Edit Waymark stuck in my review queue

silverquill

I've been swamped lately with reviews for edited waymarks. Most of these are from Germany where the regions have just been added. That's okay. But, I've got one that is stuck. When I click on it I get an error message. It has been several days with the same result. Here are the particulars:

Listing:

Classic BBQ and Sandwich Joints [edited waymark] Tan Malie se Winkel TeamTGF 8/19/2007 4:27:42 AM

Error Message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

WM.UI.AnswerCompareControl.displayAnswers() +1053

WM.UI.AnswerCompareControl.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +7

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +146

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

I have received this error also. To get it off your review queue go to the waymark click edit and make some change and save. Once you save it you should be able to click the link in the review queue.

This works, I had about 4 problems like this. But this could only fixed by the leader or officers who could edit Waymarks. Officers without the editing right could do nothing. (They can please the leader to do it, or they could ask if the leader gives them the rights).

It is even more annoying to edit these waymarks! :rolleyes: It will be over soon!

South Africa has a lot of wrong states in its list (Luxembourg, Antwerpen, Limburg).

I have just corrected this. At the older German Waymarks, the states were missing.

So you can now see accurate lists how many waymarks are available per state. Sorry about the spam!

PS: The changes in France are not mine!!!

Edited by Tharandter

You've done a great job! I appreciate that. The situation has become much better than it used to be.

I did a short survey over the country counts page; this does not find wrong entries, only missing ones, and is not completely reliable, but it looks like this:

Over 99%: US, Canada, Switzerland, Australia

Over 95%: Germany, South Africa, Czech Republic

90-95%: Portugal, New Zealand, Slovakia

80-90%: Japan, Poland, Italy

70-80%: Belgium, Norway, UK

60-70%: France, Spain, Sweden

50-60%: Mexico, South Korea

Countries where less than half of the waymarks have a region: Ireland, Hungary, Netherlands, Brazil.

The absolute numbers show a little different picture: UK has over 10,000 WMs without region, Netherlands and Brazil over 3,000, France over 1,500, and Spain about 700. The rest is below 500.

So there is still a lot to do.

Edited by fi67

50-60%: Mexico, South Korea

Countries where less than half of the waymarks have a region: Ireland, Hungary, Netherlands, Brazil.

The absolute numbers show a little different picture: UK has over 10,000 WMs without region, Netherlands and Brazil over 3,000, France over 1,500, and Spain about 700. The rest is below 500.

So there is still a lot to do.

The problem is that when Waymarking.com began, I think only the U.S. had regions in a drop down menu, so there was no way to enter regions for other countries. It was only after I place a lot of waymarks for So. Korea, for instance, that I contacted Groundspeak suggesting regions for Korea. I provided the list, as well as one for the prefectures of Japan, that this was done. I just haven't taken the time to go back over my older waymarks and add regions. I think this is the situation for other countries with waymarks without regions. Some still don't have regions. I know it takes time to implement this for all of the countries, but it would have saved us a LOT of hassle if this had been done from the beginning.

By the way, adding the regions affected the Geocaching side, too, so the result was that both of these countries got regions added to their new geocaches.

A couple of interesting notes about the process of updating these.

--At some time Groundspeak changed the format of the date field from 00/00/0000 to 0/0/000 so whenever a waymark with a date field in the variable is edited, the date has to be changed.

--Even if only one thing is changed in a waymark, other fields often show up in the review for the edit, and they all have to be checked off, even if there is no change.

--If people edit their own waymarks, then a reviewer doesn't have to process them.

Just a little perspective...

--At some time Groundspeak changed the format of the date field from 00/00/0000 to 0/0/000 so whenever a waymark with a date field in the variable is edited, the date has to be changed.

Yes, I know this issue! Furthermore, it's not possible to add a date before 1/1/1000 (for example something happened in the year 920).