Cachers stealing caches

I would suggest going to some events. I know you don't want to, but I think you should if you want to get over this. There's no substitute for face-to-face communication. So many misunderstandings can occur over the internet. If you show your face and let them see how sad you are about your caches getting stolen, I think the word may get around that you're not such a bad person. The person responsible may feel guilty and the theft may stop. At the very least, you'll get some sympathy and feel a greater connection with your community. Also, maybe if you meet these people face to face and learn a bit more about them, you won't feel the need to be so competitive.

HAH! this would do no good. They have alienated many people in "their area". We know because we are in their area. We have had to deal with them for over 6 months of them emailing from multiple email accounts, we've had NM and even write note logs deleted because they believed that we were leaving them to harass them. Other cachers have logged DNFs on the cache that is clearly missing. We asked them to please make a maintenance run and were publicly humiliated on the cache page. It has gotten to the point where (Mind you, this is all alledged) they are watching our every move and keeping a folder and posting to facebook, all of our "rude, mean spirited, nasty" logs. The reason we know this is because it has been told to us multiple times in emails that were sent to us. And the best part to all of this is they are threatening to report us to GS with this folder of logs.

This is just our experience, others have had similar experiences, and unfortunately, it is at the point where if you mention their name at an event you get the universal response of "Don't go there!" *eyes rolling*

Other members don't not like them because they are different or more competitive, they don't like them because TSAWSF makes it a point to get involved where they are not involved.

Still, none of that would justify anyone stealing their caches.

But, so far we have no proof than any cachers have stolen the caches in question...just allegations. Of course, once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'.

^ Agree 100%

There is no justification for stealing caches. There never is. but like you said, "once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'". It is unfortunate that it happens.

You reap what you sow. We just don't have any sympathy for them, neither do other locals. This why we believe they come to the forums, to get sympathy from others who have not had the pleasure of dealing with them.

As for, to date, 90+ of our caches being STOLEN, who cares? A cache is a cache is a cache. Proof? There's no proof but seriously, would we lie? Here's what happens in our area....If you come along as a new cacher and you're 'different,' you will be ABUSED TO DEATH by the locals masses/cliques, until you can't take it anymore and you just quit. That's what happened to one particular member in our area and this member is the reason TSAWSF and SC have issues. The member in question is a friend of ours. He has certain 'disabilities' which caused issues with his caches/coordinates. Members like SC became agitated with this member and in turn created cache pages that pretty much 'attacked' this member and made fun of him. This member placed hundreds of caches in the area because basically, he longed to be popular/accepted. The locals went after his hides to rack up their points but at the same time they abused the crap out of him because his coordinates weren't perfect or his 'grammar' wasn't perfect. The SC in particular created several caches for the sole purpose of making fun of this member making comments about a 'tinfoil helmet' and a 'hamster wheel' etc...As the sister of a mentally challenged person, I will NEVER stand by and witness something like this in silence. So, as for sympathy, TeamSeek doesn't need or look for sympathy but we will stand up for and seek sympathy for those who can't/won't do so on their own. Again, don't believe everything you read or hear. If you have questions about someone, ask them directly instead of listening to and relying on nonsense you read in a forum post.

As for, to date, 90+ of our caches being STOLEN, who cares? A cache is a cache is a cache. Proof? There's no proof but seriously, would we lie? Here's what happens in our area....If you come along as a new cacher and you're 'different,' you will be ABUSED TO DEATH by the locals masses/cliques, until you can't take it anymore and you just quit. That's what happened to one particular member in our area and this member is the reason TSAWSF and SC have issues. The member in question is a friend of ours. He has certain 'disabilities' which caused issues with his caches/coordinates. Members like SC became agitated with this member and in turn created cache pages that pretty much 'attacked' this member and made fun of him. This member placed hundreds of caches in the area because basically, he longed to be popular/accepted. The locals went after his hides to rack up their points but at the same time they abused the crap out of him because his coordinates weren't perfect or his 'grammar' wasn't perfect. The SC in particular created several caches for the sole purpose of making fun of this member making comments about a 'tinfoil helmet' and a 'hamster wheel' etc...As the sister of a mentally challenged person, I will NEVER stand by and witness something like this in silence. So, as for sympathy, TeamSeek doesn't need or look for sympathy but we will stand up for and seek sympathy for those who can't/won't do so on their own. Again, don't believe everything you read or hear. If you have questions about someone, ask them directly instead of listening to and relying on nonsense you read in a forum post.

I'm glad to see you stand up against what you perceive as bullying. Kudos for that.

