Cachers stealing caches

Only one side of the story here. It takes two to fight.

Very elementary school of you, like really...In life you will find it can take just one disturbed person NOT two. (Ten years as a constable showed me that fact)

There is one idiot in every car wreck, but sometimes it's 2 or more. Often the rubberneckers cause more problems than the original accident..

Very elementary school of you, like really...In life you will find it can take just one disturbed person NOT two. (Ten years as a constable showed me that fact)

You are correct but in this case, from what has been stated, there seems to be more to it.

Someone doesn't like Team Seek. The reason may be that they are doing something geocaching related which doesn't sit well with the other person(s). From Team Seek's own reply, they are very competitive. Myself, i don't see this as being an issue but seeing some of the responses in this very thread, it can indeed be for others.

I forget the exact words, but Team Seek did reply earlier that they are "different" from most cachers in the area. Not sure what that might imply so i'm just throwing a couple of things out. Depending on the area they live, it could have something to do with religion, race, or an uncommon lifestyle choice that they have made. For example, there is a town near to us that used to be somewhat intolerant of anyone that wasn't light skinned. Things are changing of course but there's no doubt that some of the old timers have that same way of thinking. Some communities, for the most part, may be of a certain religion i suppose, and think that their's is the only one that people should practice. Same thing for lifestyle such as being gay. Many of the people, geocachers included, who reside in their area may be intolerant of one of these and for what ever reason, think it doesn't belong in their town. It could possibly be something else as well.

Again, none of these should be an issue, especially when it comes to geocaching, but,, who knows! You can bet your sweet bippy that there are some people who are fanatical about these things.

Just the fact that you asked that question means a lot. The answer is deep and it's complex. We are not part of the big social circle in our area. We don't attend events. We don't cache in groups. We are not friends with lots of other cachers but that is not to say we are not friendly when we meet other cachers because we are, and always will be. We are pretty much 'lone cachers,' who enjoy geocaching on our own as a team of 2. We are very competetive and wish geocaching in our area was more competetive but because it's not, I guess you could say that we try our best to make the game more competetive in our area. For example; we hit the trails at 4am 2 weeks ago and nabbed 40 FTFs on caches placed for a local event. We hit the trails at 4am, hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and got 40 FTFs. We didn't do anything wrong or anything that violated guidelines etc.... we play the game the way it stimulates us the most like everybody else does but because we're the minority, we're hated for the way we play. That's just one small example of what makes us different....

so the event people placed all the caches and they were published early that morning for the event that day. You went and got FTF on all of them before anyone was even awake and didn't attend the event later that day? did I read that right? can you provide the GC code to one of these 40 caches?

The caches were published 2 days before the event. Open for everyone to hunt! Yes, we hit the trail at 4am and hiked 5.5 miles in the dark and the rain for 27 FTFs. IT WAS BRUTAL! We worked for it! We got the other 13 PNG FTFs on the way home after we hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and yes, while everyone else was sleeping and no, we didn't attend the event.

In reality they didn't do anything wrong. If event attendees want to wait for the event to find the geocaches, then that's their prerogative. But they were published 2 days before, quite a few people could have hunted them out before the event.

I will post these guidelines:

Geocache Permanence

Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

In my mind, the caches were not "published early" and the event shouldn't have been published.

I wanted to do a big multi-cache and have it published as I was holding an event in the area. But that was a no go. So I changed my event and my multi, and still working on the multi.

You are correct but in this case, from what has been stated, there seems to be more to it.

Someone doesn't like Team Seek. The reason may be that they are doing something geocaching related which doesn't sit well with the other person(s). From Team Seek's own reply, they are very competitive. Myself, i don't see this as being an issue but seeing some of the responses in this very thread, it can indeed be for others.

I forget the exact words, but Team Seek did reply earlier that they are "different" from most cachers in the area. Not sure what that might imply so i'm just throwing a couple of things out. Depending on the area they live, it could have something to do with religion, race, or an uncommon lifestyle choice that they have made. For example, there is a town near to us that used to be somewhat intolerant of anyone that wasn't light skinned. Things are changing of course but there's no doubt that some of the old timers have that same way of thinking. Some communities, for the most part, may be of a certain religion i suppose, and think that their's is the only one that people should practice. Same thing for lifestyle such as being gay. Many of the people, geocachers included, who reside in their area may be intolerant of one of these and for what ever reason, think it doesn't belong in their town. It could possibly be something else as well.

Again, none of these should be an issue, especially when it comes to geocaching, but,, who knows! You can bet your sweet bippy that there are some people who are fanatical about these things.

