesting history attached to it to make up for its 'ordinary' look then we would gladly accept it. The key point here is that we want pergolas that would encourage a waymarker to come visit it.

These kind of pergolas with an history are the best to Waymark.

Take a ride on my E-Bike this weekend and when I'am Out Of Power I Visit an Electric Bike Charging Station. [under construction]

I will also use the database of Rijksmonumenten - Dutch National Monuments.

100% sure Historical Pergolas are also to find in the database of Dutch Municipal and Provincial Heritage. [under construction]

On a more serious. :blink:

Sorry that I missed this (old) topic. Great to see it comes alive.

This would be a great & potential global category and joined the group.

But they must have a historial story to tell !!!!

Grtz John.

The Pergolas category is up for an officer vote. Once approved, I'll send it to Peer Review.

FYI, I found a neat HTML coding trick to make the image collage of pergolas to shrink and expand to the browser window size (I never imagined Waymarking would force me to educate myself on HTML coding). :laughing: There is even additional HTML code I could use to make a Waymarking category more smartphone-friendly. I'll work on that later.

When is the last time a category got 100% of the vote?

This one did not get 100%, there were 2 Nays (remember votes can be hidden). Obviously the category passed with a very high percent and has now been approved by Groundspeak.

AWESOME!! When can we expect to see it in the grid so we can submit to it?

NEVER MIND -- I found in at 53P on the category grid. It seems an odd location, since I was looking for Pergolas at the end of the grid, with the other newly-approved categories around line 55.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz