eXplorist 310 Multi Help

J'nK

Hi guys, I'm having a hard time entering the second stage of a multi I'm trying to find. I thought I punched it in right in my GPS but it's telling me stage 2 is 19 km away but when I look at the same coords here on Google Earth it's saying 0.13 km away which seems more likely since that's close to stage 1. Any idea what I have done wrong? When I try and put it in my GPS as a Geocache I only have the option to save and not actually enter coords, so I had to enter it as a waypoint if that makes a difference.

Yeah, you are gonna have to make it as a waypoint. Just name it same as the cache with a suffix ( -1, -2, etc.), that way you aren't messing up the cache coordinates itself.

As far as the distance being off so much, it sounds as though you may have "fat-fingered" your entry. One or more of the last two digits is wrongly entered (transposed, maybe?). Double-check when entering.

It doesn't seem to be entered wrong however I can not put in a . between the first 2 numbers and the last 3(excluding the 44 N and 079W). Not sure if this matters though. Another thing, how do I get my waypoint into my dashboard if I ever figure out how to do this right. I like to use the compass feature when caching.

by (.), you don't mean °, do you?

If so, don't sweat it, the instrument knows what you mean without it.

This should help you quite a bit, Magellan's downloadable manual: http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=234&nav=0,18,24,367

Pretty much the best one in the industry -- others don't seem to supply one at all!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks I didn't mean degree no. I meant . as in N44 18.258.

Even that one, you shouldn't be required to enter that. As long as the format is set correctly, the characters will slide right into their correct position, degree symbol or decimal period notwithstanding.

You see, it is trying the read the character as an entered digit, and cannot.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I can't seem to figure out the problem. Maybe when doing multi's I'm just going to have to use my old Magellan eXplorist 300. When I put in the same coords they are telling me the proper distance to stage 2. Very frustrating though...

If your GPS is set to display your coordinates in degrees & minutes (DD MM.MMM - the way that they are displayed in geocaching) then the Magellan should already have the decimal point there - you wouldn't have to enter it, but you would have a space for the first 2 numbers and then a space for the second two numbers.

It sounds to me like your coordinates are being displayed in decimal degrees (DD.DDDDD), in which case you would not be able to enter a decimal nor would the Magellan provide a space for one. AND if you entered numbers into decimal degrees that were supposed to be in degrees & minutes, then, yes, the coordinates would look quite far off!

Go into the settings of your Magellan and make sure it's set to display coordinates in degrees & minutes. That should take care of the problem.

I can't seem to figure out the problem. Maybe when doing multi's I'm just going to have to use my old Magellan eXplorist 300. When I put in the same coords they are telling me the proper distance to stage 2. Very frustrating though...

If your GPS is set to display your coordinates in degrees & minutes (DD MM.MMM - the way that they are displayed in geocaching) then the Magellan should already have the decimal point there - you wouldn't have to enter it, but you would have a space for the first 2 numbers and then a space for the second two numbers.

It sounds to me like your coordinates are being displayed in decimal degrees (DD.DDDDD), in which case you would not be able to enter a decimal nor would the Magellan provide a space for one. AND if you entered numbers into decimal degrees that were supposed to be in degrees & minutes, then, yes, the coordinates would look quite far off!

Go into the settings of your Magellan and make sure it's set to display coordinates in degrees & minutes. That should take care of the problem.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This was the exact problem, the GPS was set to Degree only not Degree and Minutes. I'm very greatful that you were able to understand my rambling and help me fix the problem. :grin:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This was the exact problem, the GPS was set to Degree only not Degree and Minutes. I'm very greatful that you were able to understand my rambling and help me fix the problem. :grin:

Yeah I did that too - got our first multi on try #12 I think - I had problems with true/magnetic North too when projecting a waypoing and then had only degrees & the final cache was 19 Km away until I realized there were minute & seconds... I feel for you! Good luck!

Alright red, here is another question. I'm trying to find the final stage but I need to do a projection of 108 degrees and 200 meters. How would I go about punching this into my GPS?

Don't have an Explorist with me, but if you're in the Waypoints Menu, hit the menu button on the unit, and a pop up menu should come up where Waypoint Projection is one of the choices. Then you can enter distance and bearing.