Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manuelcasi

Handheld Ham Radios in Death Valley will they work?

Ok I am totally new to this Ham stuff so please be gentle. I have a few questions. First the background. We do a race called BadwaterIf you check it out you will see it is a 135 mile foot race across death valley in July. From 280 feet below sea level to Whitney Portals on Mt. Whitney (elev. 8360 feet). I give the back ground because I want to know if Ham radios will keep teams in communication with handheld units over such varying terrain and elevation? I know you guys can hear people around the world but I also have seen what seems to be Antennas big enough to pick up space shuttle communications. Can we do this with small units and what is the real penalty if a non ham license person uses the unit. Before you go crazy this is why. We will get two people to get the license and keep them with the radio but what if they are hurt? We have doctors on our team and physical therapist that are to busy to get the license but would need to be back up to call for help. That is all they would do. They are professionals no games would be played. Also the heat is over 110 Fahrenheit the whole time (maybe a little cooler as we go up). Does this matter. Thanks

www.ManuelCasillas.com

I lived and worked in the eastern sierras for a few years and once was driving into death valley while the race was occuring. If I remember right the local (Bishop, CA) radio club runs HAM communications during the race. Not sure if they run portable repeaters or run simplex relays or use local repeaters (Silver Peak?) but you would likely have difficulty running radio to radio simplex without bulky antennas as the peaks and valleys are pretty dramatic.

As far as the licensing question goes...the only time a non-licensed ham may operate a station (handheld or any radio) is while a properly licensed control operator is present and monitoring. The only exception to this is serious life threatening or property destruction circumstances (or any public safety concerns) In such emergency cases anybody can use any frequency for notification or help.

Hope this helps out...I will try to find some of the local (east sierra) repeater frequancies if you are interested?

Good Luck

-UA

...Proudly ranked 620th in the state of California!My Home

quote:
Hope this helps out...I will try to find some of the local (east sierra) repeater frequancies if you are interested?

Yes it helps a lot. Please any-info would help. How Big an Antenna? Our Teams travel in a Van and a car (rented from Vegas). Can these things be attached for temporary use? And if so is it going to cost thousands to pull this off? Also they take turns sleeping at Hotels (think of a crew of eight for one runner playing leap frog) If they are inside can we run a wire so they can hear calls for help in the room? See your crew needs to provide all assistant's any help from Authorities is a disqualification. So when someone gets sick (they all do at one point, Because of the heat and we run with the official runner to help them keep pace). We need to ask for someone in the forward position to return to the runners position pick up the sick crew and get them to a cool room, pool ect. and get new crew to help. I hope that makes some since so you understand what I am trying to accomplish

www.ManuelCasillas.com

RACES / ARES are HAMs that just love to go out and do gigs like this.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

To be honest with you, there are far too many details to cover (and unfortunately I am not in a position to cover them all. I am a busy student in the middle of my last semester of school) and there is probably no practical way (since we are both not in or at the area of consideration, Death Valley) to be able to conclusively determine what equipment is needed. So, here is what I suggest you try. Go to this site and look for RACES/ARES and or regional directors in the state of California (Try to narrow down to the east side of the sierras or INYO/MONO counties atc.) and send out some e-mails to some of these people. I am pretty sure there are going to be some local hams at the race you are describing (but I don't know any specifically) and these hams can probably answer very specific questions you might have. I will try to get some links to some of the hams or organizations that operate over there. Also you might try some google searches with key words including Bishop, RACES/ARES, amateur radio clubs etc.

Also, the link I included above has a wealth of information about license rules and testing, etc.

hopes this helps

also...here is a repeater freq for silver peak (in the white mtns.) that has a broad coverage range (though I don't know if it will reach far enough south) 147.060 rx 147.660 tx PL tone 103.5

-UA

...Proudly ranked 620th in the state of California!My Home