Please, it's clearly obvious that it is their behavior that is the root of the issue. They simply do not play well with others. They call the other cachers in their area Liars, cheats and snakes on their cache descriptions. They archive their caches because they don't like that people didn't find it in the way that they intended and then call those people out in the archive logs. In one of these replies I asked how many found logs they had deleted off or their caches, crickets. I remember a thread about a narrow bridge with cars whizzing by that they were at odds with the community over, and I remember another thread about a magnet cache 15 feet up a light pole that they were fighting with others about being wheelchair friendly, or not. They obviously have a world view that everything they do is right and everything that everyone else does is wrong and that the world must change to meet their standards. If anything, they are the discriminators, not the other way around.

Of course, nothing that they do is justification for stealing caches.

Please, it's clearly obvious that it is their behavior that is the root of the issue. They simply do not play well with others. They call the other cachers in their area Liars, cheats and snakes on their cache descriptions. They archive their caches because they don't like that people didn't find it in the way that they intended and then call those people out in the archive logs. In one of these replies I asked how many found logs they had deleted off or their caches, crickets. I remember a thread about a narrow bridge with cars whizzing by that they were at odds with the community over, and I remember another thread about a magnet cache 15 feet up a light pole that they were fighting with others about being wheelchair friendly, or not. They obviously have a world view that everything they do is right and everything that everyone else does is wrong and that the world must change to meet their standards. If anything, they are the discriminators, not the other way around.

Of course, nothing that they do is justification for stealing caches.

Thank you. That about covers it. I have found this thread to be the most interesting I've ever read here. Like "Fight Club" and "Beautiful Mind", mental illness and behavior disorders intrigue me.

No excuse for stealing other people's caches. However, I checked on the park hours where many of these FTF mentioned here were at and the park is only open from dawn to dusk, but the OP was out there looking for caches at 4 am in the morning. Folks, the FTF stuff is fine, but when we are breaking the law/trespassing/disrespecting park rules, then it becomes a problem. Doing such things will irk many geocachers and lead to places banning geocaching. Thus, I suspect that's why they got some negative reaction from their local cachers.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC44031 - is an example, there are others.

Don't be fooled by teamseek's uncanny ability to attract negative attention.

We have had dealings with them over things that were not even remotely related to them. Oh, this is not an isolated incident either. Others have also had the unfortunate luck of having to deal with them.

This is my 2¢ on the subject.

No excuse for stealing other people's caches. However, I checked on the park hours where many of these FTF mentioned here were at and the park is only open from dawn to dusk, but the OP was out there looking for caches at 4 am in the morning. Folks, the FTF stuff is fine, but when we are breaking the law/trespassing/disrespecting park rules, then it becomes a problem. Doing such things will irk many geocachers and lead to places banning geocaching. Thus, I suspect that's why they got some negative reaction from their local cachers.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC44031 - is an example, there are others.

Not sure if this is the best example as their log seems to suggest that they were at this park at sunrise. They comment specifically about this so the archive of the cache may have been through other cachers breaking the rules.

Don't be fooled by teamseek's uncanny ability to attract negative attention.

We have had dealings with them over things that were not even remotely related to them. Oh, this is not an isolated incident either. Others have also had the unfortunate luck of having to deal with them.

This is my 2¢ on the subject.

Its always good to hear other peoples side of the story. Team Seek seem to have given their side (which seemed to worsen their position considerably) so your other 98c could be interesting to hear.

I would suggest going to some events. I know you don't want to, but I think you should if you want to get over this. There's no substitute for face-to-face communication. So many misunderstandings can occur over the internet. If you show your face and let them see how sad you are about your caches getting stolen, I think the word may get around that you're not such a bad person. The person responsible may feel guilty and the theft may stop. At the very least, you'll get some sympathy and feel a greater connection with your community. Also, maybe if you meet these people face to face and learn a bit more about them, you won't feel the need to be so competitive.

HAH! this would do no good. They have alienated many people in "their area". We know because we are in their area. We have had to deal with them for over 6 months of them emailing from multiple email accounts, we've had NM and even write note logs deleted because they believed that we were leaving them to harass them. Other cachers have logged DNFs on the cache that is clearly missing. We asked them to please make a maintenance run and were publicly humiliated on the cache page. It has gotten to the point where (Mind you, this is all alledged) they are watching our every move and keeping a folder and posting to facebook, all of our "rude, mean spirited, nasty" logs. The reason we know this is because it has been told to us multiple times in emails that were sent to us. And the best part to all of this is they are threatening to report us to GS with this folder of logs.

