Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
zenrandom

I passed!

Hi all,

Just took and passed the Tech today. Never did study for the General but we took it any way and got 15 q's correct, didn't think that I would do that well but will study and take that later. Now...what radio to get. I have been thinking alot about the vx-7.

Congrats to all the other new hams.

Looking at the VX-5r, thoughts?

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

Way to go. icon_smile.gif I picked up the Yaesu VX-5R as my first HT, & really like it. A lot of features, meaning a whole lot of manual reading, but a very nice unit. 7R, I believe, has more features, & should be a great unit as well. Working on studying up on my code & the questions for my general. For sure, a little more involved than the tech exam, but can't wait to get the upgrade. 73's for now.

KC2KNI

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

Looking at the VX-5r, thoughts?

The only reason I would go with the 7 over the 5 would be to have the dual receive. Other than that I would have to get the 5. Also you get 220 with the 7 as well.

quote:
Congrats, SteveL & benjamin921

Way to go

Thanks Gimpy

I am blown away at the number of bells and whistles this thing has – it’s going to take some time to master. I also got the 12V car charger, the earpiece/mike (like on a cell phone, except a little PPT on the mike part), the programming cable and software, and a magmount 144/440 antenna. I think I’ll get a thru-the-glass antenna soon, looks like a cell antenna, and doesn’t (hopefully) draw any attention. I can’t wait till my call letter post on the ULS so I can hit the TX button.

What I really could use is a “template” to clone my unit to of common repeaters / channels used here in Southern California – trying to figure it all out will take weeks!

Looking forward to caching with this radio in my pack!

SteveL

P.S. any SoCal Hams out there? If so, where do you hang above 50Mhz? I’d like to make my first contact a little less “random” – I’ll give you a shout when I get my letters!

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

I got my call sign... KB3JBE icon_biggrin.gif

Well I drove the 3 hours to Wickliffe, OH to the AES store and picked up the VX-5. What a cool radio. It's gonna take about a year to figure it all out. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

I got my call sign... KB3JBE icon_biggrin.gif

Well I drove the 3 hours to Wickliffe, OH to the AES store and picked up the VX-5. What a cool radio. It's gonna take about a year to figure it all out. icon_eek.gif

I'm still waiting for mine icon_frown.gif - the group I took the test with does it through w5yi, and they sent the results via US MAILicon_mad.gif to Texas where they are then uploaded to the FCC - I should get mine sometime next week. I'll be checking the FCC ULS site everyday till it shows up. It's still pretty quick, I guess - you used to have to take the test at an FCC field office and wait MONTHS for your ticket!

I've had my VX-5r for a few days now - I am amazed at what they can pack in there for the price.

SteveL

SteveL:

Congrats. My club has a weekly net that you are welcome to check in. We use a repeater on Palos Verdes that has coverage throughtout the LA and Orange co. areas. Thursdays, 7 PM, 145.380- (100.0). Also, call our club, K6AA at the LA Maritime Museum, 145.520 simplex. Email me if you want to set up a sked.

Woohoo! I just checked the FCC website and found my callsign!

Greetings from KG4YKC!

I picked up a Yaesu VX-7rb ht to play with, so far I am very impressed with it's capabilities.

Well, I just had to post an update here. I haven't done much geocaching in the past few months because I have been consumed with my new hobby, Amateur Radio! I got my Tech license in February, and passed my Element 3 (the General class theory test) back in April, and just passed my Element 1 (the code) on Saturday at my club’s Field Day site. In the mean time I have bought a few more radios, a Kenwood TS-440S/AT and a TS-2000 – had them both running at my clubs Field Day site (K6SOA, we were a 3A ORG). What a blast FD was! I stayed the nite and worked a bunch of stations, including a contact on UO-14 (100pts!). I got into working sats a few months ago, and bought the TS-2000 to work some of the SSB birds.

Anyway, I have been playing with PSK31 on 20M today – amazing what 20W can do! Just wanted to drop a line to the group that got me started on it all, thanx for the inspiration! BTU OM, DE KG6OYK/AG!

SteveL

Congratulations, Steve, and everyone who has passed one element or another.

For a while, everyone we were reaching on 20m was in California or the PacNW. We tried for some sats and played around some with FSTV. The weather turned out wonderfully, even after I-don't-know-how-many rainy weekends we had prior to this. One regular cache and three micros. Fun FD.

Sats are a lot of fun. I sometimes spend an evening listening out for them.

