Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

Try listening to this.....

Iraqi military frequencies.

Let us know if you hear anything.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

It just worked for me. The page it opens to is the map page. Look above that for the frequency page.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

I may miss the point but :

What is the point of posting such a link on a Geocaching Forum ??

I doubt Iraq maps or military frequencies will be of any help in finding new caches.

This message is simply inappropriate.

Lez'

quote:
Originally posted by Lezardo:

This is the GPS and Ham Radio forum (GPS and Ham Radio Usage, including Packet Radio.) As a ham, the link is of interest to me. There are plenty of posts on these forums about GPSr's, two-way radios, software etc. that have nothing to do with geocaching directly. You've been a member here for three months and your going to start whining about posts that "you" don't think are appropriate? icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way, the link is working for me at home, didn't from work today. Thanks

quote:

I doubt Iraq maps or military frequencies will be of any help in finding new caches.

Lez'

There are plenty of posts that are OT but unless you plan on reporting this thread there really is no need to have a negative comment.

If you missed the point, take a look at it this way. In that link there are HAM radio frequencies hence the GPS and Ham Radio forum. So this post really does belong here.

Besides aren't there caches close to Iraq? And after we kick some a** over there maybe someone will place a cache in Saddams home town icon_wink.gif

icon911.gif

quote:

Lez'

Are you a ham? If you are, you wouldn't need to ask. If you are not, you wouldn't understand.

Since this forum is GPS -AND- HAM RADIO, I figure maps and radio frequencies are about RIGHT ON TOPIC!

Nuf-said.

El Paso, Texas.

Maybe Lez uses some sort of clandestine and mysterious method to find caches using HAM.

I tried a bunch of those freqs, no luck. I was hoping someone would have found at least one. I have a good radio, not so good antenna system. The ham and gps connection has to do with radio waves flying all over the earth, plus hams are real good with electronic gadgets, etc. Yes, enough said. As a swl, I would have been tickled pink hearing just one reception from the war area. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

I tried a bunch of those freqs, no luck.

Ah, but isn't that half the fun of radio? Since it doesn't matter whether or not "I" can hear them, it's just interesting to see what is about.

Your problem is probably down to lack of propagation to you, from there. HI

Sometimes my GPSr can't hear enough signal when I'm hunting a geocache, and it stops working. Same problem, you were possibly either listening at the wrong time (no traffic on the frequency) or the signals were just not going to get to you.

Geomagnetic activity was high at the start of the week, which resulted in the Aurora on Monday, so HF bands would have been poor due to absorbtion. 20M has been 'dead' here, and even inter-G activity was difficult on 40M!

The HF DXers hate it when there's an Aurora, those of us who use VHF rub our hands and hope for some longer distance contacts. icon_biggrin.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

"You've been a member here for three months and your going to start whining about posts that "you" don't think are appropriate?"

Waow !! That is an answer !

I don't dare answering... Can you, my master, give me permission to post another message? please...

Or should I wait couple of years before being able to open my mouth? (did you say "Freedom of speech"?)

You must be a very good ham... I hope you don't behave on the air as you do on the forum. Poor newbies in your area, I wonder what you tell them if they forget to give their sign after 10min...??

"There are plenty of posts on these forums about GPSr's, two-way radios, software etc. that have nothing to do with geocaching directly"

There are plenty of people speeding on the interstate, doesn't allow me to speed... I am not the police, I don't have time to report the posts of some guys who have nothing else to than listening to war through military freq and are unhappy when somebody does not share their point of view.

I am really sorry to think that listening to frequencies used by people invading another country to pay less to fill their SUV is not related to geocaching. This is a personal opinion, I understand that you don't share my point of view, that is fine. We can discuss but not on this forum.

Just as a reminder, one of the ham's mission is "to improve international goodwill"

Lez'

Ahh, so now we understand. You didn't like Mike's original post because you don't like the war with Iraq.

As you said, Lez', you're free to have your opinion, and others are free to have their opinion that you are wrong.

What's truly inappropriate here, IMHO, are the ad hominem attacks among the dissenters. While I don't think I've participated in that, I apologize if I have misjudged.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Well... That is true, I do not like the war in Iraq. But this is not the subject of this forum, so I will not argue about this here.

"others are free to have their opinion that you are wrong". Yes, I do not question this right.

However, I think, given the "events" going on in Iraq (where people are bieng killed, Iraqi or American, it doesn't matter), the link could have waited.

Lez'

"I will always fight your ideas but I'd be killed for you to be able to express them"

quote:

However, I think, given the "events" going on in Iraq (where people are bieng killed, Iraqi or American, it doesn't matter), the link could have waited.

