HELP PLEASE! Marriage Proposal Ideas

Hi all,

So I have been trying to think up some marriage proposal ideas, and I think involving Geocaching somehow could be a really neat idea. My girlfriend and I operate an account together (not this one obviously), and we have only been caching for about a year now, but we love it.

I was hoping that some of you in the geocaching community would be willing to help me brainstorm some ideas about how I could carry it out. I am generally somebody who is good at coming up with big ideas, but I struggle with little details.

Current thoughts:

- We fell in love at a campground, so I was thinking about potentially hiding a cache (or a multi-cache) there somewhere? With the ring hidden in the final cache? The problem, of course, is that I don’t want to just leave a diamond ring sitting in the middle of the woods for any cacher to find, though it may be interesting to create a cache there afterwards in honor of our engagement. If I do that, to keep the location secret before she finds it, should I just use a temporary waypoint? Do you think that would take away from the impact? Are there any better options?

- I also kind of like the idea of a multi-cache with different riddles, but I am not sure if I would want that to give away the proposal before she finds the ring. Though, the campground is over an hour away from home, and it isn’t a traditional campground, so she may be suspecting anyway.

I don’t really know. The whole thing is a work in progress, but any thoughts, ideas, or guidance would be sincerely appreciated! I know how creative geocachers can be!

Thanks in advance ☺

- B

Over here it's common to publish a series of caches, each of which contains part of the co-ords to a bonus, which can only be found once all the series has been found, so how about:

Place and publish a small series of caches under another account, each of which has a number on the container/log book. That way you could look at them together, she wouldn't know they were set by you and you could suggest going to find them.

Create a bonus cache giving the location by using the numbers from the series above, but DONT publish it, that way only you will know about it, but contrive a way to get it onto your GSAK/phone/paper printouts and persuade her it was published just before you set off.

Once you've found the first set of caches, go for the bonus - which is where the ring will be hidden.

Then when it's all over you can publish the bonus cache complete with your back story, and adopt all the caches over to your regular account if you want.

Hi all,

So I have been trying to think up some marriage proposal ideas, and I think involving Geocaching somehow could be a really neat idea. My girlfriend and I operate an account together (not this one obviously), and we have only been caching for about a year now, but we love it.

I was hoping that some of you in the geocaching community would be willing to help me brainstorm some ideas about how I could carry it out. I am generally somebody who is good at coming up with big ideas, but I struggle with little details.

Current thoughts:

- We fell in love at a campground, so I was thinking about potentially hiding a cache (or a multi-cache) there somewhere? With the ring hidden in the final cache? The problem, of course, is that I don’t want to just leave a diamond ring sitting in the middle of the woods for any cacher to find, though it may be interesting to create a cache there afterwards in honor of our engagement. If I do that, to keep the location secret before she finds it, should I just use a temporary waypoint? Do you think that would take away from the impact? Are there any better options?

- I also kind of like the idea of a multi-cache with different riddles, but I am not sure if I would want that to give away the proposal before she finds the ring. Though, the campground is over an hour away from home, and it isn’t a traditional campground, so she may be suspecting anyway.

I don’t really know. The whole thing is a work in progress, but any thoughts, ideas, or guidance would be sincerely appreciated! I know how creative geocachers can be!

Thanks in advance ☺

- B

Here's a few from my area:

Team Yo Mama's Proposal

Bloodyprints Engagement Cache - has a video!

if you expect your girlfriend to go out and get the cache soon, especially that day, and you know the time it will publish in these special circumstances, but are just worried about someone snaring the prize first, you could assign a friend to be at the final cache and make sure no one takes it from there.

Edited by lamoracke

For the safety of the ring, I suggest enlisting the help of a friend/fellow cacher to place the ring in the cache just before you get there and then hide somewhere nearby to keep an eye on it. Considering how many cachers started out by accidentally finding a container, I would't want a muggle to get to the ring before your girlfriend does!

For the safety of the ring, I suggest enlisting the help of a friend/fellow cacher to place the ring in the cache just before you get there and then hide somewhere nearby to keep an eye on it. Considering how many cachers started out by accidentally finding a container, I would't want a muggle to get to the ring before your girlfriend does!

This.

I had a cache published last night, way the heck out in the middle of the Sacramento River Delta and two cachers dashed out there and made the FTF at about 10:30 PM.

