Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
zenrandom

I passed!

Well I took my tech and my general theory tests on the 20th... and I passed. Wheee... So I've got this little HT, and still learning morse code. I just need my call sign now...no sign of it so far. I can't imagine the time when the test was administered by an FCC engineer and you had to wait for the paper... I bet there were a good contingent of people just drooling in eager anticipation of its arrival... but not on their radio gear

-zr

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

from KD7BED icon_biggrin.gif

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. - Groucho Marx

Congratulations, welcome to a new hobby, one you can enjoy until your last day....

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

congrats on passing your test i passed mine friday of last week (18 oct 02) and mine appeared on qrz.com today (24 oct 02) they usually update 24 hrs after the fcc and wasnt nearly as confusing of a website lol. again congrats and have fun

David KG4VQR

firewater68@aol.com

Check on the FCC website FIRST, it shows up there before it gets to qrz.com

quote:
Originally posted by zenrandom:

Well I took my tech and my general theory tests on the 20th... and I passed. Wheee... So I've got this little HT, and still learning morse code. I just need my call sign now...no sign of it so far. I can't imagine the time when the test was administered by an FCC engineer and you had to wait for the paper... I bet there were a good contingent of people just drooling in eager anticipation of its arrival... but not on their radio gear

-zr

-----

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

quote:

-zr

-----

From one new ham to another. Congrats

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

From another new ham. Took my test on the 5th, it took about a week and a half for my call to show up on the FCC web site. (KD7SWM)

Just won an auction for a nice affordable dual-band mobile (Kenwood 733) on ebay today, now I just need an HT so I can take it geocaching with me.

Don't know about the rest of you new hams, but geocaching was definitely a motivator to getting into ham radio. Going on some of these neat hikes in some out of the way places, it's nice to know I will have emergency communications with me now!

- waynem

quote:
Originally posted by waynem: (KD7SWM)

Now I just need an HT so I can take it geocaching with me.

For size, weight, features, battery life, etc... I recommend the ICOM IC-W32A. With the accessory remote control mic, it is tops for hiking. I use a military Camelbak HAWG pack. I stick the radio in the pack, with the antenna sticking out the special antenna flap designed into this (mil version) pack. I pull the mic over my shoulder and clip it on the shoulder strap. The mic allows me to control TX/RX (of course), memory or VFO mode, and step through memories in memory mode, or freq up/down in VFO mode. The mic also has a red LED to show me I am TXing, and it dims as battery voltage drops.

I have had MANY handhelds in 25 years. I have had bigger, smaller, lighter, heavier, and simpler. For hiking, I have not had better. The W-32A radio, HM-75a Mic, and military Camelbak HAWG is a tough combination to beat! Only downfall is changing batteries, got to take off the pack. JMHO! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I got a little yaesu vx-5, with a whole load of accessories. I'll probably take my code test next year... I'll probably tackle it with an attempt at the extra test.

This does look like fun though. Strangely enough I have two guys (one of them my boss) who have been doing amature radio for years, but it took coming here and reading through the posts to really decide I wanted to do this.

So I'm reviving my long dead EE curriculum when I study :-)

I'm just itching to turn the transmit lock off on my little ht :-)

-zr

-----

And Congrats to all the other new hams in this thread!

-zr

-----

I'm taking the test(s) next weekend. I've been consistently passing the Technician test on hamstuff.net with scores of 33-35 correct, so the confidence level is up there.

Looking forward to gettin on the air.

-

Congratulations to all those joining the HAM ranks and good luck to those almost there.

K6HTD

-UA

...Proudly ranked 620th in the state of California!

I am now kc8uzk!

Woo hoo!!

now to pass morse... already passed the general theory... and get some hf gear, and mount some antennas... and then... and ...

anybody have a money tree seed?

-----

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

I'm taking the test(s) next weekend. I've been consistently passing the Technician test on hamstuff.net with scores of 33-35 correct, so the confidence level is up there.

Looking forward to gettin on the air.

-

Good luck on the test makaio. Since you say tests, you must be going for the code? Way to go. At 5 WPM it's definitely achievable. I know you must live close by, maybe I'll see you on the air.

- waynem KD7SWM

Actually, by tests, I meant the Tech and General (assuming I pass Tech). I plan on studying for the code test, but I'm certainly not ready to take it yet.

My current need is for priveleges on the 2m and 6m bands for short distance communications for SAR (Search & Rescue) and other activities our offroad club is involved with, such as Course Monitoring and Emergency Assistance for the occasional Road Rallies held in Tillamook State Forest, etc. That and rag chewin with my friends without running up cell phone charges icon_smile.gif

Eventually, I'd like to hold an Extra license and be able to build a decent base station but that'll have to wait for awhile.