This is just our experience, others have had similar experiences, and unfortunately, it is at the point where if you mention their name at an event you get the universal response of "Don't go there!" *eyes rolling*

Other members don't not like them because they are different or more competitive, they don't like them because TSAWSF makes it a point to get involved where they are not involved.

I would suggest going to some events. I know you don't want to, but I think you should if you want to get over this. There's no substitute for face-to-face communication. So many misunderstandings can occur over the internet. If you show your face and let them see how sad you are about your caches getting stolen, I think the word may get around that you're not such a bad person. The person responsible may feel guilty and the theft may stop. At the very least, you'll get some sympathy and feel a greater connection with your community. Also, maybe if you meet these people face to face and learn a bit more about them, you won't feel the need to be so competitive.

HAH! this would do no good. They have alienated many people in "their area". We know because we are in their area. We have had to deal with them for over 6 months of them emailing from multiple email accounts, we've had NM and even write note logs deleted because they believed that we were leaving them to harass them. Other cachers have logged DNFs on the cache that is clearly missing. We asked them to please make a maintenance run and were publicly humiliated on the cache page. It has gotten to the point where (Mind you, this is all alledged) they are watching our every move and keeping a folder and posting to facebook, all of our "rude, mean spirited, nasty" logs. The reason we know this is because it has been told to us multiple times in emails that were sent to us. And the best part to all of this is they are threatening to report us to GS with this folder of logs.

This is just our experience, others have had similar experiences, and unfortunately, it is at the point where if you mention their name at an event you get the universal response of "Don't go there!" *eyes rolling*

Other members don't not like them because they are different or more competitive, they don't like them because TSAWSF makes it a point to get involved where they are not involved.

Still, none of that would justify anyone stealing their caches.

But, so far we have no proof than any cachers have stolen the caches in question...just allegations. Of course, once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'.

But, so far we have no proof than any cachers have stolen the caches in question...just allegations. Of course, once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'.

^ Agree 100%

There is no justification for stealing caches. There never is. but like you said, "once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'". It is unfortunate that it happens.

You reap what you sow. We just don't have any sympathy for them, neither do other locals. This why we believe they come to the forums, to get sympathy from others who have not had the pleasure of dealing with them.

^ Agree 100%

There is no justification for stealing caches. There never is. but like you said, "once you have rubbed enough folks in your community the wrong way (and you know it), it's 'pretty obvious' that anything that goes wrong with your caches is because 'they are out to get you'". It is unfortunate that it happens.

You reap what you sow. We just don't have any sympathy for them, neither do other locals. This why we believe they come to the forums, to get sympathy from others who have not had the pleasure of dealing with them.

LOL. All I can say is, Geocachers of the world, don't believe everything you read! We have seen certain members totally make fun of other members with disabilities, for example; creating caches bashing that member and in the cache page description posting statements like 'his coords are so bad he must've been wearing a tinfoil helmet!' and then posting a hint that's misspelled or written using poor grammar stating 'So and so made me do it,' thus making fun of that members ability or inability to spell. THAT is why we contacted SC! The 'issues' between TS and SC is SO FAR BEYOND what has been posted here it's not even funny. OMG! It's SHOCKING to me how often people believe nonsense!

^ Agree 100%

First of all, TeamSeek would NEVER seek out 'sympathy.' It's not something we need. LOL. We only come here to the worldwide GC forums in search of cachers like us. Nothing more. Nothing less. Currently, we know of 81 of our owned caches that have been stolen. That's a rough number because many of these caches have been replaced and re-stolen. Do the math. Why do local cachers steal our caches? I could lay it out for you here but do I really have to? Just today we performed maintenance on one of our cemetery caches where we knew there was a 'throw down.' What did we find? The throw-down was one of our stolen PNGs! We go on. They can steal ALL of our caches and it still wouldn't break our spirit. I discovered Geocaching at a time in my life where I had nothing. My mom had just died after a year long battle with cancer. I HAD NOTHING IN MY LIFE except grief. Geocaching gave me something else to focus on besides the grief.

LOL. All I can say is, Geocachers of the world, don't believe everything you read! We have seen certain members totally make fun of other members with disabilities, for example; creating caches bashing that member and in the cache page description posting statements like 'his coords are so bad he must've been wearing a tinfoil helmet!' and then posting a hint that's misspelled or written using poor grammar stating 'So and so made me do it,' thus making fun of that members ability or inability to spell. THAT is why we contacted SC! The 'issues' between TS and SC is SO FAR BEYOND what has been posted here it's not even funny. OMG! It's SHOCKING to me how often people believe nonsense!

And, yet, you use profanity in your post! "Oh My God!" Taking your God's name in vain You get no sympathy from me.

