GC-M0D Custom Firmware

Logo-300x93.png

About

GC-M0D is a custom firmware for the Magellan eXplorist GC that greatly improves overall usability.

It is based upon eXplorist 310 firmware and has been modified by me.

Features:

• Better main menu
  • Custom raster and vector map support
  • World basemap included
  • Slimmed down to 50 MB
  • Fish, hunt, sun and moon calendars
  • Fast zooming on maps
  • More dashboards
  • Lots more options

For screenshots, instructions and downloads see here.

What do you think? Leave you responses below.

I'm not being a smart aleck, but is it legal? :lol: I mean could Magellan "go after" you? I see you have a disclaimer that the user assumes all risks, and I realize that, and it was good to add that to your web page. Yes, the circular menu is a pain in the butt, Magellan themselves are getting rid of that on their new firmware upgrade, which is currently being beta tested by insiders.

Can I add other maps than the world-wide base map using your firmware?

I'm not being a smart aleck, but is it legal? :lol: I mean could Magellan "go after" you? I see you have a disclaimer that the user assumes all risks, and I realize that, and it was good to add that to your web page. Yes, the circular menu is a pain in the butt, Magellan themselves are getting rid of that on their new firmware upgrade, which is currently being beta tested by insiders.

Can I add other maps than the world-wide base map using your firmware?

Admittedly, It could be illegal, but could come under fair use, as I'm am doing it for myself and just sharing it so that other can use it.

I can't wait to see the new FW - will be interesting to see what they add/fix.

Yes, you can add your own maps - just dump them in the Map folder on the root of the device. Then go to Tools>Settings>Maps and enable the maps you want.

I looked through the files and what you have done.

It seems to me that you have just done the same thing as this procedure http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=292070 but just supplied the files instead of letting the user find them on their own.

Looks to be 310 firmware 1.12 with an edited unit.xml and a skin.

While it may be easier for the end user, I think it puts you in a situation where you are hosting someone elses copywritten files.

Call it semantics, but for me its an important distinction.

Just got an email from Magellan - without me even contacting them!

Hello Nathan,

I was notified of your custom GC firmware and have to say I am interested to learn more about your motivation for taking this on. Obviously you feel the GC software can be improved and I would like to hear from you in detail as to why and how. Coincidently we had similar motivation and will be releasing an official GC software update this week.

Improvements include:

· Easier menu screens (larger buttons)

· Raster map support (allows DigitalGlobe Satellite Imagery and National Geographics map subscriptions)

· As well as a number of other minor improvements that will give a better overall experience

But this is just the start. This release was supposed to be out in 2012, but was delayed due to more urgent priorities in the product line. For 2013 we were planning a full GC software overhaul and that project is now underway.

It would be great to hear from someone so ambitious about providing a better user experience with the eXplorist line and I hope you will accept my offer to talk.

I do want to ask a favor though. It would be the responsible thing to note on your webpage that Magellan treats these custom software builds as a void of warranty, so if a user is still under warranty they may want to talk to us about the improvements that they'd like in the product before trying an unauthorized solution.

Thanks,

Richard Tinnell

Senior Product Manager

Outdoor Maps and GIS

Magellan GPS

O. 909.394.7035

C. 949.584.4269

Just got an email from Magellan - without me even contacting them!

Hello Nathan,

I was notified of your custom GC firmware and have to say I am interested to learn more about your motivation for taking this on. Obviously you feel the GC software can be improved and I would like to hear from you in detail as to why and how. Coincidently we had similar motivation and will be releasing an official GC software update this week.

Improvements include:

· Easier menu screens (larger buttons)

· Raster map support (allows DigitalGlobe Satellite Imagery and National Geographics map subscriptions)

· As well as a number of other minor improvements that will give a better overall experience

But this is just the start. This release was supposed to be out in 2012, but was delayed due to more urgent priorities in the product line. For 2013 we were planning a full GC software overhaul and that project is now underway.

