Cachers stealing caches

We are about to archive 9 PMO caches in our LPC series. These 9 caches are just the latest in a rash of our caches that have been stolen by other PM cachers. Other cachers have come along and tried to help by going out of their way to replace the stolen caches only to have their replacements go missing a day later!

2 summers ago, when our LPC series had only 25 caches in it, ALL 25 WERE STOLEN in one afternoon in a 50 mile radius!

In the past year we have had 71 caches stolen including 14 ammo cans.

It's not even about the stolen caches or replacing the stolen caches, it's about dealing with the fact that other members are stealing our caches.

That's the painful part.

Replacing them is the easy part.

I guess what we're looking for by coming forward with this is advice from others on HOW can we best get over the hurt that we feel?

Honestly, when I place a cache I expect that it will disappear. I have backups and am surprised that I havent needed them as much as I thought I would.

You could remind yourself that this is just a game.

You could happily go replace the cache (as you do) and cheerfully look forward to the next find log.

You could also recite the Serenity Prayer.

Edited by simpjkee

Sorry to here about it! I cant imagine even a cacher would take the time to steal that many caches from lamp posts. Maybe ammo cans or something but think they would get board and cost them to much gas to drive around to steal film cans and altoid containers. I would say maybe they just went missing for other reasons but that is to many. Must be someone against geocaching in the area who has to much time on there hands. Hope you all can get it figured out as I know we would get discouraged.

-WarNinjas

You're not alone in experiencing that. It's crappy when it happens.

Can you share your experience? I guess we feel like if maybe we're not alone it will be easier to deal with? That sounds a bit selfish because we don't want anyone else to experience having their caches stolen by another cacher(s) but it would be 'comforting' in a weird way to know that there are others out there who can relate to what it feels like to know that your caches are being stolen by other geocachers.

This wont help you with your problem but might cheer you up, whenever I deal with a customer that's an a** I smile, if fact the bigger the a** the more I smile because I do know one thing, I may have to deal with this person for a bit but he/she has to live with themselves forever.

Of course I always feel sorry for their partner if they come in with one.

I've had caches go missing, but only one that I know of that was stolen by a fellow geocacher. I've also had cache containers broken repeatedly by fellow cachers. I didn't mind it too much to be honest. I like to maintain my caches just as much as I like to find other caches. I went out and replaced it the next day and that was that. A job well done and I got to post an owner maintanence log. B)

This wont help you with your problem but might cheer you up, whenever I deal with a customer that's an a** I smile, if fact the bigger the a** the more I smile because I do know one thing, I may have to deal with this person for a bit but he/she has to live with themselves forever.

Your words did cheer me up! Thank you! I feel like, in the game, everybody doesn't like everybody, that's life. No big deal. We know who's stealing our caches. Does it make us angry? Of course! Are we going to, in our anger, go out and steal their caches? Never! That's the difference and that's where the frustration comes in. You wanna 'fight back' but it's not who you are to do things like this so you search yourself for ways to deal with it. We are all human and so our first instinct is to 'do unto others...' but that's not TeamSeek. I hope that if you are experiencing the same thing we are, you will do what we have done and that is, basically nothing, EXCEPT go on an continue to enjoy the game and keep placing caches that you know others will enjoy. That's what we're going to do! Keep doing good and follow your heart and you will NEVER go wrong!

Your words did cheer me up! Thank you! I feel like, in the game, everybody doesn't like everybody, that's life. No big deal. We know who's stealing our caches. Does it make us angry? Of course! Are we going to, in our anger, go out and steal their caches? Never! That's the difference and that's where the frustration comes in. You wanna 'fight back' but it's not who you are to do things like this so you search yourself for ways to deal with it. We are all human and so our first instinct is to 'do unto others...' but that's not TeamSeek. I hope that if you are experiencing the same thing we are, you will do what we have done and that is, basically nothing, EXCEPT go on an continue to enjoy the game and keep placing caches that you know others will enjoy. That's what we're going to do! Keep doing good and follow your heart and you will NEVER go wrong!