Did anyone reach out to this unnamed cacher and offer their assistance? Hundreds of caches with crappy coordinates is a pretty serious problem, though thankfully it is one with an easy fix, so long as someone is willing to step up to the plate. Not sure I get the tinfoil helmet and hamster wheel reference. Are those terms supposed to be insulting? I host an annual AFDB contest, and to date, no one has mentioned being offended. Should I cease & desist?

Not sure I get the tinfoil helmet and hamster wheel reference. Are those terms supposed to be insulting? I host an annual AFDB contest, and to date, no one has mentioned being offended. Should I cease & desist?

I suppose the reference was to The Most Controversial Cache Ever Posted by "we can make jokes and take them too." It seems to have quite a history of being depublished, republished, rewritten after publishing, and then archived by the reviewer.

In general, there are some jokes that probably should not be made and time might be better spent if everyone involved took a deep breath, met each other (perhaps with a moderator and format designed so that people have to listen to one another) and reached some sort of resolution. No one is probably going to get emotional satisfaction by posting in these forums or publishing caches making references to others.

But more off topic, I don't think too many people would be offended by an AFDB contest -- although I could be wrong. If more people used them, the situation described in this thread may never have happened. In any event, we all know that to be effective you have to use real tin.

Edited by geodarts

Only one side of the story here. It takes two to fight.

Very elementary school of you, like really...In life you will find it can take just one disturbed person NOT two. (Ten years as a constable showed me that fact)

There is one idiot in every car wreck, but sometimes it's 2 or more. Often the rubberneckers cause more problems than the original accident..

.....nice I'd still go with no it does not take two and no there is usual never a other side only geocachers think that way.

Edited by Off Grid

I agree that the cache write up was pretty low brow. I'm not sure it would qualify as insulting, since it doesn't mention anyone, either overtly, or covertly, as being the target for the cache owner's angst. Just a vague reference to an unnamed 'someone' who has trouble with getting good coords. I would definitely disagree with the cache name, as I only found it to be mildly controversial.

I would suggest going to some events. I know you don't want to, but I think you should if you want to get over this. There's no substitute for face-to-face communication. So many misunderstandings can occur over the internet. If you show your face and let them see how sad you are about your caches getting stolen, I think the word may get around that you're not such a bad person. The person responsible may feel guilty and the theft may stop. At the very least, you'll get some sympathy and feel a greater connection with your community. Also, maybe if you meet these people face to face and learn a bit more about them, you won't feel the need to be so competitive.

HAH! this would do no good. They have alienated many people in "their area". We know because we are in their area. We have had to deal with them for over 6 months of them emailing from multiple email accounts, we've had NM and even write note logs deleted because they believed that we were leaving them to harass them. Other cachers have logged DNFs on the cache that is clearly missing. We asked them to please make a maintenance run and were publicly humiliated on the cache page. It has gotten to the point where (Mind you, this is all alledged) they are watching our every move and keeping a folder and posting to facebook, all of our "rude, mean spirited, nasty" logs. The reason we know this is because it has been told to us multiple times in emails that were sent to us. And the best part to all of this is they are threatening to report us to GS with this folder of logs.

This is just our experience, others have had similar experiences, and unfortunately, it is at the point where if you mention their name at an event you get the universal response of "Don't go there!" *eyes rolling*

Other members don't not like them because they are different or more competitive, they don't like them because TSAWSF makes it a point to get involved where they are not involved.

Still, none of that would justify anyone stealing their caches.

But, so far we have no proof than any cachers have stolen the caches in question...just allegations. Of course, once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'.

^ Agree 100%

There is no justification for stealing caches. There never is. but like you said, "once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'". It is unfortunate that it happens.

You reap what you sow. We just don't have any sympathy for them, neither do other locals. This why we believe they come to the forums, to get sympathy from others who have not had the pleasure of dealing with them.

No it should not be obvious that if anything went wrong with my caches that it was geocachers I'd assume it was muggles because geocachers are mostly grown adults not children.if your going to resort to stealing a container that's pretty bad. I assume that Twof my caches would be muggled but mostly because no one puts it back right at all the lid or anything on one of my caches if your mad you couldn't find it in two secounds I'm sorry?

Edited by Off Grid

Not sure I get the tinfoil helmet and hamster wheel reference. Are those terms supposed to be insulting? I host an annual AFDB contest, and to date, no one has mentioned being offended. Should I cease & desist?

I suppose the reference was to The Most Controversial Cache Ever Posted by "we can make jokes and take them too." It seems to have quite a history of being depublished, republished, rewritten after publishing, and then archived by the reviewer.