It would be great to hear from someone so ambitious about providing a better user experience with the eXplorist line and I hope you will accept my offer to talk.

I do want to ask a favor though. It would be the responsible thing to note on your webpage that Magellan treats these custom software builds as a void of warranty, so if a user is still under warranty they may want to talk to us about the improvements that they'd like in the product before trying an unauthorized solution.

Thanks,

Richard Tinnell

Senior Product Manager

Outdoor Maps and GIS

Magellan GPS

O. 909.394.7035

C. 949.584.4269

Nice!! And very nicely worded by Magellan, not the least bit "threatening". :)

Has anyone tried the new Magellan 2.13 firmware for the eXplorist GC? Is it so very bad that this mod is needed? Or is this mod why it is suddenly released by Magellan?

The 2.13 firmware is worth upgrading to.

The 2.13 wasn't suddenly released. It has been in the works for quite some time. The most requested feature for the eXp GC was the ability to allow custom maps. Installing eXp 310 firmware on an eXp GC allowed this but because the 310 firmware wasn't written for the GC there were some issues. One of the new features in the 2.13 firmware is the ability to upload maps to the unit.

Good point. To be totally honest, I wouldn't want to risk voiding the warranty on a GC to try GCMod, now that the new firmware is out. :) Then again, my unit is 13 months old, and long out of warranty.

Yes, 2.13 was extensively Beta tested by insiders, but I'll tell you what. I could not navigate to a Waypoint (as opposed to a Geocache) the other day. The distance to the cache in the dashboard was totally blank. I'll play around with it some more, but that's quite the bug to get by Beta Testers, if I'm correct. :huh:

There were issues "rooting" a GC, and converting it to a 310? I hadn't heard of any? Although the whole thing was taboo, and voided the warranty of course.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Right now, I'm presently downloading BOTH GC-MOD & 2.13 Firmware.. the size of the two is drastic, and I imagine the 2.13 firmware is mostly overhead..

One thing I noticed in your instructions, to delete EVERYTHING from the root directory of the GC when it's plugged in as a flash drive.. I've run into a similar task, with a cheapy netbook (sold by Sylvania, based on a WinBond MCU, based on the ARM-11).. there were a few mods people made to it, and usually to replace the firmware, it took wiping the flash-RAM.. My 1st attempt to do this, left me with a serious Brick. It was a bare-metal Windows CE 6.0 with just two folders, and absolutely nothing.. It took finding a site, which had three different versions of files, written to a SD card, which would re-write everything to the flash-RAM, and return the device to working again.. One serious suggestion, before anyone does ANY kind of replacement of the Firmware or content of the GC.. When it is connected as a flash drive, Back-up Everything! and I mean EVERYTHING! Hidden files, root directories, etc.. I've found 7-Zip sees hidden files, so that's a start.. (but it takes a good 2-3 hours to compress the content of the root.) Another alternative, connect the GC to a Linux based computer, and copy the entire content of the Root to a directory, before even thinking of deleting it.. Worse case, if the device comes back up as a flash RAM but with nothing in it, you can still recover and re-write everything back.

You should also be able to do a 'DD' copy of the device from Linux as well.. an exact image, is better than just the files.

It's always safer to cover your keester, than be left with a brick.. I, for one, won't have to worry about my warranty.. I got my GC more than 2 years ago.

Side note, since my GC is already out of warranty, and I've already bumped up to 2.13, I got a little adventurous with the screw driver.. There looks like so many things that can be added to the GC, to make the other versions.. the pads on the upper-left, above the battery connector, look like a Micro-SD socket.. not sure what to make of the top-center and top-right pad positions, but one might even be a electronic Compass connection. I closed everything back up, and it still works, but see what I found....

100_1164_zps6a208cbd.jpg

The chip in the center, obviously the Flash RAM.. I wouldn't be surprised, with a little tweak, you could put something a little larger..