I'll post my results here on Monday.

btw, I live near Century High School, so we're only about 2 miles from each other.

...everyone who passed their tests.

I thought I was going to learn code by listening to tapes while on the road (I'm a truck driver). Well, I drive at night, and after the first five minutes of listening to that stuff I almost blanked out and ran into the ditch. Man, that sure isn't 'stay awake' stuff! So now I'm not sure HOW I'm going to learn code.

Actually, if I'm sitting here reading the forums instead of studying code, I guess it isn't the priority I'd like it to be huh...

And I still don't know where the connection between ham radio and geocaching comes in. About a month ago there was a combo geocaching/ham event near here (Reno area) with quite a turnout - of geocachers. A few hams came too, but it sure looked to me like an oil and water mix. Nice people all, but definitely there for different reasons.

I DID manage to get my wife to pass her no-code tech. And why? So we could have much better communications than our FRS HT's when out camping and hiking. 100 miles off a repeater sure beats 100 yards with our old over-priced Motorola Talk-a-bouts.

KD7LWL and KD7MXS

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

I know there are lots of ways out there to learn CW. Here's the one I used: G4FON CW Trainer. It starts you out with 2 characters, and sends CW for those characters in random order. Once you have those down, you add a character, until you have covered all the basics (alpha, numeric, and punctuation). Then you can switch from random characters to sample QSOs that are included in the zip file. You can also adjust the speed, add noise, chirp, etc. It worked for me!

And makaio, you don't need to wait for your extra to spend $$$ on a nice base icon_wink.gif. Your general gives you lots of HF priveledges.

Again, good luck on your test. I know you must be taking it from a different VE than I did, because I took it at the RA fire station, and their next one is December. So I can't tell you exactly to what to expect. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

- waynem

I'm also using that for Morse code training... I have also purchased the pocket morse program for the pocket pc... but i haven't been using it. There went $15... oh well I do like encouraging individuals to creat programs that I can use on my Ipaq, and don't mind paying them a bit for their efforts.

Learning morse is just practice, practice, practice... which I'm not doing a lot of, but I'll start doing it heavily next week. Need to start studying for Extra theory test as well. I changed majors to computer engineering from electrical engineering before ac circuit analysis. DC was all review... AC ... ick.

-ZR

-----

the Technician and General exams. The test site wasn't setup for the Morse Code exams (nor was I ready to take it), so I'll spend the next few months practicing and try and pass it and my Extra when I'm ready.

Looking forward to seeing my callsign posted. Now if I could only afford a radio...

-

Was at the test with makaio and passed the tech. test. I didn't feel like taking the general test since I don't know code and probably wouldn't have passed the written anyway. Now I just need to figure out how to get the $$$ for a radio. Oh yeah, and figure out what vanity to choose. icon_confused.gif

-Gloom

p.s. Dang! I just took a general test online and got 27/35, the minimum for passing! Not that that means I would have passed the real one, but if I had know I could have been that close I would have tried. I figure that's not bad for guessing on 75% of the questions.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

[This message was edited by Gloom on November 03, 2002 at 09:15 PM.]

Kudos to both of you on passing the exams! And go for the code! I just received an HF rig that I bought, and tonight I was listening to some CW on the air. Can't wait until I get an antenna up and I can try this out.

Oh, and now that I have blown my wad on an HT and an HF rig, I am having trouble locating my GPS icon_mad.gif. If it's not one thing it's another.

- waynem

I wanted to get a little more functionality & range than my frs, so I picked up a gmrs & paid the fcc $75.00 for a license to operate it legally. Seems to me, that getting my tech & going ham would have been a far better decision. Anyway, I'm planning on hooking up with a local club & going for the test. Just wondering why it seems that going ham gives you far more options as far as equipment & functionality, yet appears to cost far less to obtain a license. Any thoughts on this & suggestions on a decent handheld starter unit would be appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

While the cost of the license is certainly cheaper, the equipment isn't! I think the difference is the frequency bands on which you can legally transmit. There are far more options with Ham and you can transmit much farther distances with proper priveleges and equipment. I'm still new so I have alot of learning to do, but I can't wait to make my first long distance QSO.

It all depends on which bands you want to use,

but for a starter handheld, the Yaesu VX-5R seems to be the overwhelming choice for a first radio. IF you know you won't be using all these bands, you can get others (Yaesu, Alinco, ICOM, Kenwood) more suited to your taste.

Good luck with your studies/exam. I'm anxiously awaiting my license to be granted by the FCC...

-

Took my exams on Saturday, Nov 2 - license issued by the FCC today, Nov 7.