In general, there are some jokes that probably should not be made and time might be better spent if everyone involved took a deep breath, met each other (perhaps with a moderator and format designed so that people have to listen to one another) and reached some sort of resolution. No one is probably going to get emotional satisfaction by posting in these forums or publishing caches making references to others.

But more off topic, I don't think too many people would be offended by an AFDB contest -- although I could be wrong. If more people used them, the situation described in this thread may never have happened. In any event, we all know that to be effective you have to use real tin.

Sounds like the whole community is dysfunctional. It's obvious that TSAWSF is not the only one that tries to use their cache descriptions as a platform for social discourse.

Generic pokes at tinfoil hat wearers is relatively benign.

However using a cache page to poke fun at someone you are not friendly with is mean spirited, and not something anyone should tolerate. Changing the description after archival and republishing only to do it again? :blink:

I am now just starting to see what exactly the OP has to deal with here. <_<

As for, to date, 90+ of our caches being STOLEN, who cares?

Someone getting angry and taking a few before cooling off is many degrees off from 90+ being missing. :o

That many denotes a serious long term obsessive compulsive mental disorder. I think you should hide things under a different account. If someone is now obsessed with you in a bad way, it could go to another level and you should immediately stop being stubborn and feeding it.

I agree that the cache write up was pretty low brow. I'm not sure it would qualify as insulting, since it doesn't mention anyone, either overtly, or covertly, as being the target for the cache owner's angst. Just a vague reference to an unnamed 'someone' who has trouble with getting good coords. I would definitely disagree with the cache name, as I only found it to be mildly controversial.

A number of years back, we had a new cacher that was finding caches that would then turn up missing by the time the next cacher came along to look. We figured that this new cacher was leaving them exposed and muggles were getting them. We could have called him out on our local forum or in archival notes for the caches, or we could have created a new listing dedicated to exposing and embarrassing him in public. Instead, a few of us got together and invited him to go on a geocaching hike, after all, we know of all the good placed to dispose of a body. Seriously, without even bringing the topic up we simply did what we always did, put the container back as we found them, brushed away the footprints, etc. There was never an issue afterwards of caches coming up missing after this cacher found them and more importantly, he has become a valued member of our community.

Something is seriously wrong when the only way anyone in the community can address a problem is to attack from the flanks.

After reading all of this post, I wasn't sure whether or not to chime in, as I'm more or less in the area. I had no idea stuff like this was going on (most of these caches are just far enough away that I haven't seen them). I'm sorry to see that there's so much bad blood, and to hear about missing caches.

I'll be holding an event in early September since people seemed to have a good time last year. TeamSeek--do please join us. Everyone I met last year was very nice, and I know a few folks from your neck of the woods attended. If you have questions or suggestions or would just like to chat, feel free to PM me.

Someone getting angry and taking a few before cooling off is many degrees off from 90+ being missing. :o

That many denotes a serious long term obsessive compulsive mental disorder. I think you should hide things under a different account. If someone is now obsessed with you in a bad way, it could go to another level and you should immediately stop being stubborn and feeding it.

Do you think that many denotes a serious long term obsessive, compulsive mental disorder? REALLY? HELLO! Since this post it's gone up to almost 200 of our caches that have been STOLEN by the same obsessive, compulsive mentals. We know exactly who it is. So what? We can't do anything about it! PLEASE STOP making it like it's our problem and we are the ones who need to change and/or conform to appease them so they stop. THAT'S ABSURD! You're blaming us, the victims. Difference is, we know EXACTLY who has stolen almost 2 HUNDRED OF OUR CACHES but guess what? We will NEVER, EVER, EVER lower ourselves and seek revenge by stealing their caches. THAT is NOT who we are. They're lucky we're not like them because if we were, they wouldn't have any caches left! We just want them to leave us alone. Don't like us? Fine. Who cares? Move on. They can't. Hide under a different account? LOL. I don't think so. Your advice is reckless at best as it suggests victims are at fault and are the ones who need to change/check themselves. That's wrong.

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

Do you think that many denotes a serious long term obsessive, compulsive mental disorder? REALLY? HELLO! Since this post it's gone up to almost 200 of our caches that have been STOLEN by the same obsessive, compulsive mentals. We know exactly who it is. So what? We can't do anything about it! PLEASE STOP making it like it's our problem and we are the ones who need to change and/or conform to appease them so they stop. THAT'S ABSURD! You're blaming us, the victims. Difference is, we know EXACTLY who has stolen almost 2 HUNDRED OF OUR CACHES but guess what? We will NEVER, EVER, EVER lower ourselves and seek revenge by stealing their caches. THAT is NOT who we are. They're lucky we're not like them because if we were, they wouldn't have any caches left! We just want them to leave us alone. Don't like us? Fine. Who cares? Move on. They can't. Hide under a different account? LOL. I don't think so. Your advice is reckless at best as it suggests victims are at fault and are the ones who need to change/check themselves. That's wrong.

