See the cache in Google Street View

Lil Devil

I just published a new Greasemonkey script that adds a Google Street View image of the cache location (if one is available) to the cache page.

SV-cache.png

The tooltip on the icon shows the name of the cache (or waypoint) and the distance from the viewer (the Street View car). This can be configured to show in meters or feet. Click on the gear icon above the map to set this and other options.

If there are additional waypoints, or corrected coordinates, they are all shown on the map, and are scaled appropriately with distance in the Street View.

The map and the Street View image are linked together. Moving one is reflected on the other.

You can also click on the "Full" button at the top to view the same map(s) in the full browser window.

This script works in both Firefox with Greasemonkey and Google Chrome with Tampermonkey.

Install the script

What an awesome tool! Thank you very much for your work on these. I never knew these scripts existed, and so have installed Greasemonkey and a few of the scripts. This script works perfectly! Looking forward to updates on some of the others. Not everything in "Bag-o-Tricks" and "Friends List Enhancements" works for me.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm glad y'all find this useful.

Not everything in "Bag-o-Tricks" and "Friends List Enhancements" works for me.

Those two, as well as VIP List are due for an update. Sometimes things break when the website is updated. They should all be updated in the coming weeks.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm glad y'all find this useful.

Not everything in "Bag-o-Tricks" and "Friends List Enhancements" works for me.

Those two, as well as VIP List are due for an update. Sometimes things break when the website is updated. They should all be updated in the coming weeks.

I notice that I can close the street view pane and get a bigger map, but it's hard to get it back, (you have to drag pegman to the exact perfect spot). Is there anyway to make this a toggle, and if so, perhaps give an option to have it default to on or off?

The biggest thing that I miss from the old scripts is, of course, the VIP list. That was probably the coolest thing I ever saw. I could see in an instant who of the major players in our group had found a particular cache I was looking at.

What I have been missing recently is the Email link next to the cache owner's name on the cache pages. I think that was in Bag-o-Tricks, and was very handy when I needed to contact someone about a particular cache.

Thanks, your work is appreciated...

I notice that I can close the street view pane and get a bigger map, but it's hard to get it back, (you have to drag pegman to the exact perfect spot). Is there anyway to make this a toggle, and if so, perhaps give an option to have it default to on or off?

On the road or aerial photo map, just click on the cache icon.

The biggest thing that I miss from the old scripts is, of course, the VIP list. That was probably the coolest thing I ever saw. I could see in an instant who of the major players in our group had found a particular cache I was looking at.

What I have been missing recently is the Email link next to the cache owner's name on the cache pages. I think that was in Bag-o-Tricks, and was very handy when I needed to contact someone about a particular cache.

I should have an update to Bag-o-Tricks out shortly. VIP List will follow in a few weeks. It's a much bigger project to get it all working again.

Duh! That was easy.

Duh! That was easy.

still can not figure this out. does this work in google crome?

Looks like there may be bugs with FF 19.0 because not even the GC website is working properly for me anymore. I click on the search icon beside my home coords and the page refreshes to the very same page. Not a list of caches in my area. Also when I click on the Install script button all it does is take me to a page where I can view the script. My FF 19.0 is messed up. I am running XP Home service pack 3. Oh well, back to my old stand by of IE 8.

Looks like there may be bugs with FF 19.0 because not even the GC website is working properly for me anymore. I click on the search icon beside my home coords and the page refreshes to the very same page. Not a list of caches in my area. Also when I click on the Install script button all it does is take me to a page where I can view the script. My FF 19.0 is messed up. I am running XP Home service pack 3. Oh well, back to my old stand by of IE 8.

I've been using FF 19 for the last three days and I haven't seen any of these issues.

Edit to add: XPSP3

Edited by Don_J

I just published a new Greasemonkey script that adds a Google Street View image of the cache location (if one is available) to the cache page.

SV-cache.png

The tooltip on the icon shows the name of the cache (or waypoint) and the distance from the viewer (the Street View car). This can be configured to show in meters or feet. Click on the gear icon above the map to set this and other options.

If there are additional waypoints, or corrected coordinates, they are all shown on the map, and are scaled appropriately with distance in the Street View.

The map and the Street View image are linked together. Moving one is reflected on the other.

You can also click on the "Full" button at the top to view the same map(s) in the full browser window.

This script works in both Firefox with Greasemonkey and Google Chrome with Tampermonkey.

Install the script

thats awesome! thanks

Not the cache, but I think Street View caught some cachers.

I was bookmarking http://coord.info/GC19GDF to get during my trip and went to street view to make sure I'd recognize the area. I'm pretty sure that if you look at the spot in front of the barn, then turn right so the barn is on your left, and then "walk" backwards away from it, you'll see a couple of people in a car just sitting in front of the spot. The car is in the same spot for an awfully long time. I'd bet that the google car caught a couple of geocachers trying to solve the first stage of the cache. Pretty cool.

with this ? people dont need a GPS anymore :-)

ok at least not for some of them located close to a road

True. I didn't even need street view for one LPC in a parking lot. The posts were far enough apart on the asphalt desert that the satellite image told me where the cache was.

Now deep in the forest is another story. Sat view is worthless, and street view doesn't exist.