Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morseman

IRLP net anyone?

Since there are now quite a few IRLP nodes around the world, I guess that it should be possible to meet up and have a chat?

There are a couple of problems, as far as I can see, as follows.

1. Agreeing which IRLP reflector to hook up to

2. Agreeing a time when enough people are awake, and around on the radio!

So, I'm going to link to the UK IRLP reflector by dialing in the DTMF access code 9700 at about 7pm UTC (or GMT - Greenwich Mean Time) each week day. If I don't hear anyone, then I'll also try 9200 (California) as well.

My call is G0DJA.

--... ...--

Morseman

Hi Morseman. 9700 looks like it's been idle for 40 days. I'm pretty new at this, but I'll read up on it at the IRLP site, & see if I can't hook up with you.

Callsign is KC2KNI

"Gimpy"

Originally posted by Gimpy:

see if I can't hook up with you.

Callsign is KC2KNI

QUOTE]

Not heard you, yet, but then again my plans to be on at 7pm each night got knocked back by bad traffic jams. :-(

If you know what number of your local IRLP node is, I'll fire it up from either GB3EE (5120) or GB3US (5150).

My callsign is G0DJA, by the way.

--... ...--

Morseman

I have tried to get OTHER hams to get on the air to chat with but to no avail. If I am not on the ait at the time of the call some one should be.....

Eric

KF6VFH

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

TOYOTA To Often Yuppies Overprice This Auto

Just read up on IRLP. If I understand this correctly, I connect to my local node (3420) and after waiting to see if in use, simply request a QSO with the desired node (or a particlular callsign on said node)?

I'll give this a try one of these evenings - maybe I can hook up with you, Eric, as we're in the same timezone. Once I've managed to figure this out, I can try and be available to listen for Morseman, et al, when their listening.

Matt

K7MTO

-

8260 is my node number. Its on a simplex freq so it's easy to access, i.e. not having to wait to use the repeater (not like ours is full with traffic all the time or anything). Here is a quick rundown Matt.

Check to make sure the freq/repeater is not in use. Annouce that your going to access the IRLP node on your end. Key the radio punch in the node number and "0" to bring it up and it should come back to you saying your connected. Different node have different ways of doing that (personalized voice on some). after it ID's wait about 5-9 sec before you key up. After you do wait another 2-3 before you start talking, atherwise all the links the "NET" has to do might not be finished yet and you'll cut off your first few words.

At the end of your QSO after you sign off with your contact, annouce that you'll be closing the node and press "73". That;ll shut you down. Easy.

Hard to explain it here. I can do that better in voice.

Talk to ya later..

Eric

KF6VFH

I work M-F 7-4 and am usually home by 4:30, but with 2 little ones (1 and 2.5) it's hard to commit to any particular time as I'm always 'needed' for something icon_smile.gif I'm off this Thursday at noon and all day Friday, so let's tentatively try Thursday evening say, 6-7 PST?

That way I can ensure any 'chores' I need to do can be taken care of ahead of time and I can give the wife advanced warning.

The node I listed above turns out to be a local repeater group private node so I can't use it. There is one across the river in Vancouver, WA which appears to be open to the public. It's node 7350 and their instructions are similar to what you posted above.

I may go try and connect right now as the kids are quiet (one sleeping, one drawing) and mom's out of the house....Keep an ear out for K7MTO.

-

I just got done doing a NET for our local club repeater, but I am on the irlp node. Can't wiat to hear from ya. I'll be sure to be by the radio at the time you mentioned (sp. Brain fart).

I' can give you the call on that node. I'll even try RIGHT NOW.....

KF6VFH

So after looking more closely at the local IRLP repeaters, I find only one 2m repeaters close enough to use.

8770 KB7ZPL Vancouver WA USA 145.0400 IDLE 55 mins

It's across the river in Vancouver and I'm *assuming* I can reach it from my location (west of Portland).

I can't locate any associated website or info on IRLP access codes for this particular repeater, so I'm guessing at them. They either aren't working or I'm not doing things properly (likely the latter icon_smile.gif ).

