The Many, Many Uses Of Bison Tubes

McFlyAway

I 've been thinking over woodsy cache ideas for the last few monthes, and I think I've come up with something. However, I won't disclose any details here.

I ordered some bison tubes online, and I've been trying to think of creative container uses for them. Here's what I've got:

Fake stick.

Pipe that you fill with water.

Just hang it on a tree.

Fake water pipe (on geosnippets)

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,

Geoguy14

I 've been thinking over woodsy cache ideas for the last few monthes, and I think I've come up with something. However, I won't disclose any details here.

I ordered some bison tubes online, and I've been trying to think of creative container uses for them. Here's what I've got:

Fake stick.

Pipe that you fill with water.

Just hang it on a tree.

Fake water pipe (on geosnippets)

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,

Geoguy14

I've seen bison tubes put into fake spiders, fake snakes, and other creative bits of camo. Basically, anything a bit larger than a bison tube could be used to contain the bison and hidden in plain site. Consider making a cache that follows some sort of theme, and use an outer container that follows the them with a bison inside. For something in the woods you could use a fake mushroom, a fake squuirrel, or all sorts of things one might find in the woods. I actually want to get a small bison to replace a cache that need maintenance but need to try an find a specific item into which I can insert a bison. If I can find what I'm looking for the container will be a clever play on words with the cache title which also describes the location.

Keep in mind that bison tubes may not be as waterproof as they appear. In fact, they are not waterproof, but water resistant. Any tube will let water in if the seal ring degrades or if any material gets caught in the thread to let water wick in.

And don't overstuff a bison with the log. The paper will eventually swell from use, humidity, and/or water and it'll be a booger for finders to get it out and to replace it.

Keep in mind that bison tubes may not be as waterproof as they appear. In fact, they are not waterproof, but water resistant. Any tube will let water in if the seal ring degrades or if any material gets caught in the thread to let water wick in.

And don't overstuff a bison with the log. The paper will eventually swell from use, humidity, and/or water and it'll be a booger for finders to get it out and to replace it.

Unique is great. Even with as few hides as I have, unique is a hard concept though. Bison tubes are flexible, but they do have some limitations.

Some suggestions:

1. Keep it off the dirt. Dirt kills the threads of the tube. If you put it in a hollow tree, they're full of dirt. If you put it in a stump, it's full of dirt. If at all possible, make sure it's hanging somewhere so that water runs off it and does not stand around it.

2. Use some paraffin based wax on the threads. That lubricates them, and helps keep some moisture out by sealing the threads. Paraffin won't get hard in the elements. ChapStick works well if you're the one finding it. Keep one with you.

3. Plan on maintaining it. SOMEONE WILL use a multi-tool on the tube and crush it or damage the threads because SOMEONE ELSE over tightens the cap. Even if they manage to get the cap back on, it's going to take on water if it gets the slightest defect in the threads or cylinder. The logs don't hold many sigs either.

4. Micros in the woods are not a good idea if you don't plan on spending time to maintain them. I recommend quarterly visits. That cuts into caching time, but if you put it out, you should take care of it. They're a great idea if you're looking for difficulty and plan to keep them well maintained, especially if they're going to see a lot of traffic.

5. If you're going to paint it to hide it, sandblast it first to etch the anodizing and provide a rough surface for the paint to stick to. Otherwise, the paint will come off by the time it's opened the 3rd time making it stand out like a sore thumb, especially if it's one of the brighter colors. Paint does NOT stick to anodized aluminum.

Hobby stores sell clay in different colors which harden when put into the oven for a bit. Find an anomaly, and then choose the color clay and mold it to the shape with the bison tube stuck in it. Take the rubber O ring off before hardening it in the oven. Separate the tube from the hardened clay and use glue, as it will eventually separate anyhow, and youre set for a possible 4 difficulty hide.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

You said woodsy? As in lots of trees away from people? Try placing an ammo can or even a LnL. There is no real reason to hide anything smaller than an LnL in an areal like that. It's not always about how hard it is to find. When I started caching I was hiding large containers. I got many comments on how it was a nice change.

Don't forget. Anything that keeps water out will keep the water(from rain, snow, fog) IN when you open it. There are people who cache in the rain, drop them in the snow.

I've become a fan of using non-containers for stages of a multi-cache (and for decoys) as much as possible. I've seen containers like that acquire "replacement" log sheets. Then future seekers sign the "replacement" log sheets and stop before they find the actual cache.

Sometimes a container is needed for a stage of a multi-cache. But a metal plant tag from a garden shop can often work as well as (or better than) a slip of paper in a Bison tube, and you don't need to worry about "replacement" log sheets with a metal plant tag.

What I mean is bison tubes for stages of a multicache. The final is a wooden box, which leads to a bonus cache. Hope that clears everything up.

