Geomate.jr (Manually input Coordinates?)

Well, here is a link to the user guide:

http://107.23.49.59/pdf/GeomatejrUsersGuide.pdf

I see nowhere in it about manually inputting coords for the Jr. I do have a Jr. that I bought for my grand daughter when I was not sure she would totally take care of a more expensive GPS. She quickly out grew it and started begging for a "real" gps like grandpa had. LOL!

There is no way to input coords or edit coords from the unit in the field that I know of.

The only things that I can think of that it is talking about is:

1. Just going out nearby and setting a "Home" position. Then come back and give it to the person and tell them to go find "Home".

2. (Using the end of life software) While on your PC manually edit the name,gc code, long and lat on a gpx file that you have downloaded using something like note pad. Then using the "end of life" software and your update kit reupload the edited gpx to the Jr.

Maybe I'm an idiot and have over looked a nifty thing about the Jr., but I do not think so.

Good Luck.

There is no way to edit geocaches that are currently in the Geomate Jr.

You can however load geocaches to the Geomate Jr. with out using the file from the web site. You can load a GC.com Pocket Query or create a GPX file for the Geocaches you want loaded using a program like GSAK. Then using the Geomate Jr. Upgrade kit and a PC App called geomateGUI, you can update your Geomate Jr. with new and local Geocaches.

It appears the geomateGUI app is no longer available for download from the internet (at least a quick google search came up with nothing but broken links). I have a copy of the app and if you would like a copy please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the file in zip format. Unzip it to your desktop and you'll be all set.

I use this methode to keep my grandkids Geomate Jr. up to date.

One thing to keep in mind, when you update the Geomate Jr. either from the web site or from the geomateGUI app. all Geocaches currently on the Geomate Jr. will be deleted.

You need to be a premium member to use the "update kit" for GSAK pqs.

- By the time you buy a geomate jr., an update kit and a premium membership, you could purchase a decent low-mid end GPSr (ebay anyone?) and be able to use it for years without relying on an iffy site to enter coordinates.

I was considering one of these once for traveling, thinking it might be a simpler solution for a person (me) with problems figuring GSAK for pqs and planned routes in unfamiliar areas.

- Then I noticed that to really get it to function the way I wanted was to purchase an "update kit" that I feel should have been included with it in the first place.

Searching for geomate jr. reviews showed reviews from 2009 an '10. Adding the years '11 and '12 to the search, "new site problems" and "don't buy" was the common opening line.

- And I didn't.

I'd be better off with my very slow learning curve of figuring GSAK and pqs in my GPSr.