Yeah, the link could have waited. Lets all wait till the war is over to listen to the war frequencies. And while we are at it, lets all wait till the movie we wanted to see has left the area, then go see it.

Sheesh.... this guy is a real piece. I guess if you want to watch a 1 hour special at 9pm, don't turn on the TV till 10pm. Makes perfect sense to me!

Lets all wait till it is over, then read my first post!

El Paso, Texas.

Kinda figured lezhole's comments would get a few p.o.'d reactions. I could care less about his opinions. I am disappointed that no one here has not gotten any receptions. Surely there must be some hams somewhere who've heard other hams near Iraq. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Yeah, the link could have waited. Lets all wait till the war is over to listen to the war frequencies. And while we are at it, lets all wait till the movie we wanted to see has left the area, then go see it.

Sheesh.... this guy is a real piece. I guess if you want to watch a 1 hour special at 9pm, don't turn on the TV till 10pm. Makes perfect sense to me!

Lets all wait till it is over, then read my first post!

El Paso, Texas.

I guess that I will turn off FOX now and just wait until someone tells me that the war is over and wait for the movie as well.

icon911.gif

"Lets all wait till the war is over to listen to the war frequencies. And while we are at it, lets all wait till the movie we wanted to see has left the area, then go see it."

icon_rolleyes.gif That's exactly what I meant !!

Maybe you haven't realized: it's a real war with people getting killed. It's not a movie!

I don't know how people can get confused between HBO and CNN, they both have 3 letter but they're pretty different acronyms though.

quote:

"Lets all wait till the war is over to listen to the war frequencies. And while we are at it, lets all wait till the movie we wanted to see has left the area, then go see it."

icon_rolleyes.gif That's exactly what I meant !!

I had hoped you had merely mispoken. There's obviously insufficient common ground between you and many others here to carry on a meaningful conversation.

N5CTI out.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:

Maybe you haven't realized: it's a real war with people getting killed. It's not a movie!

I don't know how people can get confused between HBO and CNN, they both have 3 letter but they're pretty different acronyms though.

Friend, and I use the term lightly, I think it is you who is confused. Maybe you have watched WAAAAYYY too much CNN. Try some FOX.

Yes, real people have died.

DATE........PLACE...............................................KILLED

Oct 1983....Marine Barracks, Beirut, Lebanon..............243

Dec 1985....Pan-Am Flt 103, Lockerbie, Scotland..........004

Feb 1993....World Trade Center, New York, USA...........006

Jun 1996....Khobar Towers, Al Khobar, KSA..................019

Aug 1998....U.S. Embassies, Kenya/Tanzania, Africa......224

Oct 2000....USS Cole, Aden, Yemen............................017

Sep 2001....World Trade Center, New York, USA.

................Pentagon, Washington DC, USA.

................United Airlines Flt 93, PA, USA...................3000+

YOU DO THE MATH!

I can assure you I know what real war is. I have been there and done that. I also have a knowledge of freedom that some snot-nosed whiny kid sitting in front of the TV watching power-rangers on a Saturday morning will never have.

Above that, although I may be retired, and they will not take me back, I still have a very large stake in this war. No, it isn't the price of a tank of gas. It is my only son. He too savors the taste of freedom. Enough so that he is now fighting evil.

By being against the war, you are automatically FOR the opposit. You think it is peace? Not so! You are FOR the opression of an entire nation. You are FOR torturing men, women, and yes even kids like you, for the purposes of the dictators. I suppose you would have also been FOR slavery, because fighting for freedom is not what you believe in. Explain to me how you can be against all of this and still be against this war.

One last thought for you. The Al Qaida terrorists you think should be left to live and let live have a message for you. YOU are an infidel, and YOU must die! Do you think they care one nit that YOU believe in peace?

You should drop down and kiss the ground below your feet that allows you the RIGHT to chaw on your fudge-cicle in safety while REAL MEN battle to protect you from yourself.

I have more respect for the human shields. At least they had the guts to do more than spout off a bunch of bull $h!t. And even THEY realized how wrong they were in time.

My ham friends on the list, I am likely to be banned from geocaching.com for this. So be it. All it takes for evil to florish is for good people to do nothing. I couldn't sit still any longer. This topic has been hijacked, it is up to us to take it back. Lizzardo is not getting another reply from me. You do as you will. I am sorry you needed to see this. I am too old to fight in Iraq, but I fight evil where I can. Actually, this thread is about done too. You have the info. I may or may not be around much more. Depends on Jeremy....

