Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Steak N Eggs

ARPS

Guest Steak N Eggs

IS there anyone out there who can help me with some information about ARPS? Mainly on what type of equipment is needed and so forth....

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogedgets.com

Guest Morseman

) but I would sick to a 'proper' TNC to start with.

In fact, if you were ever on Packet, you probably have all the hardware you need!

Then, you need a program to use with your operating system. If you are using Windows, I would suggest a program called UI-View. However, there are other programs, such as WinAPRS.

You don't need to plug the GPSr in initially. As long as you know your lat/long, you can enter the co-ordinates into the program and operate as a 'fixed' station. The you can then make sure the setup is working, and that you can hear other people and plot them on the screen.

When you want to go mobile, you will need to set the GPSr to output NMEA sentences, and then you need to turn these into AX25 Packets to transmit.

Several ways of doing this. You can plug the GPSr into one COM port on the PC, and the TNC to another, and UI-Vew (for instance) can be set up to use one port for the GPSr and the other for the TNC.

Or you can make a HSP switch (couple of transistors, diodes and resistors) and make one port shared between the GPSr and TNC. Useful where the laptop only has one COM port.

Or, you can use a suitable TNC. Some of the newer ones will take in GPSr NMEA output, create the AX25 Packets from that, and output it to the Radio.

If you want to, you can get radios which have TNCs built in, and which wll take the output from the GPSr and retransmit as AX25 packets. The two well known, in APRS circles, are the Kenwood TH-D7, which is a Handheld radio, or the TM-D700 which is a higher power mobile radio. However, they are not cheap!

There's a user group, on the Yahoogroups system, for users of the UI-View program, and the program can be downloaded from several sites. The 16 bit version is free to use, with no restrictions, the 32 bit version requires a £10 (about $14.40 at yesterdays conversion rates) registration fee and it seems to be catching on in some places in the US and other countries.

The author of UI-View has a dedicated site at http://www.UI-View.com

HTH

--... ...--

Morseman

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Steak N Eggs

Thank you both for the information. My goal is to have a system to take with me geocaching and log my tracks at home on the computer, REAL time. Just something I want todo, plus to lpay with another amateur "mode".

Eric

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com