Glad I could help, I make a lot of people smile on these forums :lol:

You should never think of doing it to others because it happened to you! We had worse to ours. A cacher who called himself the rain of terror. We placed a large cache and he pee'ed and pooped in it. Worse then steeling it in our opinion. If you keep replacing it they will get board of taking it. I know it sucks. We replaced ours with a toilet seat to mess with him. Now we replaced it with a micro.

Being PMOs, i guess you have an idea of who is stealing them. You should let gc.com know if that's the case.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with a cache magget...

Course, as has been said before, folks can get coordinates of caches without even going to the cache page, so how would that help if someone is smart enough to know better. Would hate to be someone falsely assumed was the culprit.

Being PMOs, i guess you have an idea of who is stealing them. You should let gc.com know if that's the case.

Course, as has been said before, folks can get coordinates of caches without even going to the cache page, so how would that help if someone is smart enough to know better. Would hate to be someone falsely assumed was the culprit.

I understand that but i did get the feeling, from the TeamSeek's first post, that they knew who the culprit was.

You should never think of doing it to others because it happened to you! We had worse to ours. A cacher who called himself the rain of terror. We placed a large cache and he pee'ed and pooped in it. Worse then steeling it in our opinion. If you keep replacing it they will get board of taking it. I know it sucks. We replaced ours with a toilet seat to mess with him. Now we replaced it with a micro.

I agree with you! Do unto others IS NOT the right route to take but you must feel, as we do, that just for A MOMENT, you wish that you could be like them. Then that moment passes and you snap out of it and realize you're better than that.

I think that those of us who are different are and always will be targets for mean people.

It's extremely difficult sometimes to take the high road but then you think about it and it's very easy to take that road. Does that make sense?

When a cacher steals a cache because they don't like the person who owns that cache they aren't just stealing from that cache owner, they're stealing from every person in the game and that's what makes me sad.

All of us own every cache on the planet. When one member steals a cache we should all be offended.

I understand that but i did get the feeling, from the TeamSeek's first post, that they knew who the culprit was.

We know exactly who's stealing our caches but exposing them is NOT our objective here. Naming them will not accomplish anything because they'll just deny it so what's the point. Those of us dealing with situations like this need to simply rise above it. The same cachers have been stealing our caches for more than 5 years and for more than 5 years we've remained silent and dealt with it. I'm sure they're hoping we'll become so angry and so discouraged and so worn we'll give up and disappear from the game but THAT will NEVER happen! Remember this....they can steal your micros, your smalls, your regulars, your larges and your xxlarges and triple x large jumbos but what they can NEVER steal from you is your love of the game!

This^

As someone who doesn't do PMO hides due to the audit feature, cellphones are a Godsend. Unless it's been changed very recently, I've never shown up on a PMO's audit. Someone would have told me by now if I did, if no other reason than to bust my chops. :laughing:

When we first started, we were accused of stealing hides, mostly ammo cans.

Everyone was sure it was us, as hides became missing before or directly after we found or DNF, sometimes minutes before/after another.

We were getting hate mail regularly.

CJ wanted to quit caching. She'd start crying if a hide wasn't there, imagining the outcome - but I said fuel-to-the-fire, I'm fighting it out.

Luckily, we caught the cache maggot (a wanna be eco terrorist) and there were a few red faces after the truth came out.

We still put the time we find all hides because of it.

If you think you know, you may end up with egg...

If you're positive you know, catch him (we eventually bumped into ours on the trail) then notify Groundspeak.

Five years is way too long to be dealing with that.

This^

As someone who doesn't do PMO hides due to the audit feature, cellphones are a Godsend. Unless it's been changed very recently, I've never shown up on a PMO's audit. Someone would have told me by now if I did, if no other reason than to bust my chops. :laughing:

Everyone was sure it was us, as hides became missing before or directly after we found or DNF, sometimes minutes before/after another.

CJ wanted to quit caching. She'd start crying if a hide wasn't there, imagining the outcome - but I said fuel-to-the-fire, I'm fighting it out.