If you have seriously backed away from this as all of us have suggested, and your stalker hasn't backed off, then it might be a local police issue, not a Groundspeak issue.

We can't do anything about it!

Actually, you can do something about it. You simply refuse to do so. No one is suggesting that the theft is your fault. Clearly, it is not. But when a person is faced with an ongoing, highly unpleasant experience, and they will not take simple steps to reduce the unpleasantness, it makes playing the victim card a bit harder. Perhaps the cache thief is not the only one being obsessive?

Who cares?

Judging from all your shouting, apparently, you do.

God is a swear word now?

Whilst drifting a bit off topic, I would like to offer a bit of clarification.

When I first saw the claim by our esteemed fuzzy fish, it struck me as a pretty odd interpretation of Scripture. As on ordained minister of the Church of Dudeism, I happen to have God's phone number, so I gave Her a ring to see what those in Valhala thought about this topic. Sadly, God was busy, and my plea went to voice mail. I did eventually get a reply though;

"Hey Riffster, God here. I'm okay with the expression 'OMG', whether it is used to convey praise, frustration, or a teenager's inability to speak coherently. Please tell all your friends. Thanx!"

With that issue closed, perhaps we could get back to the topic?

Now that was funny! :)

If you have seriously backed away from this as all of us have suggested, and your stalker hasn't backed off, then it might be a local police issue, not a Groundspeak issue.

We have tried to 'back away,' and ignore things and move on but the problem is, our OBSESSED LUNATIC STALKER simply won't back off and leave us alone. He's been on us for 6 YEARS now non-stop! THAT'S RIGHT, 6 YEARS! Everywhere we go, he's there. Every time we post a note on any of our 308 cache pages, he's there...always watching, waiting, commenting, following, watching, waiting, commenting, following. Bottom line is, we can't get rid of this guy, in fact, he's here right now, on this post. We've run out of ideas on how to shake him loose! This thing has been going on for so long it's at the point now where it's SICK! Let's put it this way...if he knew our last names and where we live, he would DEFINITELY be looking in our windows and pacing up and down the street in front of our house. The sheer length of time this has been going....6 YEARS... has turned what started out for him as an obsession with us, into a full blown SICK and OBSESSIVE stalking, harassing, tormenting thing. Nobody even knows half the story and obviously, we can't tell it here because, well, you know. We just want this WEIRDO to leave us alone and MOVE ON WITH HIS LIFE or attaché himself to someone else!

The following is an email we received the same evening of our last post on this thread. This is just 1 of 8 emails we received. I can't post the other 7 without editing personal information out of them and that's something I really don't want to do so I'm posting this one. We receive emails/private messages of support ALL THE TIME in reference to our forum posts. Why these members don't post their support of us publicly, here in the forums is obvious....

Edited by Keystone
to comply with forum guidelines

A game-cam to catch a video of the thief in action will help end this.

And as a long-term reader of this thread, I can say that some comments & responses are starting to repeat. :signalviolin:

By the way, in 4-wheel's comment above, he offers a plausible psychological explanation of your nemesis. You then tell 4-wheel to stop blaming the victim. He isn't - he's saying that other person is a kook. But your misread of 4-wheel suggests you see too many things as a personal attack or criticism.

Please don't come back to attack my views. If they're wrong, they're wrong. The purpose of stating them is just to get you to think. It's not blaming the victim to suggest that a six-year feud >>> may <<< involve some poor choices by the victim during those six years.

I'm done - now you can refute my views (limited value) or think about whether there might be any grain of truth there (better value).

Edited by wmpastor

Personal, I think you are handing the situation wrong.

I ran into something very similar, and I am not having any problems now. I choice to ignore and lay low. They get bored faster and forget you when you do that.

We have ignored him but how long can you ignore someone who simply will not leave you alone? Trust me, we've tried everything! Fact is, we don't bother this guy, EVER! We live like 80 miles from him. We have absolutely ZERO interest in him, who he is, what he does, his caches etc... ZERO! If he wasn't stalking us, we would TOTALLY forget he ever existed. It's only because he's STALKING us and ALWAYS in our faces that we even think about him at all. Basically, he's forcing us to notice him and THAT is 'harassment.' THAT is 'stalking.' THAT is 'tormenting.' We ARE NOT interested in him AT ALL. He is interested in us though, big time, which is why he won't leave us alone. Obviously, we have something he wants. What that something is, we don't know. We wonder...If we gave him what he wants, would he go away? That's all we want....for him to LEAVE US ALONE. He uses a feature of the site to stalk and harass us.

