Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

What do you use?

This list seems a bit dead, so let me try to stir up some activity.

Do you carry any ham radio gear while caching?

If so, what?

Any accessories?

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Texas.

I carry a dual-band handheld. It is an ICOM IC-W32A. Since I have family members licensed, it is my primary comm, with a cell phone as backup. I pack it high on my camelbak pack, with the antenna out the top, and use a small speaker-mic clipped to the shoulder strap. I also carry a spare battery.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Texas.

Its great. Tri band. 440, 2M, and 1 1/4M. Same method of Carry almost (I carry a small backpack that I strap it to). I'm new to HAM Radio so have had few chances to use it for caching so far. KD7SET. icon_cool.gif

Its great. Tri band. 440, 2M, and 1 1/4M. Same method of Carry almost (I carry a small backpack that I strap it to). I'm new to HAM Radio so have had few chances to use it for caching so far. KD7SET. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GlfWrVt:

I also Carry a gun!!! icon_wink.gif

Tango Down!!!

Don't need a gun here.

I sometimes carry an ADI AT600 but would like to get a TH-D7, maybe.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people, people with guns.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by GlfWrVt:

I also Carry a gun!!! icon_wink.gif

Tango Down!!!

Don't need a gun here.

I sometimes carry an ADI AT600 but would like to get a TH-D7, maybe.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people, people with guns.

--... ...--

Morseman

I carry a commercial handy and have it tuned to the repeater I have at my house. This works quite well for anything within a 20 mile radius. I think some people must think I'm an undercover park warden with the radio and my Tilley hat. icon_wink.gif

I carry a commercial handy and have it tuned to the repeater I have at my house. This works quite well for anything within a 20 mile radius. I think some people must think I'm an undercover park warden with the radio and my Tilley hat. icon_wink.gif

I use a icom v8 hand held , I bought at a local hamfest in Feb. It seems to work real well and has a good receiver in it. 5 watts out and I also have a 50 watt 2mtr mobile rig in the truck. I allways have it ever time I go Cache hunting. We have Big scopes of woods in my area and you will get lost very easy.

Happy Hunting

Continouswave

so I talk on local repeaters on my VX-5RS,

and I have even brought along my FT-817 and done

HF from a popular cache where I knew there would be

other cachers.

--.../...--

AD0OR

I have a Realistic HTX-202 (one of the first models to come out) with spare battery pack, I also have a Yaesu FT-2500 in the truck. I carry a roll up J-Pole in my pack and a speaker/mic.

Stay safe & happy hunting.

KB5YUE

phantom

kb5yue

"Free your mind" - Morpheus - The Matrix

and the FT1500 in the truck. Have not gone HF mobile yet but soon. I talk on 146.52 sim to the wife when the terrain is bad. We have had a couple of cachers in the Portland area and down in Eureaka Ca. come back to us. We ALWAYS have radio comms with us.

If your ever in the Crescent City CA area, give us a shout on 146.88- 136.5 tone. Or on 7.294 lsb at 7pm (Pacific) on HF. We check in on the Sandia net every once in a while. It's an open net so just jump in there and ask net control you want to make a call.

73's from KF6VFH, and KF6VFI. Eric and Lori.

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

Occasionally I bring my QRP CW rig if I'm headed out backpacking. Had it up on Mt. Washington in NH in June; 5 watts goes a long way from that elevation!

73 - N1KV

ADI AT-600

Also - HP Palm with a Tiger mico-modem for packet out in the field.

KX0ZPA (got tired if sorting out all the KCs and KDs)

73's

I got one of those Radio Shack portable CB's. It sure goes thru the batteries! I almost bought a GPS transceiver at a ham swap meet. It was a 100 watt job, but it only worked in CW mode. I don't know code yet, so I had to pass it up.

SSB-132R

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

I almost bought a GPS transceiver at a ham swap meet. It was a 100 watt job, but it only worked in CW mode. I don't know code yet, so I had to pass it up.

SSB-132R

This is amusing! GPS transceiver???

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Don't leave home without it. Kenwood TH-79A dual bander. Wife has the same. we work simplex on 446.000 or 445.000 and keep local Rptrs on 2 Meters. Usally state wide link for SD. I have a Kenwood 721 Dual bander I do cross band repeat, when were out far away from systems, so we can get into them.