Again with that type of area there is no need to use a bison tube. Use a small LnL. Or don't use a container at all. Perhaps a set of co-ords engraved on a dog tag nailed to a fence post(with permission of course) Or a series of reflectors to count...Like was mentioned above me there are ways and good reasons not to use a container at all.

Best containers to hide bison tubes in are something which shelters the tube from falling or seeping water. Those o-rings last until about the first find and then (if not shot when you received them in the mail) fall off. Water gets in and logs get soggy.

Do not place bison tubes in the bottom of objects as not only may they end up sitting in a pool, earthworms love to come up under things and fill that space with, well, earth.

Probably best to start with sketching out camo hides with do an excellent job of keeping the tube, thus log, dry, then workout the rest of your hide plan, incorporating good design skills.

As I was on the road a lot over the weekend I kept finding odd bits along the way which could be used for making some outstanding camo, if not outright absurd (gotta get those fave points somehow!)

What I mean is bison tubes for stages of a multicache. The final is a wooden box, which leads to a bonus cache. Hope that clears everything up.

Again with that type of area there is no need to use a bison tube. Use a small LnL. Or don't use a container at all. Perhaps a set of co-ords engraved on a dog tag nailed to a fence post(with permission of course) Or a series of reflectors to count...Like was mentioned above me there are ways and good reasons not to use a container at all.

I've seen a first stage for a multi with the subsequent coordinates written on a rock. One of the first multis I did used a short piece of 2x4, placed on an already existing wooden structure such that it looked like it was part of the structure. The coordinates were written on the back. One of the advantages of *not* using a physical stages is that you don't have to worry about proximity issues with other caches.

You said woodsy? As in lots of trees away from people? Try placing an ammo can or even a LnL. There is no real reason to hide anything smaller than an LnL in an areal like that. It's not always about how hard it is to find. When I started caching I was hiding large containers. I got many comments on how it was a nice change.

Don't forget. Anything that keeps water out will keep the water(from rain, snow, fog) IN when you open it. There are people who cache in the rain, drop them in the snow.

Hey, if he wants to hide a bison in the tree, let him. I say you paint it green and glue fake leaves all over it. You'll be the talk of the town. Of course, the talk may not be good, but they will be talking.

Actually, this is one of my pet peeves. Justified, or not, I do not like hiking five miles to learn that I'm looking for a cammoed bison hanging in a bush. I guess after putting in the work to get to GZ, I feel entitled to finding the cache. I realize how selfish that sounds, but it's the way I feel when I'm standing there.

I usually use bison tubes to try to protect the log when I am making a cache out of a bigger, natural looking object. I think that I have only hidden one on it's own. I also have one hanging from my keychain with four ibuprofens in it, in case I get a major headache looking for a bison in a bush.

I've seen a first stage for a multi with the subsequent coordinates written on a rock. One of the first multis I did used a short piece of 2x4, placed on an already existing wooden structure such that it looked like it was part of the structure. The coordinates were written on the back. One of the advantages of *not* using a physical stages is that you don't have to worry about proximity issues with other caches.

Any item placed by the CO is considered a physical stage, not just a container. I don't necessarily like it or agree with it, but that is how I remember it, unless it's changed, haven't read that section in a long while.

Edited by M 5

So, here's my idea. The posted coords point to a local museum, where one must gather information.

That leads to a stage in a metropark, which may lead to another, which leads to another (possibly a match holder in a pipe one must fill with water), and then the final. There is a puzzle at the final that leads to a bonus cache (my own idea: a fake stick). I'm still trying to figure out the rest.

Any item placed by the CO is considered a physical stage, not just a container. I don't necessarily like it or agree with it, but that is how I remember it, unless it's changed, haven't read that section in a long while.

Aftet a review of the placement guidelines and the help center pages I see that you are correct. However depending on where you look the terms "physical stage" , "physical element", "physical cache", and even "physical location" are all used. In any case, they all seem to be interchangeable but it would be nice if they were consistent, My response probably could be interpreted that putting a set of coordinates on some sort of object might be exempt from proximity guidelines, but that's obviously not the case. However, the last sentence (using a virtual stage instead of a physical stage) holds true.

My response probably could be interpreted that putting a set of coordinates on some sort of object might be exempt from proximity guidelines, but that's obviously not the case.
And just to make things more confusing, apparently the reflective markers (e.g., FireTacks) used for some night caches are often not counted against the saturation guidelines.
My response probably could be interpreted that putting a set of coordinates on some sort of object might be exempt from proximity guidelines, but that's obviously not the case.
And just to make things more confusing, apparently the reflective markers (e.g., FireTacks) used for some night caches are often not counted against the saturation guidelines.

GC.com does sell them after all

Many such night caches are listed as "unknown" implying listed coordinates have no meaning (I'd call them multi-cache as you do have to go there to find something).

