New Year Waymarking resolutions?

Ianatlarge

Just wondering, has anyone made any Waymarking resolutions for the new year? I mean, for example, to reach 100 entries in your favourite category, or make the first entry in a dozen new categories?

Each year I try and better my average from the previous year. I realise that in the long term this is a self-defeating goal, but then again, most goals are.

No real resolutions, but I do plan to add five new countries to my Waymarking (and geocaching) footprint. Since all travel and lodging are booked for those two trips, I think that goal might be achievable.

My only other goal is to continue working my huge backlog of waymarks to best, to continue to improve the quality of my published waymarks, to lend a helping hand wherever I can, relax and enjoy my hobby. Add to that a the hope to meet some waymarkers personally.

Moving back to the U.S. will be a major transition with a lot of adjustments, so I'm not sure how that will impact everything, but I'll try to keep my head above water. I have a few other projects in the hopper, so we'll see.

This week I'm working on filling in my category grid!

2. Submit a centenarian each day of 2013

Trying to keep me busy huh? :rolleyes:

My goals for this year...

Do better than last year which was my worst year as far as numbers of waymarks. Hate when my work gets in the way of my fun :tired:

Add more states to my list of states I have 100 or more waymarks in. At 33 states now would like to get that to 40 this year. (come on work send me to the right states :) )

Edit to add one more: Keep my streak going.

Edited by BruceS

Two goals for the year:

1. Post some waymarks in South Korea

2. Submit a centenarian each day of 2013

I'm still trying to figure out what is in the water down in Oklahoma with all of the Centenarians! :unsure::lol:

My goals are to continue to learn about these architectural terms I keep encountering on my Historical District waymarks and to continue to find more interesting cemetery waymarks - especially the resting places of Civil War generals. That and to keep filling up BruceS's mail box with visits of his great waymarks like I did last year! :P

I have goals. Here are a few:

1. Reach 2500 waymarks.

3. Reach 500 waymarks within the city limits of Boston (easy-peasy - only about 35 to go)

4. Log 500 waymarks in one calendar year for the second time.

5. Reach 1000 waymark visits (challenge - about 280 to go).

6. Reach 600 different waymark categories (easy-peasy - about 12 to go) and try to fill in a 6x6 area on the grid

7. There are several goals on number of waymarks in cagetories. In general, reach 200 in Mass. Historical Markers (easy), For those I have 50+ waymarks get as many to 100, for 25+ get as many to 50, and 10+ to 25, and get as many categories to 10 as possible.

1. Reach 2500 waymarks.

3. Reach 500 waymarks within the city limits of Boston (easy-peasy - only about 35 to go)

Well, since some of the NRHP Districts have several thousand qualifying buildings, there's plenty to go around!

Beacon Hill, Back Bay and South Boston come to mind, but Boston has a dozen or more historic districts.

Oh, one other goal I have is to fill in a few blanks left on my calendar for days posted. It will be hard since three of them are when I'll be on the road, but I'll find a way.

Edited by silverquill

mine, hmmmmmm

stop in more villages I drive past every day as I have started doing, and try to look up more and get my Dated building up higher, there are so many here in South/North Wales, i've never noticed.

Also start using the Trig pointing sortware I've made to actually make a .csv file to load onto my gps app on my phone, so many uk trigs I must not realise i'm close to everyday.

So, nothing exact, just general.

Decided early this year to fill up my calendar but the severe weather conspired against me in January & made a mistake in February but only have four days to go (incl. today) so that's OK.

Last week was looking at my calendar and in particular those days where the numbers are highlighted. Added those up, divided to get the average & thought I might try to achieve the average for each day. Worked out would have to post 4000+ for 2014. The alternative would be to have the same totals for each line.

I recently discovered a website that maps all survey marks in NSW & there are tens of thousands so the 4000+ is achievable but might become repetitive.

The advantage of the survey marks is that you don't have to type much so less time sitting on butt & more time walking round.

For those that listed goals, how have you done?

2013 was a good Waymarking year for me. I'm still clearing pictures, but I'm going to end up with over 650 posted waymarks which is a record for me, 512 visited waymarks which is also a record year, and I got to add South Carolina and Georgia to my Waymarking state collection. ...and Oh, I got to visit several of BruceS's waymarks which always makes me happy! I'm still learning all of these architectural terms, but this will be a lifetime thing. 2014, my goal is to continue to visit the items in the Missouri Monster and History Scavenger Hunts - I'd REALLY like to finish those off! Here's wishing a great Holiday Season to my Waymarking friends and a Joyous and Prosperous New Year! ~from ic (and icy) onions! (it can warm up in Kansas City ANYTIME!) :laughing:

Do better than last year which was my worst year as far as numbers of waymarks. Hate when my work gets in the way of my fun :tired:

Add more states to my list of states I have 100 or more waymarks in. At 33 states now would like to get that to 40 this year. (come on work send me to the right states :) )

Edit to add one more: Keep my streak going.

