New Category Icons

On 10/9/2018 at 6:55 PM, wayfrog said:

Done.

Thanks Wayfrog :)

On 10/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Okay just checked and it is now updated with the new icon.  

Thanks razalas for another great icon and wayfrog for adding it to the category. 

Mystery solved? :huh:

Of course, the category has its unique icon :D

• Upvote 3
On 7/8/2021 at 6:28 AM, razalas said:

I have tried to create an icon for the new category "Elevated Buildings", here are some attempts:

a.gif

b.gif

c.gif

d.gif

What do you think?

OMG!!!

I completely forgot about an icon for the category.  I had made an icon 4de97e1e-51f1-4dab-8e4f-c75a04bdc292_a.j for the group page, but never thought about the icon for the category!

So THANKS, Pedro for going ahead and doing these. I will follow the crowd and go with #2. It's the clearest and most obvious "Elevated Building".

So, is our Wayfroggie listening?!?!?! I'd love it if Pedro's #2 were to magically become the Elevated Buildings' icon. Hint, hint... ...

Keith

On 7/13/2021 at 5:58 PM, ScroogieII said:

OMG!!!

I completely forgot about an icon for the category.  I had made an icon 4de97e1e-51f1-4dab-8e4f-c75a04bdc292_a.j for the group page, but never thought about the icon for the category!

So THANKS, Pedro for going ahead and doing these. I will follow the crowd and go with #2. It's the clearest and most obvious "Elevated Building".

So, is our Wayfroggie listening?!?!?! I'd love it if Pedro's #2 were to magically become the Elevated Buildings' icon. Hint, hint... ...

Keith

I would choose the second too. 

I'm glad you liked it, thanks. 

:)

Been a few weeks since the WWI Sites category has been live. Think it's time for a new category icon, besides the default one. Similar to the WWII sites, I feel the category should have the same icon. But instead of "WW II" it should have "WWI" at the top of the monument. I also feel the WWI memorials/monuments category should also have this fix, from the default memorial/monument icon to differentiate it from others. Thoughts? Comments? Let's hear them!

If I recall correctly, there was a thread where new category grid icons were created, I was unable to find it.

Funny thing happened today, in one of the categories I created, I declined a waymark.

I received a kind note from the submitter that the submission I declined was the same model as the image used for the category grid icon.

The category was approved about 5 years ago, and I NEVER noticed.  I was not only surprised, I was rather amused that the submitter was so observant.

Can an existing grid icon be changed?

Only time I've seen them change was some time after a new category gets approved. When the generic icon becomes, in lack of better words, the more specific icon. I remember a few years ago, most of the historical marker categories got an overhaul in their icons and that occurred several years after these categories were approved. But other than this, I can't think of other times they were updated. But I would assume it's possible.

10 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Can an existing grid icon be changed?

The category icons are small gif images, stored on the webserver of Waymarking.com. Probably there has also some entry in the database to be changed to point to the new image.

Assuming this as given, an exchange / extra image of the icon should be fairly easy for an administrator - perhaps he also has some administrative pages that will help to reduce the amount of work needed ....

So the answer to the question would be yes - but I am pretty sure that a change of an icon is a thing that happens only once in a year or less ... and that it needs a good reason for an exchange.

Hi, not too sure we are on the same "page".

I can change a logo (icon) from the "Group Detail "page", if I am the group leader or have permission to edit the category.

As far as I am aware, a new "grid" icon is created and an admin is the only one who can insert it into the "grid"

Here is an example of some grid icons: The Grid

I am no leader of a gategory, so I can't tell what possibilities are given for an edit of the category. But I think we are talking about the same thing.

7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

I can change a logo (icon) from the "Group Detail "page", if I am the group leader or have permission to edit the category.

This would be the box marked wit a "1" in the image below. According to your explanation this one is changeable by you as the leader.

7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

As far as I am aware, a new "grid" icon is created and an admin is the only one who can insert it into the "grid"

This would be the box marked with a "2" in the image below. This one can only be changed by the administrators (and that would answer your question "Can an existing grid icon be changed?" from the initial post with yes). I tried to express that in the post above - sorry for my bad writing skills.

Icons.jpg.98018b8d03907c10afce581dad48f763.jpg