Whiners

SooMukwas

"Dude the next time you hand over a solution to ------ you should make sure he puts the coords through geochecker before claiming he found the cache. That way some people might believe the story more."

Maybe they should have noticed the geochecker had a 1 solved on it?

And insult someone because they solve a puzzle before someone else? LOL!

I better stop before I sound like this whiner.

I believe that on any given puzzle cache only half of the smileys are from people who actually completed the puzzle. Seems the cache the OP is referring too is on par to me.

And the other half that "found" it probably went to the coordinates listed and threw one down because the original was missing.

I believe that on any given puzzle cache only half of the smileys are from people who actually completed the puzzle. Seems the cache the OP is referring too is on par to me.

And the other half that "found" it probably went to the coordinates listed and threw one down because the original was missing.

That may be a good reason to put the bogus coordinates in the middle of a lake or some other location that isn't accessible.

However I find your implication that if you didn't use the coordinate checker you didn't solve the puzzle insulting. When I started geocaching there were no coordinate checker sites and when you solved the puzzle if you were certain enough that you had the correct solution you'd go and look for it. (Otherwise you might email the owner to verify your answer). Since checkers are not required, this is still true for many puzzles. However, I have solved puzzle and being quite sure that my answer is correct, I have gone and found the cache without using the checker. I believe that I even have a few FTFs this way.

Owners do occasionally reset their geocheck links and as others say, not everyone uses them. I have reset my geocheck counters a few times for isolated reasons, once when I changed the puzzle a bit.

So what, its a social game. I like to solve puzzles, but if I have reached my limit on a particular one, I see no reason to not ask friends for help. I will return the favor someday. I like to at least understand the puzzle.

That may be a good reason to put the bogus coordinates in the middle of a lake or some other location that isn't accessible.

However I find your implication that if you didn't use the coordinate checker you didn't solve the puzzle insulting. When I started geocaching there were no coordinate checker sites and when you solved the puzzle if you were certain enough that you had the correct solution you'd go and look for it. (Otherwise you might email the owner to verify your answer). Since checkers are not required, this is still true for many puzzles. However, I have solved puzzle and being quite sure that my answer is correct, I have gone and found the cache without using the checker. I believe that I even have a few FTFs this way.

If you're referring to my implication.....That's not what I was implying. I'm implying that on any given puzzle cache only half of the smileys are from people who actually completed the puzzle....regardless of the use or non use of the geochecker.

some puzzles the cache can be found and signed,

with out even understanding the puzzle and not even solving it

a local new puzzle, got allready two finds, bit NONE even filled in the geochecker it still say

0 OK 0 WRONG

how this is possible, I can offcourse not reveal here

I've never seen a co-ordinates checker that tells how many correct solutions were entered.

THIS ONE does.

Fine and dandy.

How does that help ME solve the puzzle?

It gives you a good idea how hard it's going to be.

More importantly, it gives the CO information that might tell them that the puzzle is harder than they intended. That might cause them to add a hint or an additional clue that could make solving it easier. I've got one puzzle that requires solving for six numbers, where each number is a puzzle to be solved (they're all similar). That coordinate checker told me which of them people were having the most difficultly figuring out but I didn't think it was enough to change the puzzle.

Then there is the case where the CHECKER is simply wrong. I did one last year where the solution was clear, but the checker varied in it's answer. My first one checked OK, then later others claimed that the checked coordinates didn't work and it was disabled due to checker problems... I found it exactly at the obvious and verified originally, coordinates. Is now archived for future use of the area.

Another one the checker was simply off by 200 km. or so as was the solution itself... typo in coordinates.

Doug 7rxc

I have Puzzle. Only like 5% of the finders used the checker. The others figured it out by themselves. One didn't even look at the puzzle he figured it out by reading the short description (permission, what size cache etc) There are many legitimate reason why one could find the cache and not use the checker. Even some that the CO may bot like. If I stumble on a cache, I'm signing the log, and logging it online if I can figure out which cache it is. Doesn't matter that I didn't solve the puzzle I signed the log, and that's all Groundspeak requires-Well I would try to solve the puzzle but I don't have to.

Edited by T.D.M.22

some puzzles the cache can be found and signed,

with out even understanding the puzzle and not even solving it

a local new puzzle, got allready two finds, bit NONE even filled in the geochecker it still say

0 OK 0 WRONG

how this is possible, I can offcourse not reveal here

It is NOT required to verify your puzzle solution in the checker before you go and find the physical cache, and failure to do so DOES NOT mean that you didn't solve the puzzle.

I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to solving these things, but I saw a resistor color code challenge and only needed a quick reminder look at the color chart to verify that I still remembered the colors. I solved the puzzle in seconds and there was no reason for me to use the provided checker. If my failure to use the checker caused the CO to accuse me of cheating, I'd dump the rest of his caches on my Ignore list and get on with my life.