Our VEC's sent the exams and applications to the FCC by priority mail the day after the exam. The FCC processed them and assigned our licenses within 2 days of receiving them.

I am now an active licensed Technician with a callsign of KD7TGI. Now to find a good handheld and get in the air...

-

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Just wondering why it seems that going ham gives you far more options as far as equipment & functionality, yet appears to cost far less to obtain a license.

"Gimpy"

I have both ham and GMRS licenses and equipment. Ham give you far MORE options, for sure, but GMRS gives you two distinctly DIFFERENT options that are very important to me: 1. I can give a GMRS radio to my wife, who's a non-ham, and 2. I can conduct business on GMRS. Niether would be within regs on ham bands.

Oh, and a third thing, With GMRS I can interoperate with FRS radios and other non-hams.

ApK

in many cases its worth having both licenses... gmrs allows you (and your family members) to use gmrs frequencies under one license... so like others have said, you can hand the gmrs radio to your wife, son, or daughter and be well within the license terms. This can't be done with hams, gmrs can use repeaters like ham bands, frs can't. As has also been said you can use gmrs for business purposes as well. The only way you can think about using amature equipment for business use is if you work for someplace like the red cross... which arguably wouldn't be business.

-zr

-----

Thanks to all for the info. I've ordered my copy of "Now You're Talking", from the ARRL. I can take the test as soon as next Saturday, at a location 10 minutes from my house. I'm going to go to the next meeting being held by a club in my area. And, unless some of you more knowledgeable folk have a better suggestion, I plan on ordering the Yaesu VX-5R. There's currently an $80.00 rebate offer on the unit, bringing the price down to around $240.00. Thanks again for your input, & congrats to those of you that just got your license. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Wow, your call sign came through fast! Mine took about a week and a half. I'll be listening for you on the air. By the way, your choice of the VX-5R seems like a good one. I kind of like the Kenwood TH-F6 also, but the price makes the Yaesu a pretty clear winner to me. I haven't popped for one yet, but that's the one I plan to buy when I do (soon hopefully).

- wayne KD7SWM

quote:
Originally posted by waynem:

By the way, your choice of the VX-5R seems like a good one. I kind of like the Kenwood TH-F6 also, but the price makes the Yaesu a pretty clear winner to me. - wayne KD7SWM

FWIW, I went with the TH-F6, figuring I'd get the most versatility for my money. VX-5R is dual bander, the F6 is TRI bander, so I had that much more radio to play with.

I went with the Kenwood instead of the VX-7, the tri-band upgrade to the 5, because I already have some Kenwood accessories, and because several people told me I'd have more fun with the F6's 220 band than with the 7's 6-meter band...I'm not sure yet if they were right.

I'm enjoying the F6, at any rate. The dual recievers are pretty useful, and you can monitor, as one fellow said, "pretty much from DC to visible light" :-)

K2ApK

the Kenwood TH-F6 is defeintately a nice radio, and if it weren't for the additional price I might go that route too. Since I'll primarily be using mine for Jeep trips, camping, etc. the dual bander will suffice (for now). I've no doubt I'l upgrade and/or supplement later.

Gimpy - regarding the exams. After/during reading the book you have, I highly suggest you make use of the online practice exams (pick your favorite). The question pool is static, so if you take the practice exams enough times you naturally begin to memorize many of the questions/answers as well as learn to detect wording, format, etc of the questions to quickly eliminate qrong answers. I took the practice tests (Technician/General) at least 100 times each and felt completely at ease when it was time to take it for real.

Here are a few which should help. I prefer those which show you the entire test up front (versus one question at a time) which is more like the real test.

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/index.html

http://www.becomeaham.com/hamexam/

http://www.eham.net/exams/

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Good luck!

-

Thanks much, makaio. I'll make use of the links you provided. Also going to look at the Kenwood THF6A & try to make as much a comparison as I can. If it's worth the extra $80.00 or so, I'll go with it. I've got time to get feedback & suggestions from you veterans. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

So, wayne, now that I've got my license and have a Yaesu sitting beside me - do you monitor any 2m frequencies? I've been listening on the Portland and South Saddle repeaters but have yet to transmit (other than checking into the net on 147.320 this evening).

KD7TGI

-

Congratulations! I know it sure is a relief to get the official document in the mail. Keep studying.

Kyle KC7SXN

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Quote: Originally posted by makaio.

"now that I've got my license and have a Yaesu sitting beside me."

Makaio - Where did you pickup the Yaesu in the Portland area. I Just pass the Tech exam this evening and plan on picking up one.

