Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrmnjewel

Need some advice

Years ago (circa 1991) I had a roommate in college who was fairly big into ham radio. My other roommate and I got the "no code" technician license in order to assist him in competing in a contest sponsored by CQ magazine. After that contest, I did nothing with my license (I was KD4GOM), and I am certain it has long since expired. I am interested in possibly getting back into ham. I guess going to Radio Shack and picking up some books would be a good place to start?

Matt

(of Matt & Julia)

Hmmmm. Your callsign still shows up on QRZ.com. Check careful, you may be able to renew it without much trouble. I don't remember if it is a 1 year or 2 year grace period. You can try clicking the renew on-line link on QRZ.

In any case, all the info you could ever need to get started is HERE.

Search for the Technician question pool.

If you have specific questions, there are many helpful people here.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

You have a two year grace period after your license expires to request reinstatement, so you have until October 29 of this year to renew without retesting, and keeping the same callsign.

The easy way is to spend $6 and let the W5YI VEC do the renewal for you. Go to here and click on "Online Renewals".

Otherwise you can get a paper form 605 and mail to the FCC in Gettysburg PA.

There is also the option of using the FCC's ULS webpage to renew online yourself. If you want to try that one, I will try to send you in the right direction. I did successfully change my address using that site, but it was a pain.

First read the FCC Info Page.

Then you go here. And then you go here.

If you run into any roadblocks, email and I will try to help. I am not a lawyer, but I have watched the Practice on TV.

Good luck, and welcome back to the fold.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I just wanted to chip in with my 2¢. Unlike Dave, I found the FCC web site reasonably easy to manipulate when I submitted a 605 for a vanity call. I guess it depends on a lot of factors, including your experience with obtuse web sites like the FCC's icon_smile.gif, how willing you are to just barrel through when you don't completely understand what they want, etc.

Anyway, I'd recommend trying to renew on the FCC web site. If you run into any problems or have any questions, feel free to ask questions here, and we'll do our best to help.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Wow. You guys have been immensely helpful. I just checked on the sites provided, and, yes, I am still in the grace period. I am definitely going to renew and proceed from there. Having the interests I have now, I think I am really going to enjoy this. Thanks!

Matt