Moogy & The_Gar N0WWQ & KA0CLH

It adds a whole new level of operating to my radio. The HM-75 allows me to switch between Hi and Lo band, VFO or Memory on either band, and step VFO freq or Memory number up or down. So now I can control the most needed functions of my IC-W32A while on the move, and never need to take the radio from its holder clipped to my Camelbak HAWG. Since I am a park volunteer, I can now monitor the park freq and a local freq too, and respond to any call on either freq. This is GREAT.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:
Originally posted by Cholo:

I almost bought a GPS transceiver at a ham swap meet. It was a 100 watt job, but it only worked in CW mode. I don't know code yet, so I had to pass it up.

SSB-132R

This is amusing! GPS transceiver???

And one that only works in CW mode as well!

Since my last posting I've bought a second hand Kenwood TH-D7E and can be seen driving up and down the M1 Motorway each morning and evening, until next Friday that is, unless I'm talking on one of the 70cm beacons.

I'm thinking of combining Geocaching/Geodashing with some Adventure Radio Society expeditions in the new year. I will probably take my NorCal20, a paddle key made from a 'dead' computer mouse, and a glassfibre fishing pole to support the antenna.

--... ...--

Morseman

a 100 watt CW GPS transmitter for Christmas.

Actually, I remember a Wal-Mart newspaper add a few years back. Or maybe it was Radio Shack. In any case, they advertized 500 watt FRS handheld radios. Batteries not included. I'll bet!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom:

... I carry a roll up J-Pole in my pack ...

phantom

kb5yue

Please tell me more about your antenna. Web site available?

Thanks,

N7FMH

Best Regards,

Fred

quote:
Originally posted by fmhillhouse:

quote:
Originally posted by phantom:

... I carry a roll up J-Pole in my pack ...

phantom

kb5yue

Please tell me more about your antenna. Web site available?

Thanks,

N7FMH

Best Regards,

Fred

Well, I'm not the original poster, but I am familiar with this antenna. There are many web sites dealing with the construction of this antenna so here's one for ya. http://hamgate1.sunyerie.edu/races/antenna/pocket.htm The nice thing about this antenna is that it is easy to pack but most important, with a small lead fishing line weight and some nylon line, you can toss it up over a tree branch and hoist your antenna up a bit for much better range. There are plenty of repeaters around where I live so I just use an MFJ telescoping antenna that GREATLY improves communications over the stock "rubber duck" antenna. The latest QST magazine has an article on a neat dual-band roll-up j-pole.

Eric

N3EF

I usually carry a VX-5R while hiking. At my last count the adults and scouts in our troop have a total of 8 of these. Very light and compact, very high capacity battery pack.

We use 146.52 on the trail (Remeber the "Wilderness Protocol"?) and use repeaters to keep in contact with someone down the mountain. We use chase vehicles with mobile radios on most hikes, also.

I wouldn't leave the beaten path without an HT, any more than I would leave my GPSr.

73's de Dave, W6DPS

My caching equipment is as follows:

In the truck:

(1) Kenwood TM-D700A

APRS + 2m/440 QSOs.

(2) Garmin GPSmap 162.

This is an AMAZING WAAS capable GPS. The display is very large and easy to read. It replaced my StreetPilot which now lives in the wifes car.

On my person:

(1) Garmin rino120

Nifty little WAAS capable GPS with FRS/GMRS radio to boot. I just got it today but, the thing is absolutely amazing. And now, I won't look as silly as I did when I was carting my StreetPilot through the woods!

(2) Kenwood TH-D7A(G)

APRS beacons, just in case. I digi via the TM-D700 in my truck and my position is also displayed on the GPS in the truck, just for good measure. I also use this rig for 2m/440 on the local repeaters, simplex freqs and every once in a while, a satellite QSO.

(3) Nextel phone

You just never know what you're going to happen across while out caching. It is nice to be able to reach someone via phone in the event of an emergency. Granted, I've got amateur radio, FRS and GMRS but, in an emergency, those are all BACKUPS for the phone.

(4) Glock 19

Again, you just never know what you're going to happen across. Peace by superior firepower is my motto. ;-)

(5) A couple of trash bags. You know - "Cache IN, Trash OUT."

John - K4WTF

Enterzone -

I'm interested in hearing more about your APRS setup - specifically how you use your D7 to beacon back to your truck....