Yes, I know, looks dangerous.. And yes, it could be.. But, as they say in the forums of MAKE: magazine, Unless you can open it, You don't actually own it.

Main reason I opened it, I might be looking to get a new joy-button insert.. I've actually warn a small hole through the top of mine. :ph34r:

Edited by gelfling6

Right now, I'm presently downloading BOTH GC-MOD & 2.13 Firmware.. the size of the two is drastic, and I imagine the 2.13 firmware is mostly overhead..

From what I am reading on the eXp GC forums the reason that the 2.13 Fireware is so large is because they updated the base map (along with adding the ability to upload new maps).

As for the eXp GC circuit board. The two empty spots on the upper right that kinda look like combs are most likely for type of connector ports. I suspect that the one on the left was used for testing because these is screw post right were the connector would mount. It is very possible that were left over from a beta version of the board. Do any other model of eXp have a port in that area on the case?

Hmmm.. not sure on the center one.. It looks like a standard connector from the outline, with surface-mount tabs facing towards the center of the device.. (note the area around the screw hole is also bordered by a white outline.) GND/support tabs are on the left/right of the connector area, and an obvious GND/shield support through the upper-left corner of it. (just below-left of the screw area.) But, having looked at the MicroSD socket on an Arduino Ethernet/MicroSD board, Yes, that's EXACTLY what that left-most connector is. So, which newer eXp had the SD socket? I'm still thinking Compass, Altimeter, possibly even accelerometer, connection with those two extra pad areas. The 5 circular pads along the bottom, I would guess to be more of a Beta-testing or Pre-assembling testing connections.

Edited by gelfling6

Side note, since my GC is already out of warranty, and I've already bumped up to 2.13, I got a little adventurous with the screw driver.. There looks like so many things that can be added to the GC, to make the other versions.. the pads on the upper-left, above the battery connector, look like a Micro-SD socket.. not sure what to make of the top-center and top-right pad positions, but one might even be a electronic Compass connection. I closed everything back up, and it still works, but see what I found....

The chip in the center, obviously the Flash RAM.. I wouldn't be surprised, with a little tweak, you could put something a little larger..

Yes, I know, looks dangerous.. And yes, it could be.. But, as they say in the forums of MAKE: magazine, Unless you can open it, You don't actually own it.

Main reason I opened it, I might be looking to get a new joy-button insert.. I've actually warn a small hole through the top of mine. :ph34r:

Interesting stuff. I cut out the image, no one wants to see it twice. :) One thing I thought of, only the 110, the GC, and the 310 use the smaller body, if you will, the Touch screen models are all physically larger, although I don't have the measurements in front of me or anything. Would they use the same circuit board, but have "open space" in there? Who knows.

Interesting stuff. I cut out the image, no one wants to see it twice. :) One thing I thought of, only the 110, the GC, and the 310 use the smaller body, if you will, the Touch screen models are all physically larger, although I don't have the measurements in front of me or anything. Would they use the same circuit board, but have "open space" in there? Who knows.

The more I study it, the more that right-hand pad assembly strikes me as a touch-screen socket, noticing several missing components from the pads below-right of it, and the 'chalk-line' (sorry, feel like a CSI.. :laughing: ) outline of the socket between the screw holes, looks like a compression-holder ("D"-shaped) for a ribbon connector. I'd take a stab, then, the center one under the center screw hole, might have been for a compass. I'd venture the board is for the smaller (same-size) case as the GC.. Oh, how I would love to be able to add the SD card socket! Expand the memory without needing to replace the flash.. (but, it looks like several missing components to the left of it (above the 1002), to the right of the outline, and a few more below.. :huh: )

Oh, the wonders of hardware hacking.. B)