And, yet, you use profanity in your post! "Oh My God!" Taking your God's name in vain You get no sympathy from me.

Harry, is that why I get no sympathy from you either ?+

To the OP, perhaps a cooling off period would be appropriate, go out cache and do you own thing, stop engaging , stop the thought process that makes you think that you need to have the last word. Start now.

Edited by Packanack

The actual quote is "OMG!" which also means 'Oh My Gosh!' or 'Oh My Goodness!'. This isn't a place to express your religious views, please keep them to yourself.

Edited by Groddle

Geocachers don't steal caches, cache thieves steal geocaches. Geocachers leave caches behind for others to find.

+1

Reminds of an old thread in a flyfishing usenet group started by someone that was bashing bait fishermen after discovering beer cans, used worm containers and other litter along the lake shore. It was pointed out that bait fisherman didn't cause litter, but it was cause by people who litter that also happen to like to fish.

The actual quote is "OMG!" which also means 'Oh My Gosh!' or 'Oh My Goodness!'. This isn't a place to express your religious views, please keep them to yourself.

Profanity is profanity. And should not be pernitted in a family-friendly discussion area. We all know what it stands for. Use all the euphemisms you want. It is still profane.

Profanity is profanity. And should not be pernitted in a family-friendly discussion area. We all know what it stands for. Use all the euphemisms you want. It is still profane.

Who's the Moderator here? And what does he or she say? Because we all should know whether "OMG" is okay to say or if it is a naughty no-no.

This issue raised in this forum has troubled the OP for years. Therefore it is quite believable that the final statement above is literally a prayer to God for deliverance from the hounding, thievery, harassment, etc. If that's the case, then it wouldn't be "taking God's name in vain," or swearing, now would it?!

Seriously? I walked outside this morning and thought, "Oh my God, thank you for such a glorious day". Here I thought I was being grateful, but according to you, I'm cussing Him out? It's cool though, luckily I don't have to be judged by you on my final day here. I'm pretty confident that He knew exactly what I meant.

So you would object if I used "Crumbs!" as an expression of surprise?

I wonder how many people realise that it is profanity too.

God is a swear word now?

Actually, the use of Oh, My God must be read in context. If someone is using it as in the context of prayer it would not be profane, if however one is using it in the context of putting soneone down or criticizing something as being silly or stupid, it is profane. You need to look to the original conceptualization of what profane was, it was a desecration.

When you use a term such as "crumbs" you are not descrating anything and therefore it is not profane.

We are a society that has lost the art of precise language choices. Which can be seen by the number of times a teenager uses the universal adjective in a 3 minute span.

But we are straying from the point of trying to find a workable solution for the OP.

Edited by Packanack

The phrases "Oh my goodness" and "Oh my gosh" are not profane and are used in rated G movies. "Oh my God" is not necessarily profane either, depending on context. Being rather judgmental, are we? :rolleyes:

In regards to the original post, Theft of hides is bad mmmkay?

But this thread has derailed at the OP's hand. Their competitive nature

has spilled over into basic online conversation and it seems they only

see "the prize" at the end.

Even when posting the initial post, in their minds they would "win".

Of course it could be any one or two of many things:

-Convincing people of their plight.

-Gaining sympathy

-Confirming their position as victims

-Outing their aggressors

-Looking for validation

It just seems that they ARE winning, but they are the only ones in the race. So, in effect, they will both come in first and last.

Edited by Rabid_Dingo

God is a swear word now?

Actually, the use of Oh, My God must be read in context. If someone is using it as in the context of prayer it would not be profane, if however one is using it in the context of putting soneone down or criticizing something as being silly or stupid, it is profane. You need to look to the original conceptualization of what profane was, it was a desecration.

When you use a term such as "crumbs" you are not descrating anything and therefore it is not profane.

We are a society that has lost the art of precise language choices. Which can be seen by the number of times a teenager uses the universal adjective in a 3 minute span.

But we are straying from the point of trying to find a workable solution for the OP.

The OP has been given his solution on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, he will never accept it as it involves the idea that he has some part in this and in many cases, may possibly be wrong. The fact that he had to have the last word, to the point of bumping a thread that had been dead for two months, is a perfect illustration of the problem.

As far as the God thing, the OP apparently thinks that this is who he is, so he obviously wasn't being profane.

Sorry to persist with being OT, but my point about "Crumbs!" is that it is a euphemism for "Christ!", but few would realise this.

I was trying to show how silly this OT discussion had become.

My point was clearly not well put.

We are a society that has lost the art of precise language choices.