What do I use?

I carry my Icom IC-T7H while caching. Usually tuned to a local UHF repeater and IRLP node. I have an IC-2720H in the car but I rarely do any crossbanding since I can't imagine a place in South Florida where I couldn't raise at least 2 or 3 repeaters with an HT. Nice to have the capability, though.......

-- Scott

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything." -- Johannes Kepler

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Trekker:

I've got a Yeasu VX-5R that follows me everywhere.

There is no HT (Yet) that can surpass it (Yes, I have tried MANY)

Pretty bold statement. Maybe I should throw my Icom, Alinco, and Motorola away if they are now useless?

Yes, it is a good one. However, it has its disadvantages also. For my purposes, it is a poor choice. The most obvious is I now get about 3 days out of a battery. (As does Flatlander now!) Also, I can leave the radio hung on the pack and run it from the remote-control mic. I don't need all the extra freqs, although it will do plenty if I want to modify it. And I don't want to deal with Yaesu's poor parts/service. (They ARE STILL better than Kenwood!)

That said, glad it is the perfect radio for you. In the end, they are ALL good, till they break!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

The most obvious is I now get about 3 days out of a battery. (As does Flatlander now!)

Yes I do! DW has a really creative, practical, and relatively economical solution that may be applicable to other HTs that can take a AA battery pack. Still haven't run down the batteries I put in there on Saturday.

Thanks, Mike!

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything." -- Johannes Kepler

quote:
Originally posted by Flatlander22:

Enterzone -

I'm interested in hearing more about your APRS setup - specifically how you use your D7 to beacon back to your truck....

I set the D700 in the truck to be a digi but, not with "RELAY" but rather with an alias I have chosen. Then, I set the D7 with the path of "[my alias] relay wide".

So, I can run the D7 in extra low power mode and still beacon, send/rx messages, etc via the D700.

The D700 is set up to send waypoints to the GPSmap 162 in the truck so, when I beacon from the D7, I display on the map of the GPS in the truck.

It works pretty well.

What do I carry? A pr-77, m60 machine gun, sometimes a barret light .50 cal, .45 cal a few grenades...oh wait, for Geocaching:

I carry a Radshack htx-200 that holds 2 aa for 200mw or 9vdc external input for 2w, it covers 144-148 tx and 136-174 rx. I bought 4 of them on clearance for $25 each.

I use my Garmin gps 12 for computations with a yellow etrex for backup. Extra batteries, bags for trash and cache. Lensatic compass,topmap, watch, notepad, pens and pencils/w sharpener, first aid kit, walking stick (also good for probing brush for caches) a positive attitude and a friendly smile.

Do not forget to hydrate! In unfamiliar territory bring along another person or tell someone where you are going and expected time of return along with primary and secondary frequencies (radios used). Have a list of repeaters,their location and tone settings (if any)...repeater directory from ARRL helpful.

Bring a hat to help protect you from the elements and critters...sunscreen and repellents if required.

Greatly appreciate the website on the roll up 2m antennae (posted above). This site has a lot of information. Thank You! 73's and Happy geocaching- KD7KYU

Even in familiar territory I still check out with others as a safety issue when going out alone.

[This message was edited by real deal on July 02, 2003 at 09:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by real deal on July 02, 2003 at 09:23 AM.]

Yaesu VX-7R

Yaesu FT-10

RadioTrash HTX-202

Vertex VX-10 UHF

Motorola HT-1000 (UHF)

Motorola Saber III (UHF)

No, I dont carry them all at once

I am a Yaesu fan, but not limited only to Yaesu of course.

My first radio I got right when I got my licence. I've had it for 2 years now and seemed kind of expensive at the age of 17. It's an FT-51R and it was well worth the money.

I also have a FT-10R which is also nice. Much more compact than the 51R but is only a 2m single bander.

I volunteer for communications at events and I find myself picking up my old FT-51R instead of my 10R for some reason.

If I ever get a TNC then I will use the FT-10R and my Garmin eMap to run a mobile APRS station.

I'm a broke student now and am wishing I bought a 2m mobile instead of a second handheld. I often have to use my homemade roll-up twin lead J-pole or mag-mount antennas for the increased gain as the rubberduckies aren't good enough, even at the max 5 watts.