Constructing a multicache

clarinetqueen

I am working on constructing a multicache. The first stage will be in a public library and the final at a location a couple of miles away. I know the library director personally and he has agreed to accommodate anything I want to do.

There is another cache placed about 300 feet away from the library, so I am running into proximity issues. I have been in touch with my reviewer and he/she told me that as long as there is not a physical stage in the library, then I will be fine. I have no proximity issues with the final location.

My question is - what constitutes a "physical" stage? I have many ideas as to how to make my cache work. One of them involves looking up information in newspaper archives to determine the final coordinates. However, would it be permissible for me to hide a note as well? Is that considered a physical stage, because I put a piece of paper there? It wouldn't contain any information, maybe just to clarify the directions from the cache page and to wish them good luck.

I appreciate your help in clarifying this for me! Please be nice...I'm learning!

Yes, anything YOU put there is a physical stage.

But, libraries are FULL of numbers!

You should have no trouble finding something already there to use.

Just be careful (assuming you want people to actually go into the library) to not use something that can be found using internet research.

Just be sure to use something that isn't likely to be changed.

I have done a library cache that had the co-operation of the staff, and the 'book' was listed in the electronic 'card catalog' under the cache owner's name as the author.

Perhaps you could get an entry in the catalog (that wouldn't be a physical object, right?) that would give cachers the numbers they need to proceed to Stage 2?

'My Geocaching Adventure' by Clarinet Queen

Anything you place into the environment is a physical stage that counts towards the Cache Saturation guideline.

Examples: zip ties, magnets, stamped metal tags. Exception: an object that conveys no information, such as a fire tack.

Anything that's already in the environment is a virtual stage that does not count towards the Cache Saturation guideline.

Examples: statues, historic markers, gravestones, signs, numbered utility poles.

The library's reference copy of the newspaper is a virtual stage. Your explanatory note would be a physical stage. Try to figure out a way to put the instructions on the cache page in a way that only makes sense once the geocacher is reading the newspaper.

Thanks for the clarification! My only problem was that I didn't want to give away *too* much on the cache as to what exactly I want them to do. I wanted them to get there and be like "Oh wow, I have to do that?" (I'm trying not to give to much away here). I'll just have to find a way to be a little vague but still give enough info so they figure out what they have to do.

Examples: zip ties, magnets, stamped metal tags. Exception: an object that conveys no information, such as a fire tack.
I'm trying to understand where Groundspeak has chosen to draw the line here. What is meant by "no information"? Because the night caches I've done that have used reflectors have used them in ways that conveyed information, for example:

- make your way to this point

- this is the correct trail

- this is not the correct trail

- stop here and search (although we were searching there for a physical stage anyway)

- continue another 100ft and search

Is the distinction that the reflectors merely exist, and that any information is communicated in the cache description or other instructions, where you are told what the reflectors' existence means?

Does that mean that reflectors that DO convey information (e.g., a series of white and red reflectors that communicate binary data) are considered physical stages? But that reflectors that do not convey information are not?

And does this apply to other markers that do not "convey information", such as painted stones, or unmarked metal tags, or zip ties that aren't attached to anything and that aren't arranged in a way that encodes information?

I'm trying to understand where Groundspeak has chosen to draw the line here. What is meant by "no information"? Because the night caches I've done that have used reflectors have used them in ways that conveyed information, for example:

- make your way to this point

- this is the correct trail

- this is not the correct trail

- stop here and search (although we were searching there for a physical stage anyway)

- continue another 100ft and search

Is the distinction that the reflectors merely exist, and that any information is communicated in the cache description or other instructions, where you are told what the reflectors' existence means?

Does that mean that reflectors that DO convey information (e.g., a series of white and red reflectors that communicate binary data) are considered physical stages? But that reflectors that do not convey information are not?

And does this apply to other markers that do not "convey information", such as painted stones, or unmarked metal tags, or zip ties that aren't attached to anything and that aren't arranged in a way that encodes information?

Firetacks and similar items were excluded from the 'item placed by the cacher' catagory for several reasons - size, quantity, and lack of information.

- They are small. Typicaly the size of a thumbtack or twisty-tie.

- Quatity. There easily can be a few dozen in a three mile trail and effectivly block additional caches.

- Lack of information. They are not meant to be 'found' in the 'puit your grubby paws on it sense. Once found visualy, you only need to get close to it in order to find the next point.

There is a bit of wiggle room between a thumb tack and a metal tag with coordinates stamped on it. If you think you may want to use an item that fall in between, such as a painted stone or a shoe hanging in a tree, you may want to consult your revierwe for their view before going too far.

Thanks for the clarification! My only problem was that I didn't want to give away *too* much on the cache as to what exactly I want them to do. I wanted them to get there and be like "Oh wow, I have to do that?" (I'm trying not to give to much away here). I'll just have to find a way to be a little vague but still give enough info so they figure out what they have to do.

You could use an optional book cipher to encode the instructions to stage 2. (Or if it's not going to be optional, make sure to grade the difficulty accordingly and give it the "field puzzle" attribute.)

As others have said you can't leave a physical note at the library (due to proximity), but there are other ways you can do what you want. (Which is to give the finder some additional information only after they find some info at the library).

Having those instructions on the cache page but in a cipher which needs info from the Library to crack is one option. Though you would need to be careful that it is not possible to crack it without the library info.

Another could be to put some information on the internet. I assume the library probably has public internet access (though perhaps with a fee). Some existing information in the library could be used to get a URL which gives you additional information.

Or you could put your note in a physical stage somewhere else, which does not have a proximity clash. So the finder needs to go to the library, then to another stage to get your note.

I know of one library where it is used as a virtual (question to answer) stage for one cache; and also is home to the final physical container for another.