He's reading this. He's commented on this thread. This is from both of us.....LEAVE US ALONE! WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU! GO ON WITH YOUR LIFE PLEASE! LET US ENJOY GEOCACHING LIKE WE USED TO BEFORE YOU CAME ALONG AND SUCKED THE JOY OUT OF IT FOR US! PLEASE FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO ATTACHE YOURSELF TO! ISN'T 6 YEARS LONG ENOUGH?

A game-cam to catch a video of the thief in action will help end this.

And as a long-term reader of this thread, I can say that some comments & responses are starting to repeat. :signalviolin:

By the way, in 4-wheel's comment above, he offers a plausible psychological explanation of your nemesis. You then tell 4-wheel to stop blaming the victim. He isn't - he's saying that other person is a kook. But your misread of 4-wheel suggests you see too many things as a personal attack or criticism.

Please don't come back to attack my views. If they're wrong, they're wrong. The purpose of stating them is just to get you to think. It's not blaming the victim to suggest that a six-year feud >>> may <<< involve some poor choices by the victim during those six years.

I'm done - now you can refute my views (limited value) or think about whether there might be any grain of truth there (better value).

We TOTALLY appreciate your input and the input/advice from others however, I don't think anyone here truly understands the scope of what's happening here and what we've been dealing with. This stalking, harassment, torment etc... hasn't been going on for 6 days or 6 weeks or 6 months! It's been going on for 6 YEARS! That is a long, long time to turn the other cheek, 'lay low,' ignore it/him and 'take the high road' which is what we were told to do. This is 2013, the age of the CYBER BULLY. The age of CYBER STALKING. This 'phenomena' needs to be recognized and dealt with. Victims of these 'acts,' should not be told to....just deal with it or turn the other cheek or ignore it or lay low or change your name/address or schmooze up to your stalker/harasser/tormenter/bully and make friends so he'll leave you alone! Laws and guidelines need to be put in place to help victims who are dealing with these things. No one should be brushed off or ignored and left on their own to deal with it. The powers that be need to stand up and take notice...do something....make changes...create laws and guidelines and Terms of Use violations etc...include cyber stalking...cyber bullying...cyber harassing, invasion of privacy etc...

WE are NOT the perpetrators here! Bottom line is, if this NUT backed off and left us alone, THERE WOULD BE PEACE in our local GC community but he keeps it going! We even wrote to him several years ago and asked him to PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE and STOP using the 'certain feature of the site' to harass us. We gave him our email address AND phone number and told him to contact us so we could talk things out. Do you think he contacted us? Of course not. He reported us for 'harassing him,' and we were suspended for 45 days!

Need I go on?

Ok this sounds very serious and if it is affecting you and your family that much it may be time to ask yourself if geocaching is really that important to you. You say that he only has contact with you via the web, so cut your losses and keep it that way before he finds out how to make personal contact. This game is nowhere near as important an the safety of you or your family.

Reckless? If someone has a mental disorder and is focused on you, you need to take evasive action. I'm not blaming you, but you need to do something about it. You cannot go on and pretend like it isn't happening, because it obviously is not working. Your emotional poats filled with caps is only feeding him. Report it to the police, now. If an oncoming car steers directly towards you, are you going to pretend that they don't exist and claim to be a victim, or try to avoid it?

Wow! That was a long, interesting read…

For the first three pages it reminded me of the "American syndrome". Let me explain. The worlds view of America is poor. No one likes America and it's not really a big secret (however, my opinion is quite different. I'm from Canada and when I visit the USA I find the folks MUCH nicer than my Canadian counterparts).

What is the reason for this poor attitude towards American's? Because, American's think they're the best, smartest, best looking, most talented people in the world…which in turn breeds hate and terrorism.

By reading your initial posts, it also seems that you think you're the best, most hard working cachers in your area. OF COURSE that is going to breed hate amongst other cachers. And, like America, you refuse to change at all. Are you wrong to celebrate your greatness and work ethic? In theory, no..but it OBVIOUSLY has a negative effect on others whether you want to believe it or not.

Now that was my opinion for the first three pages.