Luckily, we caught the cache maggot (a wanna be eco terrorist) and there were a few red faces after the truth came out.

If you're positive you know, catch him (we eventually bumped into ours on the trail) then notify Groundspeak.

Yes it's been 5 years but here's the thing....after 5 years we have ZERO interest in dealing with them. When we did, we were suspended. We learned. We don't care anymore.If you're different and you don't fit in you will be a target. What we want to share is what we've learned and that is, DON'T LET YOUR HATERS turn you into the same ugly that they are........don't EVER let them discourage you from placing caches or expressing your love for the game and NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT! They are bullies and bullies thrive on getting a reaction from their victims....you. Show no reaction. Ignore them. If they steal your cache, disable it but say nothing. They long for your to notice them. Don't. Focus on everything positive.

I had one cache torched by delinquents. I had already replaced it twice, so I archived it and gave up on that park.

Another one the ammo can was taken, but here's the weird part. They replaced it with a lock and lock. Everything else is intact. But I'm still not happy about it. Ammo cans aren't cheap. I had my own camouflage on it, so I'll keep my eyes open for a new cache with camo like mine on an ammo can.

Edited by Planet

I have a cache that has been targeted twice now, the first time they took the box and contents but left the log book in the self sealing bag, very strange! The second time the whole lot has gone. I've thought it was a cacher at first but then maybe some kids who have discovered it, who knows?! I was bummed about it the first time (especially as it was my first hide, kinda feels like a special one) but now it doesn't bother me, i'm thinking of just archiving and having done with it.

None of my other caches have been targeted though so i don't think it's someone who's out to get me.

That must be so frustrating having lots of your caches targeted, i think if it were me i'd consider starting again with a new profile, five years is too much, we should be able to enjoy our game without all the nastiness and politics.

Can you share your experience? I guess we feel like if maybe we're not alone it will be easier to deal with? That sounds a bit selfish because we don't want anyone else to experience having their caches stolen by another cacher(s) but it would be 'comforting' in a weird way to know that there are others out there who can relate to what it feels like to know that your caches are being stolen by other geocachers.

Sounds like someone has taken a dislike to you and is taking it out on your caches. It happens, some humans just suck. Hopefully they will get tired of it.

I have a similar problem with a cache that someone has taken issue with. They've stolen it at least a dozen times. It is the oldest cache in Alabama and we want to keep it active, so we keep replacing it. We've even chained it down... they brought bolt cutters.

There's really nothing you can do about this, it's much like having a bully after you - you can't control what he will do, only how you respond to it.

Good luck!

This^

Yes it's been 5 years but here's the thing....after 5 years we have ZERO interest in dealing with them. When we did, we were suspended. We learned. We don't care anymore.If you're different and you don't fit in you will be a target. What we want to share is what we've learned and that is, DON'T LET YOUR HATERS turn you into the same ugly that they are........don't EVER let them discourage you from placing caches or expressing your love for the game and NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT! They are bullies and bullies thrive on getting a reaction from their victims....you. Show no reaction. Ignore them. If they steal your cache, disable it but say nothing. They long for your to notice them. Don't. Focus on everything positive.

You have my sympathies as any dispute causing caches to be destroyed/removed must be very upsetting. However my instincts tell me that there is far more to this chain of events than are posted on the forum. It would appear that (whilst totally inexcusable) this action is the result of a long running feud between you and other cachers that has come to Groundspeaks attention before. Your comment that you did deal with them and you were 'suspended' is a little concerning. My advice is that you take this away from the forum and contact Groundspeak again giving them an accurate account of everything that you feel that has occurred over the years so some arbitration/resolution can be found for the upset/problems you suggest are happening. I don't think any good can come of thrashing it out here and if this feud is still happening after 5 years I think it definately needs some attempt at a resolution. Good luck.

We had some caches and ammo cans go missing this year. Most of these were very involved puzzle caches. Doesn't seem like anyone, but a cacher (or maybe someone who accompanied a cacher) would know where they were. Doesn't seem like someone just looking to steal a cache would bother to go to all that trouble to find them. I could be wrong. The owners feel like someone is targeting them.

