Your geocaching essentials!

TnT7686

Here's some general information:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Things_to_bring_in_the_woods

Personally, I always have my Android phone with Neongeo, multiple pens that can write on anything (gel pens, Sharpies, Fisher Space pens), personal signature tokens, small trade items to leave in exchange for others' personal signature tokens, replacement log sheets printed on weatherproof paper, a small LED flashlight, hand sanitizer, and various pocket items like ID, keys, and a Leatherman Micra. Everything else depends on where I'm going. But I do a lot of suburban geocaching.

[edit: grammar]

Edited by niraD

Cell phone, car keys. Knife, gun, duct tape, kevlar vest, rope, handcuffs, carpet....oh wait. Ignore all of that. Keys phone, GPSr, FAK, Pens/markers.

Carpet? Clearly you are doing a different kind of caching than I am! :laughing::ph34r:

Edit:

The caching bag has the 10 essentials, the gps, our wooden nickles, trackables, string, magnets, washers, Gerber, and a spiral notebook for keeping track of finds.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

We have a backpack with:

• Travel Bugs and Geocoins
  • Several pens and sharpies
  • Our geoswag to distribute
  • leatherman multi tool
  • telescoping magnet
  • several sizes of zip locs from 1.25"x1.25" up to 4"x4" for cache maintenance
  • replacement logs from 1" wide to 3 or 4" wide
  • replacement cache log books
  • flashlights

I take the backpack out of the car when we aren't caching as I would feel terrible if I lost someone's travelbugs/geocoins to theft.

Edited by fbingha

For a while I had a grab bag, but I found I didn't use it enough to justify bothering with it. Now I just carry what I use in my pockets: multiple pens, a small notebook, 8" tweezers, 32" hook, small flashlight. I never carried those things before I started caching, but now I find I use them all the time even when I'm not caching. On the other hand, I've always carried a cellphone, but I didn't consider it caching equipment and never thought I'd use it specifically for caching, but now taking pictures with it while caching is what I use it for most often.

I carry a tott kit in the cargo packet of my pants. It contains, Two gel pens, two metal hooks on 4 inch metal handles( type used by mechanics and gunsmiths), a pen light, a magnet on a 24 inch collapsable handle, a 3 1/2 inch inspection mirror on a 24 in colapsable handle, and a leatherman. These items all fit in a cordura multi pocket with a velcro beltloop on it. I also have a sling daypack containing a longsleeved shirt, swag, signature items, spare batteries, flash lights, ducttape, first aid kit, string, replacement logs, various size ziplock bags, 550 cord. I also use a NUVI 500 when driving to a cache site and a Android phone and a Garmin GPSmap62sc atGZ. The sling pack stays in my GEO truck with my wifes and my walking sticks.

I have a eagle creek fanny pack that I have converted with a sholder strap and keep in the car. It has a GPS, a white face cloth for drying out wet caches, tweezers, log roller, personal sig items, swag, cache repair kit, a bottle of water, altiod smalls, pens a spare set of reading glasses, and my hit list on 3x5 index cards. I also keep a gallon of drinking water in the frige and bring it out when I go for a day long cache run.

Just starting out and pretty much doing Park and grabs, but this is what I make sure I have along.

Cellphone, GPSr, Extra batteries, small flash light, HUGE Flashlight, 2 gels pens, small notebook, a few swag items, microfiber towel, couple of multi-tools, and gloves.

With the exception of the HUGE Flashlight(Dive Lantern) I can fit these all in pockets and grab what I need to when I get out of the car.

Things I plan to add very soon; Duct tape, baggies, some hooks, mirror, log sheets, magnets.

I will be moving this stuff to my camelbak when the spring rolls around and I start doing some hikes.

You guys travel light! <_<

To all of the above items I add: 150’ rope coil, ice axe, carabiners, avalanche beacon, friction hitch, mechanical ascenders, and the all-important UV light. I leave the hangglider on the roof of my cachemobile.

Actually, all the suggestions are great - depending on the location. For example, if it's a park-&-grab and I've seen the satellite photo and there is exactly one lightpost near GZ, then I take 1 item only: a pen!

Happy caching, all! :rolleyes:

Usually on me:

GPSr

Pen

Tweezers

Flashlight

A credit card sized piece of 1/8th inch plastic I made to sign logs on

Gloves

Compass

Mirror on extending handle

Small container with various sized log sheets and a couple of different sized baggies

Knife

In the car:

Straightened out wire coat hangar with small hook bent on the end

Tool I made out of an extending broom handle for a local series hidden in the top of signposts

Fishing lure box with various containers, log sheets, baggies, scissors, batteries and zip ties

Rubber boots

Step ladder

As wmpastor said, some caches require only the pen

Edited by SoonerSoftail

Ah - glad to see item 3! Since November when I started caching in earnest I look like a rose gardener / self-harmer, permanent scratches on my hands. Am going to get some cycling gloves.

Otherwise - smartphone with stored caches on c:geo (it's amazing how many areas in rural