If I understand correctly, I tune my radio to this frequency and listen for a few mins to see if it's in use. Assuming it's not, I announce my prescence and intent to contact another IRLP node, then wait a bit to ensure nobody has any objections. If all clear, I key my mike, wait a few seconds, enter your IRLP node number followed by this IRLP noded access code. Assuming it's either 0 or 1, I enter 8-2-6-0-0 or 8-2-6-0-1 and unkey. Wait 10-20 seconds for the repeater to inform me that I'm connected. If confirmed, at this point I can key the mike, wait a few seconds and then try to reach you (or anyone) on the repeater. Once the QSO is complete, I announce intent to disconnect from your node, then key the mike and enter your nodes code + the disconnect code (again possibly either 0, 1, 73 or *73).

I've tried multiple combinations, to access but I'm not having any luck. Maybe you can shed some light on what I might be doing wrong, or point me to some info on access codes for the above repeater.

-

Hi Morseman,

This idea of your sounds like a good thing for other Hams from around the world to do.

My name is Michael and my call is VA3 MRB

I am from Milton, Ontario, Canada. My local I R L P node is VE3 OAK number 2190. I am usually monitoring it. Hope to hear from you and other hams from around the world.

73's Happy geocaching

Michael VA3 MRB

I'm going to give it another shot.I've got all your nodes listed, & I'll go thru each & see if I can hook up with anyone.

My local node is N2HJD, #7250, Rochester, New York

IvanMike, I think I'm even in your time zone. Just across Lake Ontario.

Hope to hook up with someone.

Gary, KC2KNI.

"Gimpy"

quote:

Assuming it's either 0 or 1, I enter 8-2-6-0-0 or 8-2-6-0-1 and unkey.

That's not quite right, the code should only be a 4 figure number. The access used to be a one or a zero as the fourth digit, but that has changed.

If you want to, say, access node number 826 (as was) you used to dial 8260 to access and 8261 to disconnect. However, they changed the logic, so as to release more numbers.

The new sequence is 8260 to access and 73 to disconnect.

You also mention 'multiple' links. The IRLP system is normally a "one-to-one" link. So, you connect from your link to another node, and you have to disconnect to access another. This is why the "reflectors" were set up. Reflectors usually start with the number "9". So, 9700 is the UK reflector, 9200 is Indiana (I think!) and there are others on 9100, 9300, 9400 etc., again, your local node should respond to the number 73 as the closedown, otherwise try subsituting the fouth digit with a "1" until all the nodes catch up with the upgrade. E.g., access the node using, say, 9700 and disconnect using 9701.

HTH?

--... ...--

Morseman

Had power outage yesterday and could not get on the net. That seems to be the jist of it. Also, node seems to be down do to adverse weather...

Keep you posted...

KF6VFH

Makes more sense now. I'll try again to access the one local 2m IRLP repeater and connect to yours, Steak. Possibly tomorrow evening if things are calm (house is on the market so we're always running around either cleaning or vacating to let folks see it).

As a test, I tried to key in the presumed access code (8-2-6-0) to see if I could get a response from the repeater. No joy. I tried 8-2-6-1 as well. Still no luck. I'm wondering if I'm even close enough to the repeater or blocked by some of the ridges here. Maybe I'll drive up to a high point where I know I have line of sight to it and try from there. As a precaution, I entered 7-3 before I abandoned my attempts.

I'll figure this stuff out eventually icon_smile.gif

Matt

K7MTO

-

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Makes more sense now. I'll try again to access the one local 2m IRLP repeater and connect to yours, Steak.

Do you know what the access number of your node is? If not, whih city is the repeater in please?

I have a list of node numbers by City name, so I can probably find it from that. It's available on the web, but I've lost the URL icon_rolleyes.gif

If you let me know the number, I'll call through tonight. But given the time difference, you may or may not be about, of course.

--... ...--

Morseman

Here's the link to the IRLP site's list of all nodes...

http://status.irlp.net/statuspage.html

The node in question is this one - the only 2m repeater close enough for me to hit.

8770 KB7ZPL Vancouver WA USA 145.0400 IDLE 62 mins

Detail for this node is as follows - note there is no associated website or email address for the owner (not even when looking up his callsign at QRZ, ARRL or FCC websites.