This^

You have my sympathies as any dispute causing caches to be destroyed/removed must be very upsetting. However my instincts tell me that there is far more to this chain of events than are posted on the forum. It would appear that (whilst totally inexcusable) this action is the result of a long running feud between you and other cachers that has come to Groundspeaks attention before. Your comment that you did deal with them and you were 'suspended' is a little concerning. My advice is that you take this away from the forum and contact Groundspeak again giving them an accurate account of everything that you feel that has occurred over the years so some arbitration/resolution can be found for the upset/problems you suggest are happening. I don't think any good can come of thrashing it out here and if this feud is still happening after 5 years I think it definately needs some attempt at a resolution. Good luck.

This is my thinking as well. Suspended how? From what? I certainly agree that the stealing of your caches is wrong but i also have the notion that there's more to this than we know.

Five years? That's just too long and indicates that they have no interest in stopping. Myself, i would have contacted gc.com about 4 years ago.

We know who's stealing our caches.

How?

Photographic proof?

Multiple reliable witnesses?

You saw them do it yourself?

Even someone 'admitting' they did it isn't 'proof', since it's quite possible you have rubbed more than one cacher the wrong way, and any one (or even all) of them is ready to 'give it back'. Ever notice how multiple terrorist organizations are quick to jump up and claim responsibility every time something happens?

It does look like someone wants you to go away, and there might even be several parties involved.

Or, it all could be co-incidental.

Do not assume geocachers are doing the muggling. LPC hides are on private property. I have seen some that were muggled by the employees of the stores that were with the parking lots.

Also by cops who knew that it was a geocache. I have seen some lots wih sign stating no unauthorized activities allowed. Also stating that only parking of cars is allowed in the lot.

At this lot cop pulled the hide and said do not come back. The CO did not ask and did see the sign, he did not care. So if you have LPC series that get muggled over and over. Then you are just asking for it. Best way to avoid this is to sak for permission.

So sorry to hear that. Try to realize it's probably just 1 person doing it and try to focus on all the good people who have been trying to help you.

Not sure exactly what you can do about it. Perhaps making more puzzle caches or caches with tricky camo would slow them down. Or maybe just take a break from hiding caches for a while.

2 summers ago, when our LPC series had only 25 caches in it, ALL 25 WERE STOLEN

if you do develop absolute proof, I'd be willing to chip in on a plane ticket to get them to Central Florida.

We could use someone with their unique talents. :ph34r:

Seriously though, it does really suck to be targeted.

Not sure what advice I can offer other than to take a cache hiding hiatus.

But then, the thief would win.

There is much I'd like to say on this situation, but I'm pretty sure I'd get a time out if I did...

I was going to write the same thing, and I don't even know the back story. I just know that it all sound familiar, and I really question the OP's motive for bringing to the forum, again.

There is much I'd like to say on this situation, but I'm pretty sure I'd get a time out if I did...

I was going to write the same thing, and I don't even know the back story. I just know that it all sound familiar, and I really question the OP's motive for bringing to the forum, again.

First of all, this post is THE FIRST TIME we've ever spoken publicly about our caches being stolen so I would be curious to know what this comment about 'motive' and 'again,' means? Also, the cachers who are stealing our caches not only steal our caches but THEY ALSO TEAR OUR SIGNATURE OFF LOGSHEETS!

Maybe it is time to hide and find under a different user name, or take a step back from caching for a while.

Maybe evaluate what the other folks think you did to annoy them?

I don't even know how to respond to this comment so I'll just go with what is coming off the top of my head....We will NEVER cache under a different name nor will we EVER take a step back from caching because we have 'annoyed' others for whatever reason(s). We have done NOTHING wrong. We are proud of our user name and Geocaching is an important part of our lives. We are annoyed by 'them' every day BUT the difference is, we will NEVER steal their caches or tear their signatures off logsheets!

Should we archive our 'Under the Lamppost's Skirt' caches #42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 and 50 or should we replace them so they can get stolen again? What do you think? Hmmmm. Were they all 'stolen' by muggles or geocachers?