It looks like I will achieve all my Waymarking goals for 2013.

Looks like I will average 6.6 Waymarks submitted per day which is better than my 4.55 last year

I will be at 41 state plus the District of Columbia where I have at least 100 waymarks (Delaware will go over by end of year... sorry New Jersey you will have to until next year to get yours submitted)

My streak is still going and should be at 1032 days at years end.

By my rough count, I have 701 visits and 488 posted waymarks this year. I have taken the past 3-4 months off, for the most part. I hope to get back into the swing of marking soon. I have got too deeply rooted in Munzeeing lately. I didn't set out for any certain resolutions, per se, but think I have had a fairly successful year.

For those that listed goals, how have you done?

We got to 1898 waymarks posted by 31 Dec 2013 -- so we exceeded our 2013 goal of 1000, and ALMOST made Lumbricius's goal FOR US (big laughing ha ha) of 2000 :)

That's not bad, given the life changes that knocked us out of posting and visiting for a while.

I am now going back and creating waymarks from our vacation travels. I just got finished with creating and visiting the waymarks from our Memorial Day weekend outing -- Memorial Day is the last weekend in May for the non-US folks :)

We did reach 116 waymarks posted in the Texas Historic markers category - so we exceeded our goal of 100 there.

Our goal for 2014 is to finish posting the Canadian vacation waymarks, finish posting the University of Texas waymarks from Apr 2013, and do all the Christmas vacation waymarks that we just shot from 20-31 Dec 2013.

Maybe 3000 waymarks posted this year is another good target for us :) If we cannot resist our natural inclination to carpet-bomb, then maybe a better goal is 4000!! ha ha ha

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

2014 resolutions? :lostsignal:

My problem is that quantitative targets would be in contradiction with my other resolutions, mainly to spend less time in front of the screen and more out there. Anyway, in 2014 it would be nice to:

(do not laugh, I'm slow-marker)

• beat my annual record (88 posted)
  • post WM #1000 in Slovakia (815 or so currently)
  • fill the posted GRID with 200 icons (136 so far)
  • post all mountain summits I'll climb
  • post waymarks in 3 additional countries
  • focus on posting rare objects, unique ones and oddities (that can really attract people one day)
  • post some to my favorite categories
  • and finish my first scavenger hunt finally :rolleyes:

1. Reach 2500 waymarks.

4. Log 500 waymarks in one calendar year for the second time.

5. Reach 1000 waymark visits (challenge - about 280 to go).

6. Reach 600 different waymark categories (easy-peasy - about 12 to go) and try to fill in a 6x6 area on the grid

7. There are several goals on number of waymarks in cagetories. In general, reach 200 in Mass. Historical Markers (easy), For those I have 50+ waymarks get as many to 100, for 25+ get as many to 50, and 10+ to 25, and get as many categories to 10 as possible.

Let's see how I did:

1. 2500 waymarks - Mission Accomplished on 10/2013.

2. 500 waymarks in Boston - accomplished.

3. 500 waymarks in one year - fell short. So far (pending two more approvals - still waiting...) I have 440 in 2013. This is good enough still to be the second highest number of waymarks in a year. However, due to classes and work the second half of the year was a challenge.

4. Reach 1000 waymark visits - way off! - 791 so far.

6. Waymarks in 600 different categories - done - about 629 now.

7. Various other goals - mixed results. I barely reached 200 waymarks for Massachusetts Historical Markers, I moved some up to the next level.

All in all, a pretty satisfactory year.

Next year:

1. 2400 waymarks posted (keep the rate more than 1/day).

2. 1000 waymarks visited. This time I'll make it! Goal - 1100.

3. Waymarks in 666 categories.

4. Get 100 waymarks in one more category (probably US Benchmarks).

Here we go!

Edited by NorStar

Unfortunately, I can't be consistent enough in submitting Waymarks to make any kind of personal resolution for this year.

But at the risk of sounding hypocritical, I do have a resolution -- No, I'll change that so that it isn't hypocritical: I have a hope that between us all we can get up past the 1 million Waymark point. In spite of Groundspeak's neglectful ruination of the Waymarking site, perhaps we can do it anyway!

The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I'm a bit late in posting it here, but I decided on a resolution just before the new year. At that time, I had about 375 categories filled in on my category grid. My goal is to get that to 500 by the end of 2014. There will be a few that I can fill in by visiting some local Waymarks, but most of the remaining ones will need to be filled in by posting new Waymarks. I have a database of over 200 potential sites, so it's just a matter of getting out to them, getting the required information, and then posting them.