Recently I created a night cache, which describes having to follow reflectors. The trail passes by a traditional cache hide (one of my own). I didn't give any coordinates of reflectors, just the start and the final. Got accepted no questions asked.

And it's of course also up to the cache creator to make sure you don't cross another reflector trial!

Indeed it's ambiguous, this are after all physical things placed, but on the other hand there is little to no risk of confusion.

And it's of course also up to the cache creator to make sure you don't cross another reflector trial!

In New Jersey, they love night caches, and I saw two (by the same CO) that started at the exact same spot. Nothing in the description seemed to tell me how to know which trail I would be following. As much as I wanted to, I didn't get a chance to go there at night, so I don't know if it made more sense in the right atmosphere, or if you just followed whichever one you saw and figured out what you'd found when you got to the end.

Indeed it's ambiguous, this are after all physical things placed, but on the other hand there is little to no risk of confusion.

The general proximity rules make a lot of sense to me, basically preventing anything put in the field by COs from being too close to one another. I think night cache techniques were given an exception because they only come into play at night, so it made sense not to straightjacket night caches by worrying about it. After all, I think everyone likes the idea of night caches, so I'm not surprised they're given this little advantage.

Glue a magnet to the tube. Use a rock with light weight poly rope to toss over a branch. Pull down the branch and tie it off in that position. Glue a magnet to the branch. When dry attach the bison tube and let the branch back up. The rock/rope could be hidden nearby as a hint. When I did mine like this I had found a piece of standard electrical wire in the forest. I used the bison as the first stage of a multi so TBs and swag could go in the final, much easier to find, stage.

Oh, and once I found one inside a plastic toy bison (the animal). I had a good laugh.
I have one out like that. It is located on Buffalo Rd. 2 bisons and a buffalo.
I have a "Bison Tube" hide, too. I used a different tube than a pill container, though. Had I had a drill press at the time, I'd have been able to drill the hole in an anatomically correct spot, but mine is drilled through the sides and the tube (a preform container) runs through the bison. Had you found such a creature in the wild, they'd not have survived.

Glad I found this thread.

I recently bought a few bison tubes off ebay. The seller messed up my order and now I have over a dozen and I'm left wandering what to do with them.

BTW I replace the O rings from own supply which are a better quality and last much longer.

The replacement o ring is a good idea. It really makes a difference.

I recently bought a few bison tubes off ebay. The seller messed up my order and now I have over a dozen and I'm left wandering what to do with them.

BTW I replace the O rings from own supply which are a better quality and last much longer.

Prizes for geocache events. And it's wondering. Unless you're so worried what to do with them that you can't stop walking aimlessly.

So, here's my idea. The posted coords point to a local museum, where one must gather information.

That leads to a stage in a metropark, which may lead to another, which leads to another (possibly a match holder in a pipe one must fill with water), and then the final. There is a puzzle at the final that leads to a bonus cache (my own idea: a fake stick). I'm still trying to figure out the rest.

The locations sound interesting. Bear in mind that a lot of travel for a multi reduces the number of finders. :huh: Many cachers expect several smileys if they burn that much gasoline (and time). :mellow:

Prizes for geocache events. And it's wondering. Unless you're so worried what to do with them that you can't stop walking aimlessly.

Sell the extras on ebay. Just don't mess up the order. ;)

I noticed the OP is planning to have the finders of the multi-cache go to a local museum to "gather information." As I remember the rules, you can't require cachers to pay for admission to anything in order get the necessary data to find the cache. If the museum charges admission, that may be a problem for this cache. Also, even if the museum is free, the cache owner needs to post the hours of operation on the cache description page, or he's going to have a lot of angry DNF posts!

I noticed the OP is planning to have the finders of the multi-cache go to a local museum to "gather information." As I remember the rules, you can't require cachers to pay for admission to anything in order get the necessary data to find the cache. If the museum charges admission, that may be a problem for this cache. Also, even if the museum is free, the cache owner needs to post the hours of operation on the cache description page, or he's going to have a lot of angry DNF posts!

Not true. Admission into a national park, or in this case a museum would could be allowed. Now admission into Disney Land, or a cover charge at a bar isn't. I do believe it has to state that admission is required, but it is not completely banned.

And most interestingly, how did the conversation turn to bison tubes?
I think it had something to do with geoguy14 choosing "The Many, Many Uses Of Bison Tubes" as the subject of the thread...

I think he meant the subject of conversation between the Dolphin Dude and his co-worker.

At any rate, I have a bison tube on my key chain that I actually put my blood pressure medicine in while I'm hiking. Imagine that, someone using a bison tube for it's intended purpose.

And most interestingly, how did the conversation turn to bison tubes?
I think it had something to do with geoguy14 choosing "The Many, Many Uses Of Bison Tubes" as the subject of the thread...
I think he meant the subject of conversation between the Dolphin Dude and his co-worker.
Ahhh... then, nevermind.