Question about replacement tag

ll JK ll

Hey guys, I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer for this situation.

One of my travelers (Spidey TB) has been picked up by another cacher but he/she informed me the TB tag is missing. Very graciously, this cacher has offered to add a new tag and send Spidey on his way.

How will this work with the trackable page? I don't see an option to change to a new tracking code so do I have to essentially start over with a new page?

Thanks!

I don't understand how they've managed to log they retrieved your TB from the cache if it didn't have the tag with tracking number attached to it...

Did they find the tracking number on a separate piece of paper such as the 'mission statement' with your TB? Or maybe it was logged into the cache and they contacted you to give them the tracking number?

If they are kindly offering to put a new tag on it then all they need to do is make a new tag, maybe from card, with the tracking number and "Trackable at geocaching.com" on it. If they can laminate it in some way then that will be good and it'll last longer. Then it just needs to be attached to Spidey and off he goes again on his travels. No need for any change of numbers.

MrsB :)

Some geocachers simply write the (correct) number on another tag or medium. I have seen it simply written on a plastic baggie (not a good idea); carved into a small block of wood and highlighted -- darkened, really; also tags made by a jewelry store (many sell dogtag-like items).

There are places that specialize in (re)making TB tags. There was a thread about it here in the TB forum not too long ago.

There is no need to "replace" the number.... it is yours forever. How or what you attach it to the hitchhiker is up to you.

Interesting though, is how did the cacher that found the hitchhiker with no tag#, log it? And to top that off, know it was a TB without it having the tag? Looks to me as though it would be a simple SWAG item without the tag.

EDIT to add: one of many "replacement" tag makers: http://www.gxproxy.com/

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I was curious about that too. I'm not sure how one would be able to log it if the tag was missing. Here is the note that was left on the trackable page:

"Some how spider man got separate from this travel bug. Seeing how my daughter is a big fan of spider man, I think we can wrangle up another one and send it on it's way. I will get it on 95 and hopefully it will make its way to NY."

As far as knowing whether or not it was a trackable I assumed he/she saw the inventory has "Spidey TB" and maybe looked at the pic on its page.

I'm going to contact him/her and inquire further but I wanted to get some experienced opinions beforehand. Thanks for the advice :)

I was curious about that too. I'm not sure how one would be able to log it if the tag was missing. Here is the note that was left on the trackable page:

"Some how spider man got separate from this travel bug. Seeing how my daughter is a big fan of spider man, I think we can wrangle up another one and send it on it's way. I will get it on 95 and hopefully it will make its way to NY."

As far as knowing whether or not it was a trackable I assumed he/she saw the inventory has "Spidey TB" and maybe looked at the pic on its page.

I'm going to contact him/her and inquire further but I wanted to get some experienced opinions beforehand. Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, do ask. Because logging a "Retrieval" without the number is impossible.

EDIT: A thought just popped into my head..... they found the TAG w/o spidey attached. Not very clear in the log, but I think that is probably what happened.

Just so you know, we NEVER use the supplied bead-link chain for a TB. They are next to worthless. Use either a large split-ring or a cable w/crush-ferrules.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Okay, I got a little clarification. The tag was in the cache but the Spider-Man figure was missing. Now it makes sense.

The lady who found it said her daughter is willing to part with one of her Spidey figures to make my trackable complete again. What a nice gesture!

Thanks again for the replies