See if co-ords are free - review of new cache

webactive

Hi,

Maybe an easy question but can not find the answer.

Just tried to submit 3 caches we created but all are near multi caches that we do not know the location of.

Is there a way to submit a co-ord and then test it is ok before all the effort of setting up the cache and then waiting for a review,

Many thanks.

Unless you do all the multi-caches and puzzles in the area (so you know where they all are) the only way is to ask the reviewer.

BEFORE you put too much effort into the cache.

Some reviewers will ask you to create the page with the proposed co-ordinates, and in some cases you can send a message with the proposed co-ordinates.

Or, you can go to an area where nobody has placed any caches, so the chances of 'interference' are less/none.

Hi,

Just tried to submit 3 caches we created but all are near multi caches that we do not know the location of.

Is there a way to submit a co-ord and then test it is ok before all the effort of setting up the cache and then waiting for a review,

Many thanks.

Help Center → Geocaching → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

4.9. Checking for Cache Saturation

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

B.

What I have done before when I placing caches in a neighbourhood with some very difficult mysteries that I'd never be able to solve (and thus not being able to find their coordinates) is just asking the persons that I suspect they have a cache in that area if they are willing to give me their final coordinates. This obviously with the promise of not logging their cache nor sharing the solution with others. It always worked out without a problem, people are generally willing to help out....

And knowing the fellow-cachers in your area ofcourse helps to build up trust...

Makes life difficult when you are unable to solve the multi or puzzle cache in the area and hence you are in the dark - there has got to be a better way for this

How is it difficult?

You look at the cache map and see a hole someplace and decide that you want to put a cache there so you make a cache listing page with the coords on it. Next you put a note in the box to the reviewer that you are asking if that spot is clear. You get an answer back from the reviewer, either Yes or No, and if it is Yes you can go place your cache. Simple.

BTW... When you spot that "hole" you can figure that there is something there, especially if it is in town.

BTW... When you spot that "hole" you can figure that there is something there, especially if it is in town.
Yep. The area around my home is rather saturated. If there's a park with a 528ft/161m "hole" with no traditional cache, then either there's a multi-cache or puzzle final there, or the previous cache(s) there have been muggled.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Serious question: why don't you do the multi-caches? That way, you can record the waypoints of each stage, and you'll know where you could possibly hide a new cache.

I can understand having a hard time finding puzzle caches, but I don't understand why you haven't found the multi-caches.

Sounds like the area is already pretty saturated, though.

B.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Serious question: why don't you do the multi-caches? That way, you can record the waypoints of each stage, and you'll know where you could possibly hide a new cache.

I can understand having a hard time finding puzzle caches, but I don't understand why you haven't found the multi-caches.

Sounds like the area is already pretty saturated, though.

B.

I can't speak for the OP, but around here, almost all of the newer multi-caches are puzzles. Go here, get a number off of a sign and perform calculus on it. The old style, go to box #1, open it and read the coordinates to box #2, etc, are almost non-existent. It's not like the old days where you simply had to put in the leg work to get the multi waypoints.

Before you try to place a cache in an area, you need to first find as many puzzles and multis as you can. Otherwise you're just going to be guessing. I've got 40 hides under my belt and 1300 hides and I still have to put up with this. Currently I am looking to place a cache in an area rich with multis and puzzles. I have solved all the puzzles, but still need to complete 2 multis with 7 waypoints between them. Not that I mind too much. Just take your time, get some good fresh air and exercise and enjoy the process of finding those multis before you try to place a cache there.

Also, proximity bumps are not all bad. For instance, say there is a difficult puzzle in the area. You get a proximity bump. This narrows your search area considerably and if there is a good hint for the puzzle hide, you may even be able to find it easily.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I and that is really my point - a tool that lets you know if the point is free which out have to solve every cache would benefit all it.

There is a tool.... it is called a reviewer. It seems like you just don't want to accept that. :)

When I've asked my reviewer(s) for a coords check I've gotten an answer back within 12 hours, most times, and many times less. Heck... I'm still planning the cache at that point and not even sure what the whole thing is going to look like.

I and that is really my point - a tool that lets you know if the point is free which out have to solve every cache would benefit all it.

matt

You're not going to get the answer you want. You want an easy way out and there isn't one. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the work.

The best a reviewer can do is tell you if the location is free or not and which puzzle/multi is too close. But they're not going to give away the puzzle or multi location.

One thing you can do that may save you a bit of grief is to email the reviewer your proposed coordinates *before* you place your cache.

A more automated system has been discussed before, but so far, it doesn't look like it's happening. It would get abused too much, me thinks.

My personal opinion is that cache ownership is best suited to people with high frustration tolerances. If you can't put up with proximity bumps, wait until someone opens your cache in the pouring rain 2 weeks after you drive across town for a maintenance visit.

One of my caches that currently needs maintenance was recently found full of water which had frozen. The cache is hidden under a wooden platform in a low muggle zone and is a lock n lock. It's a 40 minute drive to get there plus a 15 minute walk. :huh:

My personal opinion is that cache ownership is best suited to people with high frustration tolerances. If you can't put up with proximity bumps, wait until someone opens your cache in the pouring rain 2 weeks after you drive across town for a maintenance visit.

One of my caches that currently needs maintenance was recently found full of water which had frozen. The cache is hidden under a wooden platform in a low muggle zone and is a lock n lock. It's a 40 minute drive to get there plus a 15 minute walk. :huh:

Yeah. Off topic here, but makes me wonder about cachers who insist that every cache owner should be able to check on a cache within a week or two. I've got some that are major hikes. They don't get found too often. 45 minute drive. Hour and a half hike in and the same back back out. Two DNFs (they were together). Yeah, I'll check it when I get the time. Maybe in the spring. Definiely not winter friendly, having to go across the logs passing for a bridge... If it was rehidden properly, the bears could not get to it. Oh, well.

But, yes. Cache ownership can be very frusrating.

Maybe it's just me, but I've almost never had a proximity issue. (We won't talk about the Ping Cache.) 84 hides. I don't do densely populated parks. I know where most of the caches in the area are. I hide urban micros, and long hikes in the watershed. New York City through Allamuchy State Park, and Wawayanda State Park. I run a thirty-five radius. Working on a micro series in a densely populated area now. Been at this eight-and-a-half years, and I've never run into this problem!

Yeah. Off topic here, but makes me wonder about cachers who insist that every cache owner should be able to check on a cache within a week or two.

Thank goodness I don't know any cachers like this. People around here are pretty laid back. :huh:

Still working on hiding my recent cache...finished all the multis and puzzles in the area and have put the waypoints on my GPS...Now am going to wander around tomorrow looking for a free spot. Although it did seem like a chore at first, having to do those 2 multis, it turned out to be lots of fun.