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

Maybe it is time to hide and find under a different user name, or take a step back from caching for a while.

I don't even know how to respond to this comment so I'll just go with what is coming off the top of my head....We will NEVER cache under a different name nor will we EVER take a step back from caching because we have 'annoyed' others for whatever reason(s). We have done NOTHING wrong. We are proud of our user name and Geocaching is an important part of our lives. We are annoyed by 'them' every day BUT the difference is, we will NEVER steal their caches or tear their signatures off logsheets!

Okay, it was just an idea.

I'm glad you don't feel the need to retaliate.

I'm still curious how you know who is doing it. Like what proof do you have? It sounds like you just know it this certain cacher who would do this to you, which suggests a backstory here that you're not sharing. It also sounds like this thread is not so much an attempt at "getting over the hurt that we feel". Its more of an opportunity for you to share whats happening and get some sympathy. Until theres some backstory and everyone sees that you are an innocent victim here, you're not going to get that.

....but keep shouting off about how your caches got stolen if it makes you feel better. I'm still marginally interested.

Retaliation is NOT the answer. We don't know what the answer is which is why we came here, to the Groundspeak forums, for advice. Are we 'different' than most cachers in our area? Yes. So what. If our being different makes 'them' feel a justification for stealing our caches and removing our signature from logsheets, what do we do? How do we fight back? We KNOW who's stealing our caches and removing our signature from logsheets but us doing the same to them IS NOT who we are and it's NOT the solution to the problem. When a cacher or cachers steal a cache from a member they don't like they are not just stealing from that member. They're stealing from the geocaching community at large. They are stealing from themselves. I don't think the cachers who are stealing our caches realize this. In their minds they're stealing from TeamSeek, hurting TeamSeek. They don't see the big picture. Are they hurting TeamSeek? Of course, but they're also hurting every cacher who goes to look for that stolen cache. When they tear our FTF signature off a logsheet or rub our signature off a logsheet, yes, they are hurting us personally. Then they contact the CO and say 'TeamSeek's sig wasn't on the logsheet....' We have had our online log deleted because of this and it was only after we described a cache in detail that the CO allowed us to relog the find. If this has never happened to you, believe me, it's tough....to have your integrity questioned. Then to have 71 of your caches STOLEN by other members of the geocaching community. It hurts and you don't know what to do. Do we replace them? Do we archive them? I don't know what the answer is....

Retaliation is NOT the answer. We don't know what the answer is which is why we came here, to the Groundspeak forums, for advice. Are we 'different' than most cachers in our area? Yes. So what. If our being different makes 'them' feel a justification for stealing our caches and removing our signature from logsheets, what do we do? How do we fight back? We KNOW who's stealing our caches and removing our signature from logsheets but us doing the same to them IS NOT who we are and it's NOT the solution to the problem. When a cacher or cachers steal a cache from a member they don't like they are not just stealing from that member. They're stealing from the geocaching community at large. They are stealing from themselves. I don't think the cachers who are stealing our caches realize this. In their minds they're stealing from TeamSeek, hurting TeamSeek. They don't see the big picture. Are they hurting TeamSeek? Of course, but they're also hurting every cacher who goes to look for that stolen cache. When they tear our FTF signature off a logsheet or rub our signature off a logsheet, yes, they are hurting us personally. Then they contact the CO and say 'TeamSeek's sig wasn't on the logsheet....' We have had our online log deleted because of this and it was only after we described a cache in detail that the CO allowed us to relog the find. If this has never happened to you, believe me, it's tough....to have your integrity questioned. Then to have 71 of your caches STOLEN by other members of the geocaching community. It hurts and you don't know what to do. Do we replace them? Do we archive them? I don't know what the answer is....

How are you 'different' from most cachers in your area? I think that may be the answer to this puzzle.

How are you 'different' from most cachers in your area? I think that may be the answer to this puzzle.