I agree. There are no rules saying you cant give a buddy the solution to a tricky puzzle,and then let him go and grab an FTF and gloat about it in a log. I mean who doesnt enjoy a good FTF gloat! If that's how you want to play the game I guess putting up a fuss about it is whining. By the way the cache SooMukwas is talking about is GC43507. You will see that as of right now, there is still only one successful entry on the geochecker. As I said, I noticed this just after the cache was published, and remember discussing with someone else my amazement at how fast it was solved. We immediately figured that this entry was put up by the CO. I have it on pretty good authority that this was indeed the case. Apparently, it is such a challenging puzzle that the CO decided to put up a successful geochecker entry to let people know it could indeed be solved. So, it just seemed very mysterious that the successful FTF claimant, a cacher known to love to make a run for FTFs would have solved this very difficult cache within minutes of publishing, and then waited days before sauntering out to nab the FTF. I questioned the legitimacy of this claim and am now being called a whiner. Well folks, so be it. If I'm a whiner then I'm a whiner. I will however refrain from posting examples of recent "whining" posted by the cacher who started this post in the first place. If you're that interested I'm sure you can look them up for yourselves. Cheers folks. Keep smiling and keep caching. Remember... Everybody plays this game by their own rules.

I mean who doesnt enjoy a good FTF gloat!

Me, for one.

So, it just seemed very mysterious that the successful FTF claimant, a cacher known to love to make a run for FTFs would have solved this very difficult cache within minutes of publishing, and then waited days before sauntering out to nab the FTF. I questioned the legitimacy of this claim and am now being called a whiner.

Good. I don't know if I would use the same term, but clearly you have let the whole FTF game get way too important to you.

Remember... Everybody plays this game by their own rules.

Um, not exactly.

I agree. There are no rules saying you cant give a buddy the solution to a tricky puzzle,and then let him go and grab an FTF and gloat about it in a log. I mean who doesnt enjoy a good FTF gloat! If that's how you want to play the game I guess putting up a fuss about it is whining. By the way the cache SooMukwas is talking about is GC43507. You will see that as of right now, there is still only one successful entry on the geochecker. As I said, I noticed this just after the cache was published, and remember discussing with someone else my amazement at how fast it was solved. We immediately figured that this entry was put up by the CO. I have it on pretty good authority that this was indeed the case. Apparently, it is such a challenging puzzle that the CO decided to put up a successful geochecker entry to let people know it could indeed be solved. So, it just seemed very mysterious that the successful FTF claimant, a cacher known to love to make a run for FTFs would have solved this very difficult cache within minutes of publishing, and then waited days before sauntering out to nab the FTF. I questioned the legitimacy of this claim and am now being called a whiner. Well folks, so be it. If I'm a whiner then I'm a whiner. I will however refrain from posting examples of recent "whining" posted by the cacher who started this post in the first place. If you're that interested I'm sure you can look them up for yourselves. Cheers folks. Keep smiling and keep caching. Remember... Everybody plays this game by their own rules.

So, all this whining isn't really about a puzzle at all? It's about a silly FTF that you feel you were cheated out of?

Never mind...

I tried to solve a puzzle today.

Geochecker said 10 correct 221 incorrect

yet there were 18 found it logs.

What irks me is all my incorrect guesses when I thought I was positive of the answers

-----------

This may look a bit odd, but I explain a few of the cases:

1) some people are VERY smart, they can solve stuff and really thrust them self to have the right solution

they dont need to check anything, they just go and find the cache.

2) some people are NOT smart, but got alot of smart friends, they ask for final cord, and go find cache

3) some might find the cache by accident, not even seen the page or the puzzle

4) hint or logs or pictures might reveal to a local where the cache is.

5) in some areas the 161m rule can reveal where a cache is

Edited by OZ2CPU

The two puzzle caches that I have solved / found didn't have any form of geochecker on the page. The first one was easy as I know the area very well and was happy to go there, confident in my solution. The second one I solved / found was harder as one of the clue objects no longer exists, so with 99% of the solution (the solution was missing one number from the west coords) and google maps I managed to pin down the cache location to one of ten possible solutions.

My first mystery cache didn't have a geochecker on until a couple of people suggested it as one of the puzzles could be solved in different ways, so the checker helped clarify the solution and saved people potentially trespassing, despite the cache page stating that the final coords didn't lead to private land.

I see the benefit of geochecker but can see why it wouldn't always reflect an accurate measure of solved to found logs.

on some puzzles it makes alot of sense to add a geochecker

while others it does not, specielly if the solution works like, when you solved it correctly,

you know for sure the cords are right, can not be misunderstood.

offcourse we dont want to play fools with our friends,

so a geochecker can help to prevent people to go and look all the wrong places,

I really like to run my number thru a checker, confirmed or failed, fine..

then I know if my trip is worth taking or not.

a geochecker is CO2 friendly you might say :-)

"Dude the next time you hand over a solution to ------ you should make sure he puts the coords through geochecker before claiming he found the cache. That way some people might believe the story more."

Maybe they should have noticed the geochecker had a 1 solved on it?

And insult someone because they solve a puzzle before someone else? LOL!

I better stop before I sound like this whiner.

Yeah, you should, but there is so much petty whining over an activity that although a lot of fun is basically just organized and well-documented littering. Welcome to the real world.