FREE replacements for lost trackables

EXMAN

I was doing this for an entire year but have, at least temporarily, given up on it.

i remember someone else that's still doing it but i can't remember their name.

HELP.

i know that someone with the initials B.D. does it, but i think there's someone else too

EXMAN

How does that work?

It works any way you want it, but unless you can provide me or locate a similar attached traveler I'll let you choose one from my supply cabinet. (And I have had people send me the traveler they want attached)

You do need to provide me the tracking number so I can make a tag but I will not log it unless I release it locally. More than happy to send it back to you or anywhere else in the world.

Assume that it is a basic size, but very sturdy traveler, with a laminated tag. If you request things like refrigerator doors or a cinder block, you will get the stink-eye response.

I don't understand Blue, you give back TB tags that have been lost? I have 2 that are lost would you be able to help me in anyway?

I make new replacements. Provided it's been missing for over a yesr.

Edit: No coins. I only replace travelers.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Hi Blue,

You have dog tags that you engrave numbers into?

I have a Travel Ingot that's been missing for over a year and am interested in a re-release. I would want just the tag and provide $$ to have it mailed back to me so I can release it locally to me. I don't care if its not an ingot. I just want the code re-released (so to speak).

Say for instance, I get this new tag with original number and re-release it.....How do you log it? If its been marked as 'Missing' and you suddenly put it in your possession and drop it somewhere - how does that affect the mileage?

Can I give this re-release a NEW name? New photo.....and ZERO the mileage?

I don't care much about the mileage - other than, I don't want it racking up mileage that it didn't take. If there's a way to ZERO the mileage or set the TB as a re-release....?

Thanks!

Oh...and the one I'm referring too...How ironic.... "Don't Steal Me Travel Ingot" only lasted 2 months!!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3748317

Edited by Lieblweb
Say for instance, I get this new tag with original number and re-release it.....How do you log it? If its been marked as 'Missing' and you suddenly put it in your possession and drop it somewhere - how does that affect the mileage?

Can I give this re-release a NEW name? New photo.....and ZERO the mileage?

I've revived several of my previously Missing TBs. I don't delete the previous logs, out of respect for the people who did move the TB. And I don't try to erase the mileage.

Just make a "Grab" log from the void, and it's back in play. I change the mission. My idea is to keep my revived Trackables, so they're now much fancier versions of what once was. I don't change the name, but it's fine to change most anything on the TB page. As I said, it's good to leave the old logs alone. Except for that, you could make it into a completely different thing (a trackable T-shirt or car sign, for example).

Grabbing it from “Missing” will cause a jump in the mileage, about the same as if it had been found and mailed it to you. It's going to be inaccurate at that point anyway -- someone failed to log taking it or placing it or losing it, or whatever caused it to vanish. But if the miles back to you are a concern, you might contact Groundspeak to see if they can make an adjustment.

An engraved tag would be a great replacement. There was also an idea for using paint pens. I don't have excellent penmanship, so I've just computer-printed my replacement tags. Ink or laser printed items will fade eventually, but since they tend to be stolen long before that happens, maybe that's not an issue. But there would need to be more than just the tracking number. Any new tag must include simple Tracking instructions somehow.

Your "Don't Steal Me Travel Ingot" likely has an interesting story about vanishing. Cachers should consider posting something when they know what happened. But TOs seem to be left hanging, every time.

Hi Blue,

You have dog tags that you engrave numbers into?

No, I simply include the tracking number on the laminated goal/mission tag.

Do you have a picture of the finished tag? How is it attached? I might work on a design, when I decide how much text to include.

And the ones I make might not have the "Barcode Bug" (still thinking that over). Maybe an angel or a ghost instead. Or a zombie. Whatever, it's "undead". Laminated paper tags, computer printed, should keep the cost down. Or I can engrave plastic or metal by hand, if cachers can stand my handwriting.

My recent replacements were acrylic keychain fobs with TB name and number. That's all that's necessary for my own TB that I'll keep. I've also bought professionally custom-engraved oval metal tags which cost a little more than Travel Bugs. But those are in shiny "gold" and "silver".