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

So, wayne, now that I've got my license and have a Yaesu sitting beside me - do you monitor any 2m frequencies? I've been listening on the Portland and South Saddle repeaters but have yet to transmit (other than checking into the net on 147.320 this evening).

KD7TGI

-

I really haven't developed any kind of routine yet. I have spent more time listening than talking so far. I went to the hamfest at Rickreal in October and a friend introduced me to a bunch of guys that hang out on 147.04, so it seems like I listen to that one and 147.32 mostly.

And by the way (as I'm sure you are aware by now) the VX5R is also a tri band, not a dual as others have mentioned. It includes 6m, whereas the THF6 includes 220. The new Yaesu VX7R is a quad band. I figure what the heck. Any one of these radios is a fine rig and will give you a lot of good use. In my looking, it seems like the differences boil down to ease of programming and personal preferences. I hope you didn't buy the last VX5R, I plan to pick one up this week so I can take something with me to Denver next weekend.

- waynem KD7SWM

quote:
Originally posted by waynem:

And by the way (as I'm sure you are aware by now) the VX5R is also a tri band, not a dual as others have mentioned. It includes 6m, whereas the THF6 includes 220. The new Yaesu VX7R is a quad band.

Whoops, that's right! No wonder I had such a hard choice! icon_smile.gif

ApK

quote:

I am now kc8uzk!

Woo hoo!!

now to pass morse... already passed the general theory... and get some hf gear, and mount some antennas... and then... and ...

anybody have a money tree seed?

Congratulations!

I am now K8ARL (formerly KC8UEB, my bio on qrz.com). I teach ham classes. Code is easy. Better deal than it was when I first had my license 36 years ago.

You gave me a great idea for my first cache. I'll make sure you get the details when it is "planted."

porkmarconi

Congratulations.

Ham radio is one of the greatest hobbies on earth - and there are so many aspects to it.

Through the years I have converted WWII surplus, built my own gear, used top-of-the-line stuff right out of the box, worked DX, chewed the rag, experimented with digital modes, done contesting, had hidden antennas as well as towers and big antennas, done QRP and QRO - even set a record for the world's longest CW QSO . . . yet I feel I've hardly scratched the surface (for example, I've never got around to working VHF/UHF!).

So enjoy this great hobby and allow yourself to experiment with it all!

Roger W6LAX

Took my Tech exam this morning, & passed with no problem. icon_biggrin.gif . Examiner said I did so well, I should give the General a shot. A lot of the material in the General was really unfamiliar, so I didn't fare as well. But now I can concentrate on studying up for that. I took delivery on my Yaesu VX-5R, & am getting used to the functions & capabilities of the unit. Examiner said that by Thursday, I should be able to get my info off QRZ site & be off & running. Needless to say, I'll be reading up & studying the rules & regs a lot more before I start doing any transmitting, but I've got my start. Thanks to all here that supplied helpful info. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

Congrats Gimpy!

I have a vx-5 as well (along with all the cool extras... programming cable, car charger, rapid charger, aa battery pack, external mike, vox mike, etc...) I also got a little low profile 2 meter mag mount antenna for my car, so that I'm heard better on the air when driving... you might want to pick one up you can get them anywhere from 15 to $30 and they make a world of difference. A lot more intermod from pagers and stuff with an external antenna... but it's a cool little radio none the less :-)

-zr

-----

Congratulations to all the new Hams. It is exciting to see so many of the cachers get their Ham license. Having taken all of the exams a few years ago, I know how good it feels to pass and get that new license.

AC6LC

Quote from a famous pistolero, "You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight"

Congratulations! Way to go.

I remember when I passed my General, it was quite a feeling. I am now an Extra.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of being a Ham as I have. It is the greatest.

Michael

Ka7ple

Congrats to all new & upgraded hams. I was licensed long enough ago that I took the tech written at an FAA field office. Finally upgraded on 11/20/02 - was a general for about 5 minutes, now Extra class! Stumbled onto this geocaching thing a couple weeks ago on the ARRL website - now I'm running around looking for benchmarks.

Aloha,

Jim

Honolulu, HI

Has a nice ring to it, eh. Hasn't been posted on QRZ or FCC site yet, but fellow cacher & ham, "Wyzyrd", did some investigating & found it somewhere. Issued on the 26th, so should be up on one of the sites within a day or two. Now on to the General test, which is going to be given near me in 2 weeks. Can't wait. I've finally joined the ranks as a licensed ham. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

The first place it will show up is the FCC site, which it indeed has. A callsign search shows your information.

The other sites update their information from the FCC databases, so they will have the information soon.

-

Welcome...there are many exciting aspects to ham radio not just two meters ...check out radio contests and county or dx chasing....enjoy.k8kg