Posting Puzzle solutions on Facebook

jellis

Wow I just got an email about one of my puzzles having the solution being posted on Facebook and a group of cachers having mine and other cachers puzzle coords removed from the Facebook. I see the cacher has already been restricted and his account locked from GC. Anyone else get notified?

This is what the email said. Removed the personal info:

Your puzzle has been spoiled on a NEW facebook page!

I am not the puzzle spoiler! TxxxxxXxxxxxxx IS!!!

TxxxxxXxxxxxxx’s first facebook page was taken down yesterday by Facebook!

If you have had issues with TxxxxxXxxxxxxx in the past and believe without a doubt he is the one responsible for the puzzle spoiler, please copy and paste the below (in blue) email to contact@geocaching.com today.

This is a group effort by us cache owners whose puzzles have been spoiled on the Facebook site. If you know somebody else who may want to participate, please forward this email to them. Even if you don't get the email in today, send it in whenever you can! EVERY VOICE COUNTS in this matter.

Copy/paste starts here!

As a paying member of Groundspeak, I am one of a group of many cachers who want all of TxxxxxXxxxxxxx's known and future accounts permanently locked

Enough is enough!

Edited by jellis

You realize that by posing this here people can easly google "geocachin puzzle facebook" and find out what you are talking about. This is one instance where causing a ruckus is only helping them. Other wise many people would have no idea.

From what I hear he has been doing this for a long time.

have heard of a few people have a small group of friends who share, but that is a small group and they keep them to themselves, or so I hear. Do not know about this other stuff myself bud.

personally, I keep my puzzle solving attempts in a small group in email, not facebook.

So have I, but puzzle solving attempts is different from puzzle solution sharing. Collaborating with someone in an attempt to solve a puzzle (when neither has solved it prior to collaborating) is a fun way to work on puzzles and I don't see it as any different as a couple of geocachers going out for the day to find a few caches together.

You realize that by posing this here people can easly google "geocachin puzzle facebook" and find out what you are talking about. This is one instance where causing a ruckus is only helping them. Other wise many people would have no idea.

Doesn't do anything for me. Of course I don't have a Facebook account. :laughing:

Interesting. I do know a guy in passing who was banned from Geocaching.com for 30 days in 2008 or 2009 for posting puzzle cache solutions to Facebook. I was not aware "they" would still do this. That was not long before the late Sven came along, and eventually was allowed to keep his "Geocache Spoilers" YouTube channel up, and even resulted in a change in policy about posting spoilers to sites on the internet that are NOT Geocaching.com

Right around the time of his unfortunate death, Sven had an American copy-cat from Arizona, but the guy only Geocached for 4 months, hasn't logged in in almost a year, and deleted his YouTube channel. I do not know if any of this happened because he receieved any hate mail, or pressure from The Frog.

have heard of a few people have a small group of friends who share, but that is a small group and they keep them to themselves, or so I hear. Do not know about this other stuff myself bud.

personally, I keep my puzzle solving attempts in a small group in email, not facebook.

So have I, but puzzle solving attempts is different from puzzle solution sharing. Collaborating with someone in an attempt to solve a puzzle (when neither has solved it prior to collaborating) is a fun way to work on puzzles and I don't see it as any different as a couple of geocachers going out for the day to find a few caches together.

Makes sense to me. It seems as though someone who is sharing so many solutions with the masses is just a socially maladjusted individual begging for some misguided sense of validation. Insecurity at its most pathetic. People who use the solutions (who did no work to solve the puzzle nor have a real social connection with the spoiler) are just leeches who discredit the spirit of the game.

It's sad really. Sad for the spoiler. Sad for the user of those solutions. Sad for the CO who has his/her hard work spoiled. And sad for the finders who have rightfully solved and found those puzzles only to have their accomplishment diluted.

My 2 cents...

As I have said before, people are going to share solution to puzzles.

I'm am much more angry at the sock-puppet account sending me multiple angry emails asking me to demand Grounspeak do something. The person accused of posting the spoilers did indeed find one of my puzzle. He was in fact one of a small handleful who found it and I may have been the only one who actually solved it. If he is spoiling that puzzle, it's already archived so even if I cared about my puzzle being spoiled, it's a moot poin.

