convert an Angle to the Northing location.

KyotoUK

Hi All,

I am trying to find the location of a cache and do not fully understand GPS cordinated and wondered if i could get some help. The one i am trying to find is [cache identity removed by moderator]. It's the triangle part i am confused on. I have the angle at A using COS which to 3 decimal places but how do i get this number to be a Northing number? the angle i have can make up the n's in the following ss nn.nnn but not sure how to get the SS numbers.

Confusing this maybe but i am trying to get help without giving anything away.

Edited by Keystone

If it is an offset or a multi-, I would just leave the first two digits as is....

Changing those would put the next stage MANY, MANY miles away! Maybe even many, many, many miles.

:lol:

EDIT: Putting the cache itself into the forums is a dead giveaway. Is why Keystone removed it!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

i didn't think it would a problem as the cache doesn't give you the answer just the puzzle but that's all good, i'm still learning.

Is OK, mistakes are allowed to happen -- once. :rolleyes:

Posting the cache itself allows others to have "free" access to it right through the forums.

It exposes the cache for the whole world to see and work it out, without actually doing the cache itself. There are some pretty slick geocachers floatin' around in here.

Posting such is considered "bad form". Asking for help is fine, but there are limits -- one of which is naming the cache.

Even then, most expect the cacher with questions about a specific cache to ask the CO, first. That would be in "good form".

It's just a game......

Now, go forth and get the cache.

:) :) :lol:

I am trying to find the location of a cache and do not fully understand GPS cordinated and wondered if i could get some help. The one i am trying to find is [cache identity removed by moderator]. It's the triangle part i am confused on. I have the angle at A using COS which to 3 decimal places but how do i get this number to be a Northing number? the angle i have can make up the n's in the following ss nn.nnn but not sure how to get the SS numbers.

Ignore the people beating on you for asking the question. It's a fine one.

The short answer is "don't use UTM for anything having to do with angles."

That's because the UTM grid is not actually a square grid; UTM northing does not point north and UTM easting does not point east. And neither one has a very useful zero coordinate for these kinds of calculations.

I didn't see the cache you were referring to, but what you are probably trying to do is called a projection. You want to go some distance at a given azimuth. Doing this correctly is not likely something you can do by hand. Either use your GPS's built-in functions or something like FizzyCalc, which does it using the WGS-84 ellipsoidal model of the Earth.