The more I study it, the more that right-hand pad assembly strikes me as a touch-screen socket, noticing several missing components from the pads below-right of it, and the 'chalk-line' (sorry, feel like a CSI.. :laughing: ) outline of the socket between the screw holes, looks like a compression-holder ("D"-shaped) for a ribbon connector. I'd take a stab, then, the center one under the center screw hole, might have been for a compass. I'd venture the board is for the smaller (same-size) case as the GC.. Oh, how I would love to be able to add the SD card socket! Expand the memory without needing to replace the flash.. (but, it looks like several missing components to the left of it (above the 1002), to the right of the outline, and a few more below.. :huh: )

Oh, the wonders of hardware hacking.. B)

AHA! I thought I remembered seeing some Pics on the JungleGhost website. Yep, I found them. Feel free to give any analysis, I can see you're more knowledgeable than me on this stuff. Even though I did get a Community College Electronics Technician degree right out of High School, that I basically never used. :)

Disassembled 510 At JungleGhost.com

Disassembled 610 At JungleGhost.com

Disassembled 710 At JungleGhost.com

Oh, and I think we both forgot they all have Cameras.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Yep.. the 510 has a little mini CCD camera,like the iPhone and quite a few other cell phones I've scrapped down over the years.

They appear to have the main CPU & flash chip under the shield on the 2nd photo.. LOL! Yes, they actually have the board & case-front/screen flipped.. ^ v .. the microphone hanging off the bottom of the board is the give-away.) Yes, it is definitely a different board in comparison.. I haven't found any photos of the insides of the 310 either, even back-tracking junglehost.. The CPU for the GC/310 may be on the screen side, and that appears to be connected on the front side of the board as well.. It strikes me, that it may be an ARM-11 based CPU, but no ideas as to who the maker is.. Surprising, that they chose Win-CE over Linux like many others have been doing with the ARM, lately.

Well.. after 3 failed hunts today, I managed to locate Magellan's 1.7 firmware page again, and download that version.. 2.13 is on the shelf, and Magellan has also opted to pull it because of many bugs.. (data entry modes, and I just ran across a navigation bug that made even the 1.7 jumping around look like a calm child, compared to 2.13's wild-child. (give that firmware some Ritalin!!!!) Hopefully, I can downgrade it back. It's frustraiting!

Stephen

I've labeled up the board so that others can understand the board.

If the camera connector is a standard CSI header, you could potentially hook up the Raspberry Pi camera module (when it is finally released). But we'd also need drivers for it as well, so it might never work.

Only a few minor mis-labels on your version.. the small white "Expansion Connector" is actually the battery connection.. (it mates to a 2-pin molex connector, to the battery holder in the case back), and where you have it labeled as battery connection, is actually the bottom & support frame for the GPS antenna.

LOL! I wish it was as simple as the CSI header.. I have a model-B RPi, and the connector is a little wider.. And, I think they have begun limited release of the camera...

the rest of the labeling is pretty accurate otherwise. The two expansion connectors along the top, slight right and right before the buzzer, are still a mystery.

Just to let you know, now that ver. 2.13 has been released I am now not going to carry on with it. Magellan have finally released a firmware which is on par with firmware in other models.

If anyone else wants to carry on modding it, they are more than welcome to!

Happy Caching!

Just a note, latest release is 2.15, which fixes a lot of the bugs with 2.13.. One minor patch, change (mentioned elsewhere) you need to change the Max_waypoint value in one file (Atlas.ini ? showing my age/loss of memory.) to more than 500 (it will swallow 10,000! which gives more than enough room for adding more waypoints out on the trail.)

Just to let you know, now that ver. 2.13 has been released I am now not going to carry on with it. Magellan have finally released a firmware which is on par with firmware in other models.

If anyone else wants to carry on modding it, they are more than welcome to!

Happy Caching!

Just a note, latest release is 2.15, which fixes a lot of the bugs with 2.13.. One minor patch, change (mentioned elsewhere) you need to change the Max_waypoint value in one file (Atlas.ini ? showing my age/loss of memory.) to more than 500 (it will swallow 10,000! which gives more than enough room for adding more waypoints out on the trail.)

Cheers, I'm just downloading it right now.