Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cybo

GPS Device For Ham Radio

Hi, need some advice

Im choosing between getting a garmin etrex or a geko 201 to use with geocaching along with many other things (ham radio included). Are there any big differences (besides size) between the two? Or any other reasons to choose one over the other? Thanks!

Cybo

cybo2001@hotmail.com

Geko's are WAAS capable, regular yellow eTrex are not.

Both have data cable connectivity.

Yellow use two AA, Geko's use AAA.

Yellow has grey screen levels

Geko's are black and white.

All of this info was gleaned from looking at Garmin's Webpage.

You decide, it's your money. If you are thinking about using one in conjunct with an APRS rig, that's a different question. Maybe you meant to post this on a different forum?

Happy Caching.

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

Sorry, but posted here because I also wanted to know about using it in conjunction with a TNC or Computer (with sound card interface in latter). My apologies for not specifying the question with regards to Ham Radio. Thank You!

Cybo

Neither. I use an NWS pull strictly dedicated to use for radio. I covered how to recover these GPSrs in a previous post somewhere on this forum. Basically, you capture them by recovering weather balloons. It is a motorola board, no case. Connect 4 wires and plug it in.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I remember you mentioning these before, Mike. How do you find out when a weather balloon is in need of being recovered?

I'm in Washington State, Spokane area. Any ideas? I'd personally love to be able to set up an APRS rig (once I pass the exams!)

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

quote:
Originally posted by Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell):

I remember you mentioning these before, Mike. How do you find out when a weather balloon is in need of being recovered?

I'm in Washington State, Spokane area. Any ideas? I'd personally love to be able to set up an APRS rig (once I pass the exams!)

OK, I took the time to search out the thread, her it is: MESSAGE.

You need to track the balloons by radio, and once they land, just grab it. They transmit on 1.68 GHz, +/- drift and doppler.

If you have any more specific questions, just ask.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!