After 6 years, and saying that the offender HAS POSTED IN THIS THREAD, why not out him? Why are you keeping this person's identity a secret? You are still trying to spare their feelings? When have they spared yours? This person is causing you untold grief. Stop being bullied and stand up for yourself! :)

(This post shouldn't be misconstrued as a plight against American's. Like I said, I think American's are FAR friendlier than the country I was born and live in. Your love for your troops is AMAZING. I wish we had the same support here)

American's think they're the best, smartest, best looking, most talented people in the world…

Actually it IS a fact that Americans are the best, smartest, most talented people in the world. As for "best looking" I refer you to www.peopleofwalmart.com

I rest my case.

I think it's vitally important that, before anything else, we take a look at the Groundspeak Terms of Use, specifically 2 terms of use, listed under 'Restrictions,' which have been ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY violated over and over and over and over by this person over the course of the past 6 years. He has CONSTANTLY and CONSISTENTLY posted THE MOST hateful, mean, slanderous, evil comments about us all over the GC.com site AND on his 'stalking/harassing site tool/feature' that he uses to, admittedly, 'monitor' us. He was made to remove those comments about 9 months ago after we saw them and became so freaking fed up, we CALLED Groundspeak! That's right! We called Groundspeak! It was the first time we ever really took action. Before that we just went on and kept dealing with him and dealing with him and dealing with him, turned the other cheek, tried to ignore him, took the high road etc...

Within 10 minutes of our phone call, his nasty, hateful, slanderous comments were removed BUT to our disgust and dismay, he was not made to remove 'his stalking tool,' because...'it wasn't violating any guidelines.' This didn't make sense because the hateful comments attached to it were removed and those comments proved the 'tool' has an agenda so it didn't make sense...remove the comments but not the 'tool.'

Afterwards, he laid low for awhile but now he's doing it again. The 'stalking tool' is still there and the slanderous/hateful comments are once again starting to accumulate. To clarify; he has admitted to others, who have in turn told us, that he uses this feature of the GC.com site...'To MONITOR TeamSeek.'

The first violated TOU that applies here is the one that follows below and where do we start with it? Over the past 6 years he has harmed us, abused us, harassed us, defamed us, embarrassed us AND, the sheer length of time that of all of the above has gone on, 6 years, has been torturous to say the least!

vii: Upload, post, transmit or otherwise distribute (including by emailing us) any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, profane, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, harmful to minors, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

The 2nd TOU is xix:

Stalk, harass, or otherwise harm another user of our services, Groundspeak employee or third party.

For the first three pages it reminded me of the "American syndrome". Let me explain. The worlds view of America is poor. No one likes America and it's not really a big secret (however, my opinion is quite different. I'm from Canada and when I visit the USA I find the folks MUCH nicer than my Canadian counterparts).

What is the reason for this poor attitude towards American's? Because, American's think they're the best, smartest, best looking, most talented people in the world…which in turn breeds hate and terrorism.

By reading your initial posts, it also seems that you think you're the best, most hard working cachers in your area. OF COURSE that is going to breed hate amongst other cachers. And, like America, you refuse to change at all. Are you wrong to celebrate your greatness and work ethic? In theory, no..but it OBVIOUSLY has a negative effect on others whether you want to believe it or not.

After 6 years, and saying that the offender HAS POSTED IN THIS THREAD, why not out him? Why are you keeping this person's identity a secret? You are still trying to spare their feelings? When have they spared yours? This person is causing you untold grief. Stop being bullied and stand up for yourself! :)

(This post shouldn't be misconstrued as a plight against American's. Like I said, I think American's are FAR friendlier than the country I was born and live in. Your love for your troops is AMAZING. I wish we had the same support here)

I LOVE this post and if I wasn't so dang tired from just getting off work, I would be posting a much better response! I'm going to address the basics now and elaborate later. First, you ask why we don't 'out him?' LOL! If we did, we would be suspended/banished from these forums for at least 30 days! Do you think this is the first time we've come to these forums looking for help with this? Of course not! This is probably the 6th, 7th, 8th, time we've been here! The last time we came here looking for help, WE ended up getting suspended from these forums! We never posted his name but we received a notice that we were suspended for 30 days for saying his name! We didn't even argue or question the suspension, as always, we just accepted the punishment and moved on.

WE CAN'T SAY HIS NAME! Are you kidding? Spare his feelings? We aren't keeping his name a secret to spare his feelings! We're keeping his name a secret to spare us from getting suspended AGAIN because of him!

Sounds like the whole community is dysfunctional. It's obvious that TSAWSF is not the only one that tries to use their cache descriptions as a platform for social discourse.

