Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vinced

APRS TNC

Just got a new notebook system and now need an APRS TNC to round out my gear. Does anyone know where I can get one? Preferably one that will allow me to keep both the GPSr and the notebook connected to it as needed. icon_razz.gif

Vince

KD5NVO

0H/6F

9 out of 10 donut pilots prefer the kpc3 plus to any other tnc!

all kidding aside..

the kpc3 plus is the way to go if you want to run aprs watching and sending. if you just want to transmit your position (as in a standalone tracker) the way to go is build a "tiny trak".

kantronics wants your first born in exchange for the kpc3 plus so keep i that in mind.

URBO

ke4mcl

There was a cheap and dirty APRS TNC in QST in 2000, I think it was. I ordered one of them and the thing works fantastic. Ya can't beat the $65 price tag.

As with all the TNCs I have seen, you can only have your GPS hooked up or the computer - not both - though you can have the GPS hooked up and monitor the line with the computer (if that makes sense) by making a dongle.

I built mine in about an hour. It will not key my FT8100 though, but it works great with my Icom 02AT

Check it out here.

If you get a KPC3+ (its $130) you can get a cable so you can have both the Computer and the GPS unit connected to the TNC at the same time.

I like my KPC3+ and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Noel W8TVI

This is another aspect of my new hobby I'd like to explore.

I have a Kenwood TH-F6A, which has a setting to use the speaker/mike connectors for a TNC, but I don't know where to start...I'd like to find a way to CHEAPLY and easily connect my eMap to my HT with some entertaining end....any ideas?

ApK

(K2APK)