...that is, if the category managers actually manage their categories. Boy Scout Camps looks like it's been abandoned.

Well, 2013 wasn't as great in terms of numbers as I would have liked. The travel did allow me to add new countries and categories, I gathered way more waymarks than I've had time to post while traveling. My retirement was short-lived, and was filled with other projects, and now I'm back pretty much full-time in a new job adventure that has been pretty demanding so far. Still waiting for "normal," but maybe this is it. :unsure:

So, I'll have to think about new goals for 2014. I'd love to add some new states, but have no definite plans to do so. Anyway to waymark grandchildren?

So, I'll have to think about new goals for 2014. I'd love to add some new states, but have no definite plans to do so. Anyway to waymark grandchildren?

Hmmm...being facetious, but...

Did you have an asteroid, crater, or star named after them [Extraterrestrial Places]

Maybe there is a statue of them somewhere? [Living Statues]

If When they become famous, you can waymark where they grew up [Childhood Home]

When one becomes President, you can waymark the birthplace [Presidential Birthplaces]

The possibilities are wide open !!!

(You may have to wait a while though...)

Sorry, but I guess my Waymarking resolution for 2014 is to submit less waymarks :o . It's just that I spent far too much time last year Waymarking "unique and interesting places" that no one else seems to care about. I posted about 90 waymarks last year and only 6 have been visited. And none of my "prized waymarks" (those at the most unique and most interesting of unique and interesting locations, the ones in which is spent the most time in preparing) have even been visited. It's like painting great portraits and hanging them in the cellar. Would anyone continue to hide geocaches if only ~5% are found?

The sad part is that many of these waymarks are located so close to active geocaches, and are so visible, so unique, but they just get passed by.

So I'll stick to visiting and only posting the odd waymark which is just too unique to pass up.

Sorry, but I guess my Waymarking resolution for 2014 is to submit less waymarks :o . It's just that I spent far too much time last year Waymarking "unique and interesting places" that no one else seems to care about. I posted about 90 waymarks last year and only 6 have been visited. And none of my "prized waymarks" (those at the most unique and most interesting of unique and interesting locations, the ones in which is spent the most time in preparing) have even been visited. It's like painting great portraits and hanging them in the cellar. Would anyone continue to hide geocaches if only ~5% are found?

The sad part is that many of these waymarks are located so close to active geocaches, and are so visible, so unique, but they just get passed by.

So I'll stick to visiting and only posting the odd waymark which is just too unique to pass up.

Part of the Waymarking adventure that I take away is the education I am getting in the research of these waymarks. 95% of geocachers are never going to be waymarkers - they will not take the time to open their eyes to the greater environment as they are only focused on the geocache container - once found, they are off to the next one. Why would a geocache power trail be so popular as all it is a a geocache every .10th of a mile to increase numbers? It takes too much effort and time to get a picture to mark a visit to a waymark when one is questing for numbers!

I have several waymarks that have multiple visits - I have many more than have never been visited. I have also gotten an email forwarded on to me from Groundspeak from someone who was very thankful that I had posted the Woodman marker of their twice great grandfather. They did a Google search of their relative's name and up came my waymark! So yes, I understand that it can be a bummer that these waymarks do not get visited, however, Waymarking and geocaching are different games. I would hope that you would continue to post - who knows, this Jayhawk might be able to cross the border to visit your waymarks! :)

We have 800+ HM's in Michigan visited to date, 1/10/14. Aiming for 1,200 and all 70 remaining HM's in Detroit, MI through 2014

Maybe more HM's from Ohio and possibly another state too!

Hit 911 markers visited in Michigan this weekend, which is more than half of the overall markers in the state. I wish there were less plaques that just say the name of the house and more regular sized markers and less churches. It seems 1 church per city has a marker, skimming through Ohio's markers - it appears to be a lot less churches. But Churches are the easiest ones to park at so I shouldn't be complaining. Still on good pace to clear 1,200 this year. Still have those 70 in Detroit, 20ish in Flint and Lansing. Marshall, Albion, and Battle Creek have a combined 60-70 which will be a fun day, the UP now is the challenging one and getting out to the SW part of the state.

So, how did everyone do with their resolutions/goals?

My goal was to get to 500 icons on the combined category grid. I started the year at 374, and ended the year with 572, so I easily met my goal. A summer trip where I had time to visit lots of Waymarks helped boost that number quite a bit, but I also posted in about 70 new (to me) categories.

I think I'll set my goal for 2015 at getting to 700 icons. I'll likely be going down to Washington and Oregon this summer, so I'll get some uniquely-US icons then, but this year I'll have to put more effort into posting Waymarks. I still have a large database of potential items to Waymark in new categories, so I'll just have to put in more of an effort to get out and get the photos and information for them.