GSAK GPS help

SaltyDog20

Fellow Cachers,

Recently I've come across a quandry with GSAK in regards to my databases. I live in the San Diego area and that database now holds somewhere in the 7000's of caches; my GPSMAP 62st can only hold 5000 at a time. Until I can get my hands on the new Oregon 600 series I am currently stuck with only having 5000 caches to choose from at a time. Getting to the point, how is it I can send just the caches that are not logged as found in my database to my GPS?

7,000 in GSAK, 5,000 in your unit.

Is there any particular reason that you wish to hoard stale data?

Caches are disabled and/or archived constantly, likewise new cache are being published at a faster rate than ever. The data you have already probably holds many that do not exist any more and not the new(er) ones.

'Tis the reason that you can run PQ's at the rate of 5/day. Holding/storing that amount data can be counter-productive. Managing it can be rather time consuming also -- as you may have already discovered.

It is a simple matter to set PQ's to repeat themselves (area-wise) weekly, dump the old data and load new. New PQ's will not include archived caches -- supposedly they aren't there to be found anyway. Any data that is a month old is stale (many consider two-weeks as stale). There is no real need to store it in GSAK, just drag-n-drop the files without bothering with GSAK. How many caches can you find in a month, at your current rate?

Old data bad :mad:

New data good :)

... just tryin' to help.

And you might want to update your PQs to exclude caches you've found.

Absolutely, eliminate found caches at the PQ level.

You might also want to only get caches that are 'available' (not archived) included in the PQ(s).

I would also suggest running the 'Status Check' function (in the 'Geocaching.com access menu) once in a while. Then you can delete Archived caches, and not upload Disabled caches to your GPS.

Sorry for the long delay guys. Anyways I don't operate by PQs because I like to be able to just pick up my GPS and go hunting with it whenever. What I do is the 'get geocaches' function in GSAK and hold a database of what is around me within 30 miles. Anyways, loading these caches into my unit produces the mass 'geocaches.gpx' file instead of ones for each individual cache. Is it too much to hope for that I can exclude my found caches and any that may be inactive at the moment from the mass file?

GSAK has a default filter > Select a saved filter > My Found Caches (GSAK Default)

Use it to find your Found caches, and either Delete them, or move them to another database - My Finds is a popular one!

You will then have only caches you have not found...

There is a macro Findable&CorrectedCaches.gsk which will filter for Find not found, available plus "solved" mysteries with corrected coordinates

Edited by Bear and Ragged