When was society's use of language so precise, & when was this supposedly "lost"?? I'm speaking of the language of "the man in the street," not Wm. Shakespeare. I think the average teenager today is infinitely more astute than the average teenager in 1600.

Point 2. OMG, we solved the origial problems of this forum months ago! There, I said it, & lightning did not strike me down!

We are a society that has lost the art of precise language choices.

When was society's use of language so precise, & when was this supposedly "lost"?? I'm speaking of the language of "the man in the street," not Wm. Shakespeare. I think the average teenager today is infinitely more astute than the average teenager in 1600.

It was lost during the Norman conquest of England in 1066 when Old English was replaced with Middle English. Middle English was lost when the printing press was introduced in 1470. By Shakespeare's time in the late 1500s, it had already been ruined a few times. Modern German is the closest you can get to Old English, but since they write a bunch of couch potato logs, who can take them seriously? :D

Point 2. OMG, we solved the origial problems of this forum months ago! There, I said it, & lightning did not strike me down!

All that is needed is a hidden game camera, and YouTube video of the perpetrators. :anibad:

I am late in joining this deteriorating discussion, but would like to add this for the CO:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein (and AA).

... or, put another way: If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got.

There have been some good ideas posted here. Try some.

Didn't want to start a separate thread for this, but a local cache near a war memorial was found on Anzac Day,yesterday, filled with sheep droppings and a log with comments too rude to reproduce here; and was disabled as a result. My own description of the culprits responsible would be equally non-child friendly.

God is a swear word now?

Whilst drifting a bit off topic, I would like to offer a bit of clarification.

When I first saw the claim by our esteemed fuzzy fish, it struck me as a pretty odd interpretation of Scripture. As on ordained minister of the Church of Dudeism, I happen to have God's phone number, so I gave Her a ring to see what those in Valhala thought about this topic. Sadly, God was busy, and my plea went to voice mail. I did eventually get a reply though;

"Hey Riffster, God here. I'm okay with the expression 'OMG', whether it is used to convey praise, frustration, or a teenager's inability to speak coherently. Please tell all your friends. Thanx!"

With that issue closed, perhaps we could get back to the topic?

Here's another excerpt from your log on GC41T7E

By the time we got back to our vehicle we were soaked and full of mud but we decided to see if we could grab a few more FTFs. Got 13 more before the area was invaded by other cachers also out on quests for FTFs.

ok so 27 on that one trail and then 13 somewhere else in the area. no offence, but saying that the area was invaded by other cachers on quests for FTF's after you just snagged them all comes off as a little smug especially when the other cachers were attending the event, no?

First of all, we didn't 'snag them all.' We (hard) EARNED 40 FTFs. There were 62 event caches published 2 DAYS before the event took place. EVERY CACHER IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA had the EXACT same opportunity to got after the FTFs!

all these posts were interesting..

If everyone had a chance and they happened to take the ftfs big deal if its true and everyone had an email than that sucks for them.next time go get them :P

God is a swear word now?

When I first saw the claim by our esteemed fuzzy fish, it struck me as a pretty odd interpretation of Scripture. As on ordained minister of the Church of Dudeism, I happen to have God's phone number, so I gave Her a ring to see what those in Valhala thought about this topic. Sadly, God was busy, and my plea went to voice mail. I did eventually get a reply though;

"Hey Riffster, God here. I'm okay with the expression 'OMG', whether it is used to convey praise, frustration, or a teenager's inability to speak coherently. Please tell all your friends. Thanx!"

No. No we can not get back to the topic. ;)

The reason is that ANY further comment will be redundant. Read the entire series of posts & you will agree. EVERYTHING has already been said.

God is a swear word now?

No. No we can not get back to the topic. ;)

The reason is that ANY further comment will be redundant. Read the entire series of posts & you will agree. EVERYTHING has already been said.

Nope, not everything. I have no doubt that there is more to this than has been told. If more comes out, then more non redundant replies can be made.

Flying Spaghetti Monster, Harry, give it a rest.

Sorry to here about it! I cant imagine even a cacher would take the time to steal that many caches from lamp posts. Maybe ammo cans or something but think they would get board and cost them to much gas to drive around to steal film cans and altoid containers. I would say maybe they just went missing for other reasons but that is to many. Must be someone against geocaching in the area who has to much time on there hands. Hope you all can get it figured out as I know we would get discouraged.

-WarNinjas

In this world it takes all types. It could have been someone with a territorial issue. Or they don't care for Lampost hides. Maybe they are just jealous. When I started at some of the Regional and State parks a lot were going missing. We all thought it was another cacher when in fact it was the park rangers taking any that violated their guidelines.