Send to GPS problem

GeoBroke

Duuno how to fix that exact problem.... except...

Being a Premium Member, you should be using Pocket Queries. Even after the firmware upgrade, we only encountered one problem and that was that we tried to use the "old" Cache Register widget. The upgrade negates that old one.

With the upgrade, you should be able to run a PQ, unzip the zipped file and click-n-drag it to your unit or its' SD card.

Much easier that way, as loading directly from geocaching.com ("Send to GPS") is not involved. You simply drag the file(s) and drop it to your unit as a removable drive from your computer.

OR -- you could download the current Cache Register widget (free) from Delorme. With the Pocket Query downloaded, Cache Register automatically picks up on the PQ. Plug your '40 into the computer, activate Cache Register, turn on the '40. After sync process with the GPSr, the widget will guide you through the simple loading process.

I suspect that you need to upgrade the "send to gps plugin". I'm not sure what versions of the firmware are involved, but I seem to recall that newer firmware didn't work with the older plugin at some point, so perhaps you're running into an incompatibility like that. Anyway, best to start by updating to the newest plug-in because even if that's not the problem, at least it puts you at a good baseline. http://www.delorme.com/plugins/gpsplugin.aspx

But Gitchee-Gummee is correct: since you're a premium user, Poket Queries are the only way to go, particularly now that you've updated your firmware so PQs are much more convenient than they were with the old firmware from a couple years ago. I rarely send caches individually to my PN-40 or PN-60, only when I'm doing something special like downloading an archived cache that wouldn't be in the PQ.

I suspect that you need to upgrade the "send to gps plugin". I'm not sure what versions of the firmware are involved, but I seem to recall that newer firmware didn't work with the older plugin at some point, so perhaps you're running into an incompatibility like that. Anyway, best to start by updating to the newest plug-in because even if that's not the problem, at least it puts you at a good baseline. http://www.delorme.com/plugins/gpsplugin.aspx

But Gitchee-Gummee is correct: since you're a premium user, Poket Queries are the only way to go, particularly now that you've updated your firmware so PQs are much more convenient than they were with the old firmware from a couple years ago. I rarely send caches individually to my PN-40 or PN-60, only when I'm doing something special like downloading an archived cache that wouldn't be in the PQ.

I came here looking for an answer to my question of "send to GPS" function with Windows 8. Now it appears I will learn more in the PQ arena and should start using that to load caches into my PN-40. I will give it a try and thanks for the discussion.

-Trekman27

Uh -- Trekman27:

This thread is two years old. A lot has changed since then.

Delorme's Cache Register does not work whatsoever anymore, upgrade or no.

You can still load pocket query data to the unit, just not with computerized (Cache Register) assistance.

•  
  • Run and download PQ. If the download consists of a zipped file, you will need to unzip it -- there will be two files after unzipping -- xxxxxx.gpx and xxxxxx-wpts.gpx. The downloaded data will be contained in the Downloaded Items file >
  • Plug PN unit into computer and then turn the unit on and allow it to boot up. The computer will (should) tone that it is connected when booted. If you have installed an SD card to the unit, then PN will ask if you wish to use internal memory or the card, select one >
  • Locate the PN as a [Drive] unit through either Computer or My Computer from the Start menu >
  • Open another window in the computer and there, open the Downloaded Items folder >
  • Drag 'n drop or copy BOTH of those .gpx files to the PN unit [Drive] -- pause after doing so >
  • Right-click the mouse and select 'Eject' from the drop-down options, the computer will confirm it has done so >
  • Turn off the PN and unplug it from the computer >
  • Done.

This may sound complicated at first, but it really is easy. One or two loadings and it'll be second nature.

NOTE: DO NOT open or attempt to open the .gpx files. You cannot read them. You could conceivably contaminate them by doing so.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Uh -- Trekman27:

Delorme's Cache Register does not work whatsoever anymore, upgrade or no.

You can still load pocket query data to the unit, just not with computerized (Cache Register) assistance.

•  
  • Run and download PQ. If the download consists of a zipped file, you will need to unzip it -- there will be two files after unzipping -- xxxxxx.gpx and xxxxxx-wpts.gpx. The downloaded data will be contained in the Downloaded Items file >
  • Plug PN unit into computer and then turn the unit on and allow it to boot up. The computer will (should) tone that it is connected when booted. If you have installed an SD card to the unit, then PN will ask if you wish to use internal memory or the card, select one >
  • Locate the PN as a [Drive] unit through either Computer or My Computer from the Start menu >
  • Open another window in the computer and there, open the Downloaded Items folder >
  • Drag 'n drop or copy BOTH of those .gpx files to the PN unit [Drive] -- pause after doing so >
  • Right-click the mouse and select 'Eject' from the drop-down options, the computer will confirm it has done so >
  • Turn off the PN and unplug it from the computer >
  • Done.

This may sound complicated at first, but it really is easy. One or two loadings and it'll be second nature.

NOTE: DO NOT open or attempt to open the .gpx files. You cannot read them. You could conceivably contaminate them by doing so.

Thanks for the help, now it seems that my computer does not pickup the external drive. Plugged in the USB and then booted the PN-40 and no externals show up. Is there a way of exchanging in the Topo USA program?

Thanks for the help, now it seems that my computer does not pickup the external drive. Plugged in the USB and then booted the PN-40 and no externals show up. Is there a way of exchanging in the Topo USA program?

Yes, I believe there is!

Although I have never used that feature. As such I cannot respond to it further.

I would direct you to the Delorme forums for that question: http://forum.delorme.com/

Thanks for the help, now it seems that my computer does not pickup the external drive. Plugged in the USB and then booted the PN-40 and no externals show up.

In the PN-40's Device Setup menu, go to "Connect to Computer". By default, it's set to "use GPS". If you push Enter on "use GPS", a pull down menu will open, and you should change it to "Open SD Card" (or you could open the internal drive, but I always use my SD card). That tells the GPS to act like an external drive.

Once you've changed it, just leave it that way: when the PN-40 is connected, the SD card will show up as an external drive (and you can't do anything else with the unit), but when you disconnect it from the computer, the PN-40 functions normally.

Is there a way of exchanging in the Topo USA program?

As I recall, there was a way to download pocket queries using Topo USA, but I didn't use it and don't remember how it worked.

Just took the SD card out and will load using a card reader. Thanks again for the tips.

That works, but it's such a pain to open the back and take out the battery just to get to the SD card, I wouldn't want to do it very often.

Actually, not a thing has changed about the PN-40 in 2 years. Delorme's been pretty much idle in this area. The advice you give in the rest of your response is spot on, but it doesn't contradict anything else in this thread.