In fact I already believed that he shared his solution with at least some of the other finders of that puzzle. I don't care. People are going to share. I also don't care if he (or someone else) posts answers on Facebook. People who want to solve the puzzle can easily avoid the spoilers. People who want to have it spoiled will try to find someone willing to share the answer. Facebook or any spoiler site is simple a tool used for the natural tendancy to share puzzle answers. :smile:

I had two dropped and while I wished they weren't who really cares. People are going to do what they want and if they want to turn a puzzle into a traditional well while I don't agree I guess there really isn't much I can do. The fact that this person gave the locution online doesn't stop all the others from finding their wn shortcuts. I would prefer my puzzles not be spoiled but hey what can you do. I could solve a puzzle and email everyone I want. Same thing. Too each their wn!

along the same lines as the original topic...

tb's and coins are being expoited and shared with the masses on fb as well. what I find sad is many of the followers of these pages either post tb/coin #'s for everyone to discover, or aide and abed this practice of virtual logging by discovering what they find in the posts...

just another way to falsely inflate trackables in my opinion... todays' cachers seem to have very few scruples and moral character....

I received the same email on Tuesday. Although it appears to be from someone who is complaining about TT, the sock is likely from that same person, as the account name (locked the same day) was very similar to the person they were complaining about. Whoever it is, thinks it is funny, and wants there to be a thread about it.

I suggest that the OP should close the thread, which is feeding them. Apparently Groundspeak cannot control what is posted elsewhere, and this thread only helps them.

Since Snoogans is friends with the Facebook account, and he posts here often, why don't you direct your questions to him? :D

as long as someone makes too hard puzzles, and as long as someone else really want to solve them,

but cant, there will be people trying to : work together to solve it, share how to, share solutions, share finals..

how they do this, can be a million ways, email, sms, phonecall, face to face, at events, at puzzle solver meetings, at facebook

you name it..

the only way to stop it, is to stop making rediculus hard to solve puzzles, they waste our time anyway,

geocaching is supposed to be an outdoor sport, not an indoor braniac club for IQ play clever folks.

I received the same email on Tuesday. Although it appears to be from someone who is complaining about TT, the sock is likely from that same person, as the account name (locked the same day) was very similar to the person they were complaining about. Whoever it is, thinks it is funny, and wants there to be a thread about it.

I suggest that the OP should close the thread, which is feeding them. Apparently Groundspeak cannot control what is posted elsewhere, and this thread only helps them.

Since Snoogans is friends with the Facebook account, and he posts here often, why don't you direct your questions to him? :D

Well, with the first 3 people reporting here that they got the email being from the West Coast, I figured this was all going on there, but *YOU*, in New Jersey got one? Yes, it sounds like someone who is just messing with forum posters, and wanted to see a threaed. You know, like when Ashnikes errr, I mean Ashnikes ex-roomate was attacking the website. :ph34r:

Well, with the first 3 people reporting here that they got the email being from the West Coast, I figured this was all going on there, but *YOU*, in New Jersey got one? Yes, it sounds like someone who is just messing with forum posters, and wanted to see a threaed. You know, like when Ashnikes errr, I mean Ashnikes ex-roomate was attacking the website. :ph34r:

Actually no. This person on Facebook is posting solutions to puzzles all over the globe.

Its most likely because I started a thread about it in August when I discovered it. It appears his primary account is currently locked as of January 8th. Obviously he is upset over it and is creating socks so he can send harassing e-mails, with the pitiful hope it can be discussed here. The sock was locked by the time I read the e-mail. It's a textbook example of clinical obsessive behavior, along with at least 2 different types of personality disorders.

Perhaps it could be helpful to rather discuss his types of mental disorders, so he can recognize the symptoms and seek help. Here are a few listed on Wikipedia. It looks like he has traits of "Cluster B"

Cluster B (dramatic, emotional or erratic disorders)

Not to be confused with Type B personality.

-Antisocial personality disorder: a pervasive disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, and (generally) a pattern of regular criminal activity.

-Borderline personality disorder: extreme "black and white" thinking, instability in relationships, self-image, identity and behavior often leading to self-harm and impulsivity.

-Histrionic personality disorder: pervasive attention-seeking behavior including inappropriately seductive behavior and shallow or exaggerated emotions.

-Narcissistic personality disorder: a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy. Characterized by self-importance, preoccupations with fantasies, belief that they are special, including a sense of entitlement and a need for excessive admiration, and extreme levels of jealousy and arrogance.

More dominant Antisocial and Narcissistic with a minor in Histrionic and Borderline.

However, I would not say he has a obsessive compulsive personality disorder, but rather the regular obsessive compulsive which is a bit different. Being obsessed with geocaching, but also being banned a few times and bragging about it, shows he is obsessed but yet anti-social at the same time. I suppose he has a need to solve puzzles, but yet cannot solve, or is unwilling to solve or find a way out of his own mental disorders. I hope he gets help.

Its most likely because I started a thread about it in August when I discovered it. It appears his primary account is currently locked as of January 8th. Obviously he is upset over it and is creating socks so he can send harassing e-mails, with the pitiful hope it can be discussed here. The sock was locked by the time I read the e-mail. It's a textbook example of clinical obsessive behavior, along with at least 2 different types of personality disorders.

