Proposal to add Pergolas to the Gazebos Category

Greetings, fellow waymarkers,

I've been trying to contact the leaders/officers of the Gazebos category to possibly include Pergolas as an addition to the category vs. creating a whole separate category for pergolas. Many architects and historians consider pergolas a type of gazebo. (You can read more about pergolas by clicking the link on the word)

I've become very interested of late in these often elaborate and ornamental structures and recently found two pergolas in Seattle while visiting over the holidays that are listed in the National Register of Historic Places here and here. I also know of two more in California that I came across in my travels last summer. I just know that hundreds of these pergolas probably exist worldwide. I believe they were first built in Italy in ancient times and have spread out as a form of architectural cover for pedestrians. Some are hundreds of years old or older. Of course, I feel a potential waymark for a pergola would require it to be permanent and publicly accessible and follow the same guidelines as gazebos.

If the Gazebo officers aren't receptive to including Pergolas as an addition to their category, how many of you reading this would consider the possibility of adding a stand-alone Pergola category?

Happy Waymarking!

thebeav69

I see Pergolas as a distinct type of structures, quite different to what you find in the Gazebo category. I would welcome a category for them.

But there are some points to consider. I guess, there are not hundreds, but hundreds of thousands worldwide, even if you don't count private property like gardens. I've been to areas in at least a dozen countries where almost every restaurant has a pergola as outdoor seating area and I have also seen a lot of shabby and boring ones.

So you should think about some restrictions to make the idea more successful.