I see they've got a new cache called "Gossip is the Devil's Radio.... " :unsure:

SO WHAT? What does the title of our newest cache have to do with any of this? AGAIN, looking at, researching, studying and blaming the victims? Our cache is a tiny little rubber devil toy/character holding a radio! We epoxied a nano in his hand and stuck him inbetween bricks on the wall. 'Gossip is the Devil's Radio,' is a George Harrison song! The little character holding the nano cache inspired the title! What is your point?

Also, anytime we come here to the forums looking for help or advice concerning our situation with this person, he REMOVES HIS LITTLE STALKING TOOL THING and makes it private until things die down. THEN he puts it all back. Obviously he doesn't want the GC community at large seeing 'his stuff!!' He monitors his 'stalking tool,' like most people monitor their bank accounts. He's here right now reading this. He's not stupid! He knows when it's time to hide things.

I LOVE this post and if I wasn't so dang tired from just getting off work, I would be posting a much better response! I'm going to address the basics now and elaborate later. First, you ask why we don't 'out him?' LOL! If we did, we would be suspended/banished from these forums for at least 30 days! Do you think this is the first time we've come to these forums looking for help with this? Of course not! This is probably the 6th, 7th, 8th, time we've been here! The last time we came here looking for help, WE ended up getting suspended from these forums! We never posted his name but we received a notice that we were suspended for 30 days for saying his name! We didn't even argue or question the suspension, as always, we just accepted the punishment and moved on.

WE CAN'T SAY HIS NAME! Are you kidding? Spare his feelings? We aren't keeping his name a secret to spare his feelings! We're keeping his name a secret to spare us from getting suspended AGAIN because of him!

So, on top of everything else, you suffer from a persecution complex as well?

BTW, I was eating when I read your last post were you stated that you have taken the high road. I almost choked to death.

You have what? A dozen archived caches where you changed the description and specifically called out the bad habits of your local cachers. You are not a victim, but an active participant in all of this lunacy. It is clear that you have a lot of bad actors in your geocaching community, and it is also clear that you go out of your way to egg them on. Why you continue to come here and play the victim is baffling.

Now, I'm going to repeat what I said the other day. If what you say is true, it is an issue for the police, or if in fact a true case of Internet stalking, the FBI. If this person is committing crimes against you, why would you expect a resolution from the Groundspeak Forums?

Edited by Don_J

I see they've got a new cache called "Gossip is the Devil's Radio.... " :unsure:

SO WHAT? What does the title of our newest cache have to do with any of this? AGAIN, looking at, researching, studying and blaming the victims? Our cache is a tiny little rubber devil toy/character holding a radio! We epoxied a nano in his hand and stuck him inbetween bricks on the wall. 'Gossip is the Devil's Radio,' is a George Harrison song! The little character holding the nano cache inspired the title! What is your point?

Also, anytime we come here to the forums looking for help or advice concerning our situation with this person, he REMOVES HIS LITTLE STALKING TOOL THING and makes it private until things die down. THEN he puts it all back. Obviously he doesn't want the GC community at large seeing 'his stuff!!' He monitors his 'stalking tool,' like most people monitor their bank accounts. He's here right now reading this. He's not stupid! He knows when it's time to hide things.

OMG! Break out you tin foil hats, everyone.

OMG! Break out you tin foil hats, everyone.

I hope this cache description above is not a spoiler! The hide is unfound & if I can get a cheap flight to Chicago, I might try for the FTF. :laughing:

As for the title, it has other possible interpretations also, especially since gossip is apparently a major problem in the small towns west of Chicago. It's downright devilish!

What is the stalking tool referred to?

They're sleeping!!

Chill! I'm not peering in the window. It's nighttime, & it's been hours with no reply. (Well, okay, 31 minutes....)

8:45 AM EST (7:45 CST) update: The sun has risen. The Midwestern feud is 6 yrs. old & the thread is nearing 1 yr. old. Can we make progress today??? > sigh < I'm not so very hopeful - please prove me wrong.

:signalviolin:

Edited by wmpastor

The forums are never a place to resolve personal problems or to get emotional satisfaction. I realize how frustrating it would be to face a situation that has seemingly spiraled out of control. But nothing we say here will make a difference one way or the other and there are no magic answers.

Have you sought the help of others in your area? A person who has taken 200 caches has gone beyond a personal conflict and it should concern anyone in the area. Obviously any attempt to mediate would only work if both you and the other person are prepared to listen - to understand how this situation started and where each of you are today. I am not sure that either of you would want to do that. Still the loss of 200 caches raises a problem for the community as a whole - for people who might want to find your caches - and perhaps the community can try to define boundaries and expectations.