Geocaching got me started in ham radio a little over a year ago, and this thread has tracked my progress from a Tech waiting for his call sign, thru a General, and yesterday I graded to Extra! I haven't been Geocaching in a while, but I do make time for T-hunting - I LOVE IT! I won my clubs last hunt and get to hide it next time (it can be just about anyware in Orange County, CA). Thanx to all on here who provided me with encouragement, ideas, and just explained what all this is about. I have been doing Sats, HF, APRS, T-hunting, PSK-31, meteor scator - you name it.

73 and hope to see you on the bands or in the bush!

SteveL

Congrats, to all on this thread who passed thier Ham test. I know it's exciting and you can't wait till the ticket comes in, but now you have the option of checking it out on a website, We did not have that option. Anyway Congrats and Welcome in to a World of New Radio Operators whom I hope will encourge you to go ahead and upgrade from here and continue this great Hobby and also encourge you to try the HF Bands and other Modes of Ham Radio, Modes Like Echolink and to have VOIP and maybe working some CW later on when you learn the code,If you have not done the Code yet. There is several modes that you probally will never try, but You can't tell you may get the bug, the same bug that bit you to Geo-Cache and you will try some of the newer things. So 73's for now and I say Congrats and keep up the good work. Remember how long you studied for your test and the number of hours spent doing it and as you go on reflect back to this , when you are operating and It will make you feel good. It's your call sign and you worked for it.

73's and Cograts to all who passed their test

WV5V

Continouswave

MISSISSIPPI :mad:

I'll just add - I passed element 4 this weekend, so until the datbase gets updated you can call me

KC2IXE/AE

All of you new hams, great work!

Keep on studying and taking those tests.

Now that you have passed the exams and are trying out your new radios, get ready for some real fun when you move onto the HF bands!

Don't forget to take those CW (morse code) tests.

I've been a ham for many years, and it has been great fun. I had never even heard about geocaching until very recently when I saw a survey question on the ARRL website.

I found my first geocache this past weekend, and I don't even have a GPS yet!

Last month I took and passed the FCC 2nd Class Commercial Radiotelegraph exams (including the 20 words per minute code test) . . . just to see if I could still do it!

CW is really a blast and the essence of Ham Radio.

Carl

Edited by WA7CS

For those of you with the Yaesu HT's, check out the VX-___ Commander software at the KC8UNJ web site. That and the proper cable will make programming a breeze. I had the VX-1R, sold it and bought a 5R, and then got a 7R after seeing the improvements and features that the 7R offers (my wife got ta 7R while I still had the 5R). The 2R (replaced the 1R in the Yaesu lineup), 5R, and 7R are all top-shelf stuff, from what I have seen and read about.

Congrats to the new hams and to those who are studying for the license (trust me....you WILL pass the exam)!

Passed the Tech exam and nearly passed the General (25/35) I guess that's pretty good for not studying the material for the General (The VE's let me try for free). Looking forward to getting my call sign.

Found an estate sale on Ebay and got an old Yaesu FT-51R. Getting it charged up and will start programming it.

Anyone use the ARRL repeater listings for rural areas? Going out to western Neb later this month and would like to have the repeaters programmed.

Congrats BigRedMed!

Now the pain of waiting until your callsign is posted on FCC's site... I remember that well... let us know as soon as you get it!

The Repeater Directory is very useful and usually shows the offset and tones for each. I've found that the pages of the little book tear out easily, if you're inclined, I'd get the software version.

Don't get me wrong, the book is handy, cheaper and more portable, but just not as durable.

Todd - K7PKT

For those with the Yaesu VX-series H-T's; there are Yahoo! groups whic discuss those radios, and there are versions of the "Commander" programming software for them as well, available from KC8UNJ (Jim). The cables can be bought from RT Systems, which also offers programming software.

I like the VX-__ Commander software much better, though.

Also, congrats again to the new hams on here!

I'm studying for my Technician's license. My problem is getting to a test site when they offer the test... between work and school (college) I'm super busy. I've emailed the local club to see if there is an alternative test date, so we'll see.

I've also been reading the posts here and at other sites I've found on the internet about the different radios available. I think I'm going to go with a handheld because I live in an apartment and can't put in an antenna, nor do I have room for anything indoors.

We'll see what happens, maybe within the next month or so I'll be on-the-air.

;) My daugters and I use our ham radios to stay in touch with the Mrs Sparky when we are out and about GeoCaching, we use VX-7R, FT-50RD, and VX150 for in the fields with assorded Motorola and Kenwood commercial gear in the house and vehicles.

KD5IKG/KD5TDP/KD5YCN/KE5Aii/ Sparky Jr will have to thry the test a second time...

Both KD5TDP and KD5Aii only studied the week before the test....Good Luck!

Have commercial gear for the FireFighting duties, don't make the mistake of using ham radios for non-ham usages.

:P