Lizzardo, you want to impress me, take an Al Qaida out to lunch.

El Paso, Texas.

Spelling errors, hope I got them all...

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on April 11, 2003 at 08:57 PM.]

Amen brotha and thanks to you and your son for our freedom. If/when you talk to him tell him good luck and thanks from Somerset,PA which BTW is where Flt. 93 went down. Hope to see ya around here still.

icon911.gif

I'm in central Iowa, and there seems to be moderate late night activity on 11.175 MHz(upper side band). Can't make out the purpose of many of the transmissions but they do seem to be military in origin. Heard a lot of discussion of "evac" units.

KC0EBL

Just heard a "SKYKING, SKYKING, DO NOT ANSWER" followed by some phonics on 11.175. Seems to be a bit of activity here...

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

Thanks. I have not been listening. My son's unit just hit Tikrit, and we have been glued to FOX most of the weekend.

Hope you-all had a great weekend.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Stacy and Steve:

I'm in central Iowa, and there seems to be moderate late night activity on 11.175 MHz(upper side band). Can't make out the purpose of many of the transmissions but they do seem to be military in origin. Heard a lot of discussion of "evac" units.

KC0EBL

I'm in northern Ill and heard activity on 11.175 mhz usb at about 0615 UTC. This was not good enough for a reception report, and did sound military, but most likely was from local air. It was one of the freqs on the list.

quote:

"...I don't have time to report the posts of some guys who have nothing else to than listening to war through military freq..."

How long would it take you to click on the little 'Report This Post' icon that appears in the extreme lower righthand corner of each forum post (the triangle with the ' ! ')? If the folks at Groundspeak think this forum's topic is that off-side, they'll deal with it; if they don't, "...it's their house...".

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

How long would it take you to click on the little 'Report This Post' icon that appears in the extreme lower righthand corner of each forum post (the triangle with the ' ! ')? If the folks at Groundspeak think this forum's topic is that off-side, they'll deal with it; if they don't, "...it's their house...".

I think lizzard0 is gone. If not, he has certainly become irrelavent.

I think one reason we are not hearing much is because the Iraqi units are not flying. If there are no aircraft in the air, there won't be many comms to monitor.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

"...I think lizzard0 is gone. If not, he has certainly become irrelavent..."

First of all, you know my background Mike ...so before you 'Go Off' again, take a moment to step back and think about what you just said. Nobody - in your country or mine - is 'irrelevant', which is precisely why people like you and I spent a good portion of our adult lives in uniform.

I would tend to agree with Mike on the "irrelevant" point. As I said in my earlier post, Lezardo's views are so far outside the norm as to render him irrelevant in the context of this forum thread. Of course, I could be way off base in what I consider to be the norm...but I don't think so.

Just because we have fought to guarantee him his right to be obtuse and obnoxious doesn't mean we aren't consistent when we consider him to be irrelevant.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

"...As I said in my earlier post, Lezardo's views are so far outside the norm as to render him irrelevant in the context of this forum thread..."

I think that your comment ignores the fact that - whether you share Lezardo's views or not - his/her remarks *do* reflect the feelings of a good many people ...maybe even yourself to a certain degree, if you stop to think about it.

I don't believe that it's much of a stretch to suggest that most of us here would agree upon the seriousness (...the deadly seriousness) of the business of war - any war. By extension, the interest that we have in keeping abreast of the current action should reflect the grave nature of what is actually taking place ...and nobody here has posted any remark to make me think that isn't the case (which is a critical point that Lezardo appears to have missed). On the other hand, I think that we all know people for whom watching the war on CNN (or pick your network of choice) has become almost 'entertainment' - as if doing live advance-to-contact had become some sort of perverse spectator sporting event complete with expert commentary, "we'll be right back" cliffhangers and CocaCola commercials ...and *that* is where I think Lezardo's objections were coming from (that they didn't apply to those posting to this forum is what got him/her into trouble).

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

(that they didn't apply to those posting to this forum is what got him/her into trouble).

And that is also what proved him to be irrelevant. Not in some grandiose "scheme of things" way, but in the context of this thread. The fact that he (mistakenly) believes that our war against the former Iraqi regime was wrong wasn't what made him irrelevant; it was his judgmental approach to what's right or wrong in this forum, as well as his lying (gotta call 'em like I see 'em) by trying to deceive others about his motivation: he doesn't like the war, so he wants to spout off over Mike's original post, but he doesn't want to reveal his true beliefs and motivations for his post.