Perhaps it could be helpful to rather discuss his types of mental disorders, so he can recognize the symptoms and seek help. Here are a few listed on Wikipedia. It looks like he has traits of "Cluster B"

-Antisocial personality disorder: a pervasive disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, and (generally) a pattern of regular criminal activity.

-Borderline personality disorder: extreme "black and white" thinking, instability in relationships, self-image, identity and behavior often leading to self-harm and impulsivity.

-Histrionic personality disorder: pervasive attention-seeking behavior including inappropriately seductive behavior and shallow or exaggerated emotions.

-Narcissistic personality disorder: a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy. Characterized by self-importance, preoccupations with fantasies, belief that they are special, including a sense of entitlement and a need for excessive admiration, and extreme levels of jealousy and arrogance.

More dominant Antisocial and Narcissistic with a minor in Histrionic and Borderline.

However, I would not say he has a obsessive compulsive personality disorder, but rather the regular obsessive compulsive which is a bit different. Being obsessed with geocaching, but also being banned a few times and bragging about it, shows he is obsessed but yet anti-social at the same time. I suppose he has a need to solve puzzles, but yet cannot solve, or is unwilling to solve or find a way out of his own mental disorders. I hope he gets help.

That is some funny stuff. Of course he really doesn't think he has a personality disorder, he's just trolling. One could say the perpetrator of the Manti Te'o hoax was just trolling too. I'd like to think he has a personality disorder though. :P

Of course he really doesn't think he has a personality disorder, he's just trolling. One could say the perpetrator of the Manti Te'o hoax was just trolling too. I'd like to think he has a personality disorder though. :P

My wife is a shrink, so I hear about these things. The deal with personality disorders is that they are not "ego dystonic," which is fancy way of saying that people with them don't think there is anything wrong with themselves.

Anyone who would publish solutions to puzzles online is a very, very sick individual, IMO.

That is some funny stuff. Of course he really doesn't think he has a personality disorder, he's just trolling. One could say the perpetrator of the Manti Te'o hoax was just trolling too. I'd like to think he has a personality disorder though. :P

Obsessive antisocial behavior (being banned several times), coupled with bragging about it on his profile, and then creating several sockpuppet accounts to e-mail harassing messages to people he's never met? It's a little extreme. :D He's fighting a battle with himself. He has a problem, but yet cannot focus on something else. It's similar to the guy who picks his own scabs and yells at them. Most people would put on a bandage and move on..

People that troll have internal conflicts that they try to minimize by making others upset in contrast. He's purposely doing something to annoy others. Perhaps many people wouldn't mind their puzzle solution being posted elsewhere, but instead of asking permission, he posts it behind their backs, and then rubs it in their faces. I am aware that he has also broken laws and bragged about it in logs. Unstable people who are not corrected eventually step up their behavior.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

My wife is a shrink, so I hear about these things. The deal with personality disorders is that they are not "ego dystonic," which is fancy way of saying that people with them don't think there is anything wrong with themselves.

Wait - does that go both ways? Is my self-diagnosis of Avoidant Personality Disorder invalid because I am the one who came up with it?

I hope not -- I finally had an answer when people would ask what is my problem.

I'm struggling to see the problem here. I have started doing puzzle caches now. I have never accidentally stumbled on a puzzle solution whilst out surfing the web. So far I have managed to complete the puzzles using either the cache page of a google search based on the type of cypher. I am however prepared to google the solution if the cache puzzle beats me, it won't spoil the cache for me as googling the solution means I have admitted defeat. I could understand if the solution was posted in the cache log.

If someone were to post the solution to my puzzle cache on the facebook site, then fine. I also tell cachers the correct answer if they email me saying 'Can I have the answer please?' or give them hints if that's what they want. I'm happy if people find my caches and have a good time in finding them. If someone is unable to solve my puzzle, who am I to spoil their caching fun by withholding the answer from them.

I do stand to be corrected on this matter, but at the moment I cannot see the real harm done, other than breaking GS guidelines about doing it.

I know, just from my point of view, that the point to geocaching is to actually be able to find caches. There are a few puzzle wizards in my area that are good at solving some of the impossible puzzles that a certain couple of cacher, whom shall go nameless, think are the greatest puzzle developers on the planet. I think they actually get real enjoyment out of stumping local cachers with, IMO, ridiculously hard puzzles. Puzzles weren't made to for other cachers to need 37,000,000 transpositional ciphers, and base 395 code breakers to or wahtever they are to have to solve. Personally, I stay away from these types of caches, because I'm not going to spend literally weeks working on one stupid puzzle. I have better caches to look for than waste time on these types of caches. I have had a couple of puzzle caches myself and will provide guidance or even the final coords if someone were to ask me. I mostly do Challenge caches now as I think those add more fun to caching for me personally and TBH, some of them are pretty hard, but not ridiculously impossible. :)