Edited by kunarion

I think I'd rather spend a few bucks and either make my own engraved metal tag or buy one. There's just something about a laminated sheet that won't necessarily stand the test of time. But then again... Nether do these TB's

The OP's offer is best for cachers who don't want to shell out more money when their TB is stolen. So they get a "free" tag, take their chances, and they can make any kind of tag later, if the TB vanishes again.

I haven't "released" my revived Trackables. These are better versions of the originals, and some are now solid gold (which is why those remain with me). It takes me a long time to build them up just the way I like, since one teeny charm is not enough.

Some are $5 engraved tags with only the name & number. Some are acrylic key tags with computer-printed images & text, front & back -- each tag about $1 to make. If I were to release a TB, I'd try the acrylic tag since it won't delaminate. But if I'm making them for cachers "for free", it would save me lots of time & money to make laminated tags.

smdohv.jpg

2rom7aq.jpg

Edited by kunarion

I think I'd rather spend a few bucks and either make my own engraved metal tag or buy one. There's just something about a laminated sheet that won't necessarily stand the test of time. But then again... Nether do these TB's

The OP's offer is best for cachers who don't want to shell out more money when their TB is stolen. So they get a "free" tag, take their chances, and they can make any kind of tag later, if the TB vanishes again.

I haven't "released" my revived Trackables. These are better versions of the originals, and some are now solid gold (which is why those remain with me). It takes me a long time to build them up just the way I like, since one teeny charm is not enough.

Some are $5 engraved tags with only the name & number. Some are acrylic key tags with computer-printed images & text, front & back -- each tag about $1 to make. If I were to release a TB, I'd try the acrylic tag since it won't delaminate. But if I'm making them for cachers "for free", it would save me lots of time & money to make laminated tags.

smdohv.jpg

2rom7aq.jpg

The OPs 'GOAL' was to get more trackables out there for people to enjoy.

What difference does it make whether it's a $4.00 Groundspeak piece of metal or a piece of fake dog poop. SO long as it has a tracking number on it, it's a trackable.

And as far as making a fancy gold replacement........ what good is it? if it's not out there being moved from cache to cache it's just shiny bauble to be dusted off or shined every few weeks.

We need to resurect all of the 'DEAD' trackables out there. If we did, there'd be multiple tackables in every cache.

What BlueDeuce is doing is GREAT.

Keep it up BD !! We'll be sending some cachers your way

smdohv.jpg

2rom7aq.jpg

Those are both nice..... and a more permanent style tag. I realize they will disappear again... To me, the tag is just as important as the 'traveler' attached to it. I don't mind spending a few more bucks on the hobby.

Do you make those to sell? (I had to ask). :laughing:

I hadn't made any calls yet - as I don't know what type of headaches it would be to order a tag from a geocaching store and request a custom number. Or if someone is making these (to sell) for this purpose?

Thanks!

I hadn't made any calls yet - as I don't know what type of headaches it would be to order a tag from a geocaching store and request a custom number. Or if someone is making these (to sell) for this purpose?

The metal ones are $5 commercial tags, engraving was included in the price. I made a list of a group of dead TBs, and ordered them all at once. Google "custom dog tags" and you can find military-style with 5 lines of embossed text for about $3 each. Order a big lot of full color plastic (double-sided!) or "laser engraved" metal for less than $1 each, for lots of more than 100. You'd have to then hand-engrave the Tracking Number on each.

This past year has been devastating for my Trackables (they previously moved rather well). My recent revived TBs are those plastic key fobs. Several of the vanished TBs were a key fob with a TB tag attached, and I've never heard how well they held up, but I'd expect they remain in good shape for a long time.

I'm not selling the key fobs, but if you'd like one, PM me, and I'll see what I can do. Tags like those are sold in various styles and sizes, in craft stores, office supply, and camera shops. You put a photo or piece of paper into the tag and assemble it. You could write the Tracking Number and “Track at Geocaching.com” on the back of the photo.

Edited by kunarion

smdohv.jpg

i made them FREE for a year [over 750] but i'm taking a break.

contact Blue Deuce and he'll hook you up with one [also totally FREE]

2rom7aq.jpg

Those are both nice..... and a more permanent style tag. I realize they will disappear again... To me, the tag is just as important as the 'traveler' attached to it. I don't mind spending a few more bucks on the hobby.

Thanks!