Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkohel

GMRS License question

The GMRS License allows family members to use once license, but who are exactly included.

Could my brother-in-law, father-inlaw, and I use one license?

FCC Website

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee, you and your and family members would communicate among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking.

The FCC grants five-year renewable licenses for GMRS Systems. The individual licensee is responsible for the proper operations of the licensed GMRS system at all times.

Hope that helps.

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

Thanks 47 CFR 95.179 states:

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart A--General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

Sec. 95.179 Individuals who may be station operators.

(a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit immediate family

members to be station operators in his or her GMRS system. Immediate

family members are the:

(1) Licensee;

(2) Licensee's spouse;

(3) Licensee's children, grandchildren, stepchildren;

(4) Licensee's parents, grandparents, stepparents;

(5) Licensee's brothers, sisters;

(6) Licensee's aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews; and

(7) Licensee's in-laws.

Hm. So, as a gay man who lives 400 miles from my nearest blood relative, I basically can't use GMRS. Huh.

Yet another way my government has found to discriminate against me...

Thomas, I don't know exactly what you mean by this. I'd like to try and interpret your meaning.

If you chose to live closer to your family you might hear them - the range of the GMRS radios usually are restricted a bit below the 400 mi. radius.

If you choose to get a GMRS license, you can use the GMRS service. It's 75 for 5 years. In general, the participants of this forum would recommend getting a Ham license. It's cheaper and at higher license levels would give you the opportunity to talk around the world to other hams.

If you have a relative that is licensed already, and you are a 'nuclear' family member, you can use the GMRS service to communicate with other licensed GMRS users.

You will need to know the GMRS callsign that your relative has. It's required to give that callsign at the end of your transmissions.

Hope that helps.

Cadence

(Todd-K7PKT and CheleBell)

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Farrell:

Hm. So, as a gay man who lives 400 miles from my nearest blood relative, I basically can't use GMRS. Huh.

Not true! You can use it all you like. But it isn't likely any of your relatives will hear you till you move closer to them. It is not descriminating againse you specifically. My folks are 1600 miles away, and I don't feel it is descrimination against me. Guess some people just see a conspiracy in every little law...

Maybe you can get the FCC to allow you a variance in the law. Yeah, hire a lawyer and go for it. You might win!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Farrell:

as a gay man

I find that hard to believe, because you don't sound happy. icon_biggrin.gif

mkohel, how old is your part 95?

In my copy of Part 95, the number of immediate family members allowed to use a GMRS license also appears to be conditional upon their living at the same location as the licensee.

"95.179

(a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit his/her immediate family members living in the same household to be station operators in his/her GMRS system."

Do I have an old copy? The latest revision I can find at the FCC site is from 1998.

-------------------

John - ardfarkle@d30.info