He spoiled four of my puzzles as well. I sorta have to laugh at him, because it seems he mostly hits really easy puzzles. On mine, all four were easy ones, and one was even archived for some time! At the very least, if you're going to spoil puzzles, at least be better than a mediocre puzzle solver. :laughing:

I'm struggling to see the problem here. I have started doing puzzle caches now. I have never accidentally stumbled on a puzzle solution whilst out surfing the web. So far I have managed to complete the puzzles using either the cache page of a google search based on the type of cypher. I am however prepared to google the solution if the cache puzzle beats me, it won't spoil the cache for me as googling the solution means I have admitted defeat. I could understand if the solution was posted in the cache log.

If someone were to post the solution to my puzzle cache on the facebook site, then fine. I also tell cachers the correct answer if they email me saying 'Can I have the answer please?' or give them hints if that's what they want. I'm happy if people find my caches and have a good time in finding them. If someone is unable to solve my puzzle, who am I to spoil their caching fun by withholding the answer from them.

I do stand to be corrected on this matter, but at the moment I cannot see the real harm done, other than breaking GS guidelines about doing it.

I think you are being a little hard on yourself suggesting that turning to google (or other sources of reference) is actually admitting defeat as so many puzzles rely on the ability of solvers to access that sort of info. Based on the last few puzzles I have solved I certainly wouldn't be here on the forum if my brain could store the 'hardness' scale of various types of rock, the dates of birth of 6 celebrities and the chart positions of 6 spurious songs! However scouring the web for specific sites that published answers to puzzles would be admitting defeat and I would prefer to admit that to the owner and ask for help. As has been said before, caches are for finding and if the CO doesn't want them to be found then over to the ignore list.

WHOA!!!

LIKE WOW, MAN!

Such drama over a stupid little collection of pixels called 'a smilie'. :rolleyes:

This is the most intelligent post on this whole thread and I couldn't agree with you more! Drama, Drama, Drama! All over a game? All I can say to that is C'MON MAN!!

I own several puzzles. If anyone wants the final coords for any of mine, E-mail me lol!

P.S. At least 4 of mine are on the FB page. This I know because I recieved an E-mail from the sockpuppet GC account too.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I wanted to say we received the same email a few times warning us and we live in Alberta Canada. I couldn't find any of my caches listed so I figured Spam maybe. But I see others on here posting. Oh well I noticed most of the puzzles were way south in the states and if those people really want to leave there nice warm homes and head the the Great White North with -30 Celsius to find my caches they can just go ahead and do so. Then they can come look me up and we'll share a donut and a coffee from Timmies Eh.

Interesting. I do know a guy in passing who was banned from Geocaching.com for 30 days in 2008 or 2009 for posting puzzle cache solutions to Facebook. I was not aware "they" would still do this. That was not long before the late Sven came along, and eventually was allowed to keep his "Geocache Spoilers" YouTube channel up, and even resulted in a change in policy about posting spoilers to sites on the internet that are NOT Geocaching.com

Geocachespoilers did a great job imho. He would never give out coordinates, or tell you exactly which cache it was. I really enjoyed his videos, and it has given me inspiration for some caches in my area - that get great acclaim.

Puzzle spoilers work similar to me, the problem is of course that it's impossible to hide the solution (and usually which cache it belongs to). Best puzzle spoilers should be limited to already-archived caches. I've read quite some of them, partly to get general ideas on how to solve other puzzles, and also to get inspiration of puzzles to set up by myself. Some of my puzzles are directly inspired on puzzles elsewhere in the world.

I've given out plenty of hints for puzzle caches (my own, and ones that I solved myself) to other cachers. And asked for hints myself when getting stuck. But when I get a general question like "do you have a hint for puzzle GCxxxxx" I always first ask "what did you figure out already?". Often a little hint is enough for people to make it to the end, without directly spoiling it.

Geocachespoilers did a great job imho. He would never give out coordinates, or tell you exactly which cache it was. I really enjoyed his videos, and it has given me inspiration for some caches in my area - that get great acclaim.

Yeah, but some (probably even Groundspeak) argued that it was pretty easy to look at his finds the day the videos went up and figure out which caches they were. And it's possible he originally did identify the caches, Groundspeak undertook a controversial effort to ban him. His Arizona copy-cat started out horrific, would name the caches, and even get www.geocaching.com wrong, calling it geospeak.com or something. But within only a month or so, he stepped his game up and the videos were a thousand times better. But after only about 6 months or so, his channel was deleted. Under pressure from Groundspeak, or cache owners? I guess we'll never know.

I don't look much, is anyone else out there posting new "Sven-like" videos on YouTube?