Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ulkHen

CW/morse training

Hi!

I'm about to take my CEPT2 license in some weeks, and I'm already thinking of taking CEPT1 license witch mean that I need to learn CW/morse. Does any one of you know a program that simulates a morse key that I can train with? A program where I can sit and press the mouse key instead of the morse key?

73 de David

Sweden

THE REPETITIVE BEEPS GIVE ME A MIGRAINE icon_eek.gif

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

THE REPETITIVE BEEPS GIVE ME A MIGRAINE icon_eek.gif

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

Code Quick helped me out. It's at www.cq2k.com

But, do a search on CW training, and I'm sure you'll find some. Some programs I've found (but can't remember where I found them).

CW Type www.dxsoft.com (a CW keyer program)

MorseCat (CW Trainer)

Ham University (CW and license training)

Hope it helps,

KD7JJY

if you wait it out the morse requirement may soon go away. the ITU made a statement that they no longer think morse should be required for ham tickets. check CQ for this january. ITS ABOUT TIME!!! i own a complete collins station and its never been on the air because i'm a no code tech. i refuse to have code rammed down my throat when they dont test for proficiency in other modes such as digital, phone, or atv. cw is just a mode therefore test for all or test for none.

i got about a third of the alphabet learned in a few nights by quizing back and forth with another ham before my frustration set in. if its something you really want to do i have found that the best way to learn something is to help someone else with their studies. i passed my no-code this way. helped someone study for about 4 hours.

please use your morse key to extinguish your flames ;-)

ke4mcl

robert

quote:
Originally posted by urbo:

i got about a third of the alphabet learned in a few nights by quizing back and forth with another ham before my frustration set in. if its something you really want to do i have found that the best way to learn something is to help someone else with their studies. i passed my no-code this way. helped someone study for about 4 hours.

I think if you followed your own advice, that Collins rig would have been on the air long ago.

Yes, I believe there are much better ways to communicate now then 80yrs ago.

Yes, I passed my code back when you HAD to to get on the air on any freq.

No, I have not used CW since then.

That said, CW is still a viable means to communicate. In poor conditions, it is often the ONLY means. It requires the least equiptment, and can still be utilized in an emergency, even when mikes or speakers have failed.

Like you stated, if you want something bad enough you will get it. We often appreciate less what requires little to obtain. If you want to see what eliminating code would do for the ham bands, just listen awile to your local repeater. Now, imagine that instead of being limited to 50 miles or so, those overgrown CBers you can find on just about every repeater had a range of 5000 miles. What a mess! No thank you. Been a CBer for over 25 year, and a ham for about 15. If I want CB, I'll turn on my CB, no need to turn the rest of the ham bands into CB as well.

Elitist? dadgum straight!

N2GZG

Illegitimus non carborundum!

i've heard that argument many, many times. heard 20m lately?? lots of generals and higher talking like they do on 27mhz!

i made a decision to outlive the code requirement and it looks like i'm winning considering i'm having a great time in the vhf world and i have only wanted to taste hf quite recently. i think the requirement will be put on the shelf were it belongs next to the spark transmitter in the very near future.

lots of folks argue the same point you make, the ham bands will go to hell in a handbasket when we drop the code, well guess what?? at least here in miami fl, everytime the hams are needed to do something the great majority that show up are no-code techs.

nuff said

robert

ke4mcl

in the last several years since frs and no code arrived all i hear on cb is truckers snowbirds and occasional dx i only hear trash once a year or so,

on frs i now hear a lot of cussing etc,

on ham radio i rarely hear anyone talking at all icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

in the last several years since frs and no code arrived all i hear on cb is truckers snowbirds and occasional dx i only hear trash once a year or so,

on frs i now hear a lot of cussing etc,

on ham radio i rarely hear anyone talking at all icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

well... for me,

CB- all I have ever heard I would not want my mom to hear.

FRS- kids,kids,kids. no bad words but no rules.

people can bug you all they want.

HAM- pretty much perfect.

That's "mister" radio to you.

quote:
Originally posted by urbo:

i've heard that argument many, many times. heard 20m lately?? lots of generals and higher talking like they do on 27mhz!

I have to say that the HF bands dissapointed me greatly!

I used to get more fun using CW on VHF and UHF via Aurora, Sporadic-E and Tropo propagation modes than anything on HF.

I'm a CW enthusiast, but not in favour of using it as a barrier to entry. I think, once the novelty wears off, people will either love or hate HF and the same with CW.

--... ...--

Morseman