Just the fact that you asked that question means a lot. The answer is deep and it's complex. We are not part of the big social circle in our area. We don't attend events. We don't cache in groups. We are not friends with lots of other cachers but that is not to say we are not friendly when we meet other cachers because we are, and always will be. We are pretty much 'lone cachers,' who enjoy geocaching on our own as a team of 2. We are very competetive and wish geocaching in our area was more competetive but because it's not, I guess you could say that we try our best to make the game more competetive in our area. For example; we hit the trails at 4am 2 weeks ago and nabbed 40 FTFs on caches placed for a local event. We hit the trails at 4am, hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and got 40 FTFs. We didn't do anything wrong or anything that violated guidelines etc.... we play the game the way it stimulates us the most like everybody else does but because we're the minority, we're hated for the way we play. That's just one small example of what makes us different....

We are very competetive and wish geocaching in our area was more competetive but because it's not, I guess you could say that we try our best to make the game more competetive in our area. For example; we hit the trails at 4am 2 weeks ago and nabbed 40 FTFs on caches placed for a local event. We hit the trails at 4am, hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and got 40 FTFs. We didn't do anything wrong or anything that violated guidelines etc.... we play the game the way it stimulates us the most like everybody else does but because we're the minority, we're hated for the way we play.

I don't think it is because you are in the minority that you have trouble with other cachers. :blink: :blink:

We are very competetive and wish geocaching in our area was more competetive but because it's not, I guess you could say that we try our best to make the game more competetive in our area. For example; we hit the trails at 4am 2 weeks ago and nabbed 40 FTFs on caches placed for a local event. We hit the trails at 4am, hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and got 40 FTFs. We didn't do anything wrong or anything that violated guidelines etc.... we play the game the way it stimulates us the most like everybody else does but because we're the minority, we're hated for the way we play.

I don't think it is because you are in the minority that you have trouble with other cachers. :blink: :blink:

What does that mean?

Just the fact that you asked that question means a lot. The answer is deep and it's complex. We are not part of the big social circle in our area. We don't attend events. We don't cache in groups. We are not friends with lots of other cachers but that is not to say we are not friendly when we meet other cachers because we are, and always will be. We are pretty much 'lone cachers,' who enjoy geocaching on our own as a team of 2. We are very competetive and wish geocaching in our area was more competetive but because it's not, I guess you could say that we try our best to make the game more competetive in our area. For example; we hit the trails at 4am 2 weeks ago and nabbed 40 FTFs on caches placed for a local event. We hit the trails at 4am, hiked 5.5 miles in the dark, in the rain and got 40 FTFs. We didn't do anything wrong or anything that violated guidelines etc.... we play the game the way it stimulates us the most like everybody else does but because we're the minority, we're hated for the way we play. That's just one small example of what makes us different....

so the event people placed all the caches and they were published early that morning for the event that day. You went and got FTF on all of them before anyone was even awake and didn't attend the event later that day? did I read that right? can you provide the GC code to one of these 40 caches?

Wow! Someone placed 40 caches for an event that you have no desire to attend, and you show up at 4AM and grab all the FTFs? I wouldn't steal your caches, and I wouldn't rip your name out of cache logs. In fact, I wouldn't even want to have anything to do with you.

You're right. You are doing nothing wrong, and you are not violating guidelines, but if this is an example of your typical behavior, how can you expect others not to be to be upset with you? Of course, if what you say is true, it is still deplorable. Stealing your caches is not the solution. I'm really amazed that you think that you haven't done anything to warrant someone going on a multi-year vendetta against you. Do you think that they just woke up one morning and decided that is sounded like fun to harass you for a couple of years?

There's a Paul Harvey story in there somewhere, and it must be a real doozey.

ok I think I see them

GC41T7E , etc. right?

funny in your log you say: The LCG series of caches was so much more than 27 FTFs. Tackling it in the dark and rain was a personal challenge and a fantastic journey for both of us. We enjoyed every minute of it and will never forget the experience!

yet you just said you got 40 ftfs a couple posts above. you trying to pull a fast one on me and embellish a little bit? is that your competitive nature coming through?