In addition to being wrong in his original post and wrong in his stance on the war (a matter of opinion, of course), he's a coward too afraid to stand up for what he believes in until he's called on it. That makes him irrelevant in my book.

I think I'm getting too wrapped up in this. Fer cryin' out loud, it's just a stinkin' message board. I don't think he deserves your defense of him, but hey, live and let live, especially when it comes to message boards, right?

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

OK... let me explain....

As to the irrelevant comment, I meant lizzard0 is of little interest to me at this point, and I doubt he could post anything else that I would consider worth reading or replying to. That may be my loss, but I can be a real a$$hole about stuff like that.

On the live close-to-contact... you cannot imagint the hole my butt pinched into the couch while I sat transfixed in front of the TV. I never noticed the comercials, because the echos of 13 years ago were like yesterday in my head. And the shreaded and burned bodies of a bradly crew were so real I could swear it was on TV. Yes, it is deadly serious business. Lizzard0 doesn't have to like it. But I don't need to read his line either.

OTOH, I heard from my son today. Actually, my wife did. I was at work, and he only had seconds. But he is well and uninjured, and no longer a rookie.

Y-all have a great evening.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

"...On the live close-to-contact... you cannot imagint the hole my butt pinched into the couch while I sat transfixed in front of the TV. I never noticed the comercials, because the echos of 13 years ago were like yesterday in my head..."

...and 25 years after I left southern Lebanon, the hair *still* stands up on the back of my neck whenever I hear a helicopter in the distance. Nobody comes away from these experiences unchanged.

Mike, that's all the more reason why we should take offense to those who's keen armchair interest in the war is more akin to watching a two month long SuperBowl than it is in hoping that folks make it back safe and sound. There's a *huge* difference between someone who sits transfixed watching the latest from Iraq because they have family or friends in-theater, and the person who simply watches the 'War In Iraq Show' each night because they get to see 'Real S***' blown up 'Real Good'. The latter have absolutely *no* clue what the former are going through ...nor would it seem that they care.

Anyway, if this forum wasn't way off topic before, it most certainly is now ...time to get it back on the rails.

Cheers.

TC

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

"...I don't think he deserves your defense of him, but hey, live and let live, especially when it comes to message boards, right?..."

Hey, I'm a Canadian, we're expected to be the 'conciliators'... icon_wink.gif

I guess you guys are just "The Swiss Of The Western Hemisphere." icon_biggrin.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"By being against the war, you are automatically FOR the opposit. You think it is peace? Not so! You are FOR the opression of an entire nation. You are FOR torturing men, women, and yes even kids like you, for the purposes of the dictators. I suppose you would have also been FOR slavery, because fighting for freedom is not what you believe in. Explain to me how you can be against all of this and still be against this war."

Stop thinking with you gun. What you say is typical FOX cr@p. I am sorry, I don't mean to insult your intelligence but how can you explain that many people in the US and all over the world demonstrated against the war? They are all Al-Qaeda undercover agents? You are probably right. France, Germany, Belgium, Russia... Let's invade them, they protect Bin-Laden by delaying the war, let's nuke them.

Of course everybody is ready to stand the end of torture, violence and all that. But is war the solution? you think so, I don't.

Tell me dear "Desert-warrior", why your "Real Men" don't go to N.Korea, why don't they go to remove all the dictators in Africa? There are many people to free over there too. But there is no oil.Strange... Don't give me the "freedom" speech. Please.

I think you went off.

Cache Canucks thanks for your message. However, I keep on thinking the link could have waited (that 's all I stated by the way, I still don't understand how some people can post that I am pro-torture from that...)

From El Oso "he doesn't like the war, so he wants to spout off over Mike's original post, but he doesn't want to reveal his true beliefs and motivations for his post."

I Don't like the war. I think you can support the war (Freedom of speech) but, of course, not on this forum. If you want to show your support, why don't you go on "www.ilikethewar.com" instead of geocaching.

I don't agree with you on the war issue, it does not mean I refuse to hear you. I have not reported the link. I will not report it, this is not my job. If you don't like people giving their opinions, don't post messages on public forums.

"he's a coward too afraid to stand up for what he believes in until he's called on it." Please don't lecture me again on "the ad hominem attacks" because this is exactly what you are doing.

Lezardo (who has a real life and has been busy)

"Since there will be no one left to talk peace after the next war, it makes good sense to break with tradition and hold the peace conference first."

WILLIAM GLASSER, MD

This topic has turned political in nature and is no longer appropriate here. I'm closing this thread.

frog.gif Elias