Node Number 8770

Node Callsign KB7ZPL

Node City Vancouver

Node Province/State WA

Node Country USA

Node Owner/Sponsor Terry Lynch

Node Latitude 45.677582 North

Node Longitude 122.56576 West

Node Base Frequency (MHz) 145.0400

Node Offset Frequency (KHz) 0.0000

Node PL (Hz) 100.0

Node Website URL

Local node date/time 17:10:53 on Dec 17 2002 PST

Current Node Status: IDLE for 63 mins

Time of last status change: 16:07:06 on Dec 17 2002 PST

Last heard from Node: 17:07:06 on Dec 17 2002 PST

Hence, there don't seem to be any documented access codes for this node, nor any way to contact it's owner.

Matt/K7MTO

-

quote:

Here's the link to the IRLP site's list of all nodes...

-

Thanks for the URL and info. on 8770, I'll give it a call on the way home.

--... ...--

Morseman

Matt,

While scanning last night, I discovered another IRLP node that you should be able to hear. It is node #3420 on the 440.450 repeater in the west hills. From looking at their web page, they have access codes for members only, but someone else should be able to call you on it. Check out their web site for more info.

- Wayne KD7SWM

quote:
Originally posted by waynem:

Matt,

they have access codes for members only,

This might be a bit of a Troll. icon_biggrin.gif

I thought you had "Freedom of Speach" (Sorry, that's only for Spammers, isn't it? I know it's spelt Speech but the Spammers don't seem to realise icon_razz.gif) over there?

So, how do people set up closed repeaters on an Amateur Band in the US? Over here, all repeaters have to be accessable by anyone. There's even resistance to repeaters having CTCSS only access, even when the CTCSS tones are advertised and even given in the CW ident as a letter which then relates to a widely available list of CTCSS frequencies by region of the country. A body of UK amateurs are adamant that 1750Hz tone access should be available as well as CTCSS on all repeaters in the amateur bands.

--... ...--

Morseman

I don't know how someone could force you *not* to transmit on a frequency their repeater is using if it falls within legal band boundaries. It seems by definition, all repeaters would have to be open if within band.

As I understand it, most, if not all, repeaters are open for general use. As expected, users should switch to simplex if possible and/or if the QSO will last more than a few minutes.

Most repeaters are either privately owned or owned by local Ham clubs. Many of them also provide autopatch, IRLP, etc. functionality but the clubs limit these priveleges (access codes) to dues paying members (those who help supplement installation/maintenance costs).

I suppose it's within their rights to do so if they foot the bill to install and maintain the equipment.

So far I've yet to find a 2m IRLP repeater close enough which I can access from home which also supplies the access codes. Maybe I'll string up a dipole and build a Linux IRLP node of my own icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:

Most repeaters are either privately owned or owned by local Ham clubs. Many of them also provide autopatch, IRLP, etc. functionality but the clubs limit these priveleges (access codes) to dues paying members (those who help supplement installation/maintenance costs).

So far I've yet to find a 2m IRLP repeater close enough which I can access from home which also supplies the access codes. Maybe I'll string up a dipole and build a Linux IRLP node of my own icon_smile.gif

Even restricting additional facilities would probably cause a row over here. HI! Though, some people over here think that the RSGB and/or the RA (the equivalent of the FCC, in the UK) pay for the repeaters.

I heard someone on GB3EE (IRLP node 5120) today, but I was out Geodashing in Lincolnshire. I did call in on a high spot, but unfortunately hit a dip just after that. icon_confused.gif

If anyone off here did call through 5120 - Appologies, I will keep listening out for you.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

I heard someone on GB3EE (IRLP node 5120) today, but I was out Geodashing in Lincolnshire. I did call in on a high spot, but unfortunately hit a dip just after that. icon_confused.gif

If anyone off here did call through 5120 - Appologies, I will keep listening out for you.

--... ...--

Morseman

Hey, Morseman. That would be Wyzyrd,(Mike) from up here in upstate New York. He tried getting you, & ended up striking up a conversation with someone else. IRLP is working great around here. So many local repeaters, that it seams like there's amost as much intercontinental traffic as there is local. Having a good ol' time. I'll try to hook up with you again within the next couple of days. If I don't get you, have a great New Year. And the same to all the rest of the Hams/Cachers here. icon_biggrin.gif

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.