Have you continued to bring the matter to Groundspeak's attention? I know you called them once and it seemed to help for a while. But if someone is still violating the TOU, then that is a problem that should be discussed at that level. I would be careful to present any complaints in a factual manner rather than an emotional one. I would document what is happening, why I know who is doing it, and provide as much information as possible.

Others have suggested calling the police. I am not sure how much interest there would be from that end, or whether a court would issue a restraining order, unless things escalated beyond the confines of this game. But if it got to the point where I felt that matters reached new levels, then that might be considered.

If the game has gotten to the point where the fun has been sucked dry, I also might think about other things to do. I would grouse to my friends about the people who cache, use an alternative listing service if the TOU here is not working, take up letterboxing, or find something else to do. I would also try to understand my own role in what happened. This is not to blame the victim, but to know why I got myself into that situation.

I would also try to understand my own role in what happened. This is not to blame the victim, but to know why I got myself into that situation.

This is the perspective that I have always had with this thread and the prior ones. The OP does not seem to understand that they do have a role in the situation.

I would also try to understand my own role in what happened. This is not to blame the victim, but to know why I got myself into that situation.

This is the perspective that I have always had with this thread and the prior ones. The OP does not seem to understand that they do have a role in the situation.

Every time one of these threads pop up, I am reminded of an incident in which I was victimized in Korea. Having drunk myself stupid, I thought it would be height of wittiness to walk into a bar full of US Marines, and make a wildly, drastically inappropriate comment about their hair styles. Several of the Marines expressed their displeasure toward my comment, using their fists. If memory serves, I woke up in the clinic a couple days later.

Does a snarky comment warrant a beat down? Of course not.

Did my actions play a significant role in my beat down? Absolutely.

However using a cache page to poke fun at someone you are not friendly with is mean spirited, and not something anyone should tolerate. Changing the description after archival and republishing only to do it again? :blink:

Is anyone else not surprised that the DGS is connected to this mess?

Yikes! The OP is seemingly being harrassed by the same Dirtbag Geocaching Society member who got the other thread stirred up. :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

Yikes! The OP is seemingly being harrassed by the same Dirtbag Geocaching Society member who got the other thread stirred up. :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

There was this other time, last year, when our stalker sought out a friend of ours and volunteered to help him with a Boy Scout event he was hosting. Our friend welcomed the help. Our friend wrote to us the day after the event and told us that as soon as everybody left, our stalker IMMEDIATELY pulled him aside and started gossiping about us and trying to get our friend to join him in the gossip. Our friend told him right to his face he was not interested in gossiping about anyone and he walked away leaving the stalker standing there.

After that, we no longer EVER mention who our friends are because we DO NOT want them to become this creep's newest victims. He somehow found out who another of our friends is and he added all of their caches to his stalking tool and started posting hateful notes on their cache pages.

So now we NEVER post publicly who our friends are. THAT is how bad it is.

Is anyone else not surprised that we've hopped back onto the "Bash the group for the actions of the individual" bandwagon? Wouldn't it be more in line with the ToU to debate the merits of individual actions, as opposed to bashing any groups that individual happens to belong to?

Are you suggesting that the owner of the linked cache is the stalker TSAWSF is complaining about? If so, do you have any evidence to support such an allegation?

Edited by Clan Riffster

I was going to stay away from this. however, there is more to this one sided story.

I know of whom she speaks (the individual living 80 miles south of both the OP and ourselves), and while the accused individual and I have parted ways as "friends", it was over something entirely unrelated to both this issue and geocaching. I wish the individual would make a comment since their integrity on this matter is above reproach.

For the record, the tool of which the OP speaks is the Bookmark List. Many, if not most in the area, have bookmarked the OPs caches either through the ignore list or standard bookmark tools. It is easier to use to avoid this kind of drama, to which now I suppose I am contributing.

Below are similar threads to this one, including one I started, that may or may not help put things in perspective.

Rest of the Story pt1

Rest of the story pt2

Rest of the story pt3

Edited by baloo&bd

I was going to stay away from this. however, there is more to this one sided story.

I know of whom she speaks (the individual living 80 miles south of both the OP and ourselves), and while the accused individual and I have parted ways as "friends", it was over something entirely unrelated to both this issue and geocaching. I wish the individual would make a comment since their integrity on this matter is above reproach.

For the record, the tool of which the OP speaks is the Bookmark List. Many, if not most in the area, have bookmarked the OPs caches either through the ignore list or standard bookmark tools. It is easier to use to avoid this kind of drama, to which now I suppose I am contributing.

To stay out of the audit log you mean? I did look at a couple of caches to see how many bookmark lists they were on. Showing up in the audit log in the process, of course. It wasn't me, I was hacked, I tell you. :ph34r: