The PQ blues

TRAILGEAR

Hi,

I'm new to the GPS part of Geocaching and am having trouble creating usable PQ's. So far I've created 2 and both only show cache's that I've already found. I've gone back and made sure that was not set on the filters, in fact I didn't set any filters so that I could get as many caches as possible. However when I view the PQ's on the map they show all the cache's. Has anyone else experienced this? When I export the gpx file from the zip file to my computer one PQ is only 2KB and the other only 23KB. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm new to the GPS part of Geocaching and am having trouble creating usable PQ's. So far I've created 2 and both only show cache's that I've already found. I've gone back and made sure that was not set on the filters, in fact I didn't set any filters so that I could get as many caches as possible. However when I view the PQ's on the map they show all the cache's. Has anyone else experienced this? When I export the gpx file from the zip file to my computer one PQ is only 2KB and the other only 23KB. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,

1] If you are receiving "PQ's" of only caches you have found, you probably are running a My Finds Query, not a Pocket Query.

Solution: Keep from clicking that [Add to Queue] button, as it ONLY runs a My Finds Query, it has nothing to do with a Pocket Query.

2] Upon creating a PQ - setting the parameters, distance, cache size/type, etc. -- make sure that you DID NOT set a day-of-the-week for it to run. Click [submit Information] at the bottom of the page. Now scroll back to the top of the page and in a link (in red, I think) it will allow you to preview the results.

If you are happy with the results, backpage and set the day-of-the-week and then [submit Information].

If you are NOT happy with the results, close the page and that particular PQ will not run. This way, it does not affect your 5/day limit.

What do you mean by "export the gpx file"? Pocket Queries are downloaded -- if less than 500 via email, if over 500 via direct download on the PQ page (the middle tab of you PQ page -- it will tell you how many downloads are available).

Depending on which GPSr you are using and/or loading widget you may or may not have to unzip the zipped file. If you are using a "drag 'n drop" method of loading it to your unit, you should unzip it and drag and drop each (one is caches, the other is child waypoints).

Side Note: When learning to do PQ's, running it for as many as you can is unnecessary (1,000 each shot). Play with the parameters and learn how to use them and what results they return. Use a specific cache (ID#) as a center-point for a query, instead of just your home coordinates each and every time.

Once you get the hang of it, it'll be easy peasy.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Did you run the PQ again after verifying that the map preview showed the caches you wanted? Did you download the GPX file again after running the PQ?

Thanks for the input, although I did attempt to run another PQ after verifying the map showed the caches.

Hi,

Thanks,

1] If you are receiving "PQ's" of only caches you have found, you probably are running a My Finds Query, not a Pocket Query.

Solution: Keep from clicking that [Add to Queue] button, as it ONLY runs a My Finds Query, it has nothing to do with a Pocket Query.

2] Upon creating a PQ - setting the parameters, distance, cache size/type, etc. -- make sure that you DID NOT set a day-of-the-week for it to run. Click [submit Information] at the bottom of the page. Now scroll back to the top of the page and in a link (in red, I think) it will allow you to preview the results.

If you are happy with the results, backpage and set the day-of-the-week and then [submit Information].

If you are NOT happy with the results, close the page and that particular PQ will not run. This way, it does not affect your 5/day limit.

What do you mean by "export the gpx file"? Pocket Queries are downloaded -- if less than 500 via email, if over 500 via direct download on the PQ page (the middle tab of you PQ page -- it will tell you how many downloads are available).

Depending on which GPSr you are using and/or loading widget you may or may not have to unzip the zipped file. If you are using a "drag 'n drop" method of loading it to your unit, you should unzip it and drag and drop each (one is caches, the other is child waypoints).

Side Note: When learning to do PQ's, running it for as many as you can is unnecessary (1,000 each shot). Play with the parameters and learn how to use them and what results they return. Use a specific cache (ID#) as a center-point for a query, instead of just your home coordinates each and every time.

Once you get the hang of it, it'll be easy peasy.

Wow, that's alot to take in. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

1. I was using the "create a pocket query" under my profile for one of them and the other I was trying to create a route then a query from that.

2. Thanks I will try that approce for the next one.

As for the "export the gpx file" I was refering to exporting it from the zip file. For some reason even though I only queryed 500 caches it would only send me a link to a zip file not a downloadable file. It also only contained 2 caches and was only 23KB.

I am attempting this on an Explorist GC with the drag and drop method. I read on someone elses post that when you un-zip the file there should be 2 files one for the waypoint folder and one with the geocaches. However when I un-ziped the file it only contained a gpx file. I was able to drag it over to the gps and thats where I noticed onle 2 caches for one file and 1 for the other and all of them contained my logs from when I found them.

As for the "export the gpx file" I was refering to exporting it from the zip file. For some reason even though I only queryed 500 caches it would only send me a link to a zip file not a downloadable file. It also only contained 2 caches and was only 23KB.

I was able to drag it over to the gps and thats where I noticed onle 2 caches for one file and 1 for the other and all of them contained my logs from when I found them.

Are you absolutely positive you aren't running the My Finds pocket query? This sounds exactly like the behaviour that happens when you click the "Add to queue" button. Also, when you say they had your logs on them, are there any other logs, or just yours? If it's only your logs, then it's definitely a My Finds pocket query. Regular pocket queries will return the last 5 logs by any cacher.

I am attempting this on an Explorist GC with the drag and drop method. I read on someone elses post that when you un-zip the file there should be 2 files one for the waypoint folder and one with the geocaches. However when I un-ziped the file it only contained a gpx file.

The second file "[PQ name]-wpts" contains the additional waypoints, like parking or trailhead coordinates. If none of the caches returned by the pocket query have any additional waypoints, this second file won't be present, since it would be empty.

I'm definatly not absolutely positive. I went to my profile and under Primeum Features and clicked on Build a Pocket Query.

That does make sence that if there are no waypoints the file won't be there.

Thanks again, I am planning to try and build a couple more this evening so maybe they will work for me then.

You might want to try the other method of getting a PQ: go the map, and center it on the area you'd like to have a PQ for (remember that the center includes the space that's hidden under the left side bar!). Zoom out so you get a nice wide view. Then on the left-hand side bar, click "Save as Pocket Query." The usual filter page will come up, defaulting to 500 caches. Don't check anything except the day you want the PQ generated (whatever day of the week it is, if you want it right away), then scroll down and hit "Submit information." Once you do that you'll get the page where you can check which caches were included in the PQ and view it on the map.

I've always run my PQs this way (unless I'm making a PQ for a route) and it's always worked great!