Garmin GPS V

The GPS V is a twelve-year old model. Sure it may well get you there, but I really think that you would be far happier with a current model. It's the mapping program that provides turn-by-turn, not the unit itself.

Newer mapping is far better than older, and it's in color to boot!. Much of the free download mapping is far superior to that which a GPS V is even capable of supporting.

If your intent is to use if for geocaching, you will "outgrow" it very soon and end up upgrading to a newer, better model anyway.

Save yourself the interim money. Go newer to begin with!

Being a 2001 model, it probably does not have a high-sensitivity receiving antenna. As such, reception in other-than-ideal settings will be questionable.

The GPS V is a twelve-year old model. Sure it may well get you there, but I really think that you would be far happier with a current model. It's the mapping program that provides turn-by-turn, not the unit itself.

Newer mapping is far better than older, and it's in color to boot!. Much of the free download mapping is far superior to that which a GPS V is even capable of supporting.

If your intent is to use if for geocaching, you will "outgrow" it very soon and end up upgrading to a newer, better model anyway.

Being a 2001 model, it probably does not have a high-sensitivity receiving antenna. As such, reception in other-than-ideal settings will be questionable.

So how good is it actually for geocaching? If I need another model anyways, what good inexpensive models are there, preferably under $70, preferably $40 or less, even if I need to get them used?

The Geocaching.com reviews for this device are recent from 2012 and say it's great and works every time, so there's no antenna problem. The only thing I care about is that it is able to get me close enough to a ccache (10 feet) in order to find it. I don't need tons of fancy stuff. The Geocaching.com reviews for this device can be found at: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_gps-v_p1

Edited by floridabiker1

I am considering purchasing a Garmin GPS V. I've read it gives you turn-by-turn directions. Can you use it for geocaching to get within 10 feet of the desired coordinates?

It did the job and is very rugged, many of us old timers started on it or the III+. Turn by turn directions are only if you have city select program ( or what ever newer version is called, city navigator, maybe $85 for that )and it might hold the Orlando area, 19 megs total. If I remember right it only zooms to 50 feet on the maps so from 50 feet out it would show your on the cache. You would be better off taking the money your putting out for it and the city navigator program and getting a more modern unit for that same investment. Heck if you have a smart phone and can get the geocaching phone app ( only $10, unless it went up) it gives you more bang for the $$$. Even a refurb garmin nuvi ( for your car ) gives more bang for the $$.

Edited by IBcrashen

I am considering purchasing a Garmin GPS V. I've read it gives you turn-by-turn directions. Can you use it for geocaching to get within 10 feet of the desired coordinates?

It did the job and is very rugged, many of us old timers started on it or the III+. Turn by turn directions are only if you have city select program ( or what ever newer version is called, city navigator, maybe $85 for that )and it might hold the Orlando area, 19 megs total. If I remember right it only zooms to 50 feet on the maps so from 50 feet out it would show your on the cache. You would be better off taking the money your putting out for it and the city navigator program and getting a more modern unit for that same investment. Heck if you have a smart phone and can get the geocaching phone app ( only $10, unless it went up) it gives you more bang for the $$$. Even a refurb garmin nuvi ( for your car ) gives more bang for the $$.

Does it tell you how many feet or meters away you are from your destination, and can you enter coordinates on it?