There's a series around here that was originally part of a birthday present. The CO and the FTF drove around for a few hours finding the caches, then solved the puzzle to find the bonus cache, and eventually it led to presents hidden at a secure location. None of the caches were published at that time. A year or so later, the caches in the series and the bonus cache were published on geocaching.com (although the secure location where the presents were hidden was not published).

I popped the question with a little multi in the neighborhood. She works training realtors, and she'd given me one of those door-hanging lock boxes one time as a potential geocache part. That never really panned out, but I still had the lock box. When she came home from work, it was hanging on the inside garage door with a note taped above that said "go to N xx xx.xxx W xxx xx.xxx". In each of the stages was a colored piece of "foam" paper with the coordinates for the next stage. In the last stage was the key that converted the colors to the lockbox combination. Inside was the proposal.

I know of a geo couple who were engaged in this way. He went to her house just as he knew she would be waking up, saying he worked all morning on a tough puzzle, and let's go get the FTF. She quickly got ready and they jumped in the car to the cache, which she found, and which included the ring.

The cache became published online AFTER the engagement.

Echoing the words of those before me may I strongly suggest you do not put the ring in the cache even if it is unpublished. Perhaps maybe a fake ring instead and keep the real one in your pocket? She finds the cache and opens it to see a note from you then turns around and you are down on one knee?

Besides...you'd never leave a fat stack of hundred dollar bills laying around for anyone to come along and grab...would you? If so then where? PM me the details. I don't want to have to race against all these other cachers. Thanks and good luck!

This would take a lot of secret planning, and you couldn't post it as an event without ruining the secret.

Flash Mob her. Everyone gets on their knee and bursts into song, asking her to marry you. I saw a proposal on Mobbed. A woman asked her long time boyfriend, but hers was an ultimatum. He had to marry her right then and there, or she walked away. They got married.

I'd do the above but keep the ring with me, just write the proposal as a simple puzzle and make sure she finds the cache. As she solves the puzzle whip out the ring and drop to one knee. Or simply write the proposal using a bit of poetic language, make sure she finds the cache and have the ring ready.

The other idea I had was to find a location in or around the campsite and set up a cache, but find a location where you can hide a lot of people nearby, then invite all your caching friends and family to the engagement party. Hide the party at the cache location and once she finds the cache and you do the proposal, the party pops out from it's hiding places and you all celebrate together.

Good luck though and let us know how you it went.

This is all great. Having an engagement trackable could be really cute and having a fake ring in the cache would probably work best. I think that this could be a lot of fun. I am considering everything, so feel free to keep the suggestions flowing!

Thanks for the feedback all! I am still saving for the ring but I wanted to start planning early. I may bother you all again before I pop the question and will be sure to let you know the result.

Oh! Also, I have seen geocoins for several different things and I know they can be ordered for different things, but is it possible for me to design and order a custom geocoin? If so, where? (Remember I am still fairly new to this.)
Yes, but the one-time setup charges are fairly high. A setup fee of $50 (picking a number out of a hat) makes a single coin rather expensive, but adds only $0.10 per coin if you're ordering 500 of the same design. Personally, for a single item, I'd get custom engraving on an existing design.

The problem, of course, is that I don’t want to just leave a diamond ring sitting in the middle of the woods for any cacher to find, though it may be interesting to create a cache there afterwards in honor of our engagement. If I do that, to keep the location secret before she finds it, should I just use a temporary waypoint? Do you think that would take away from the impact? Are there any better options?

- B

Another hobby of mine, magic, will do just fine here. Just a bit of slight of hand. The ring actually goes into the final cache. In a very, very, very secure place. But at the same time, easy to locate if you have the right hint/coords. Could even be a pic spoiler, and I mean an actual photo, so that there is no chance of anyone using a posted pic and getting lucky.

So your ring is hidden, nobody is going to find it. The stage before the final is the key. When you set up the multi, you send everybody else off in an entirely different direction from the ring-cache area. All that is required is that you be the one to get your hands on that stage-cache first. You make a switch. Could be cache container for cache container. Get fancy if you want. Have the thing locked with a combo lock which opens from clues from the previous caches. You just have a duplicate that uses the same combo. You may the grab and quickly switch. A magician at a local shop could help you work something out. I could give you some ideas if you go for this. Hand HER the cache to open. SHE takes out the coords that send you guys off in the other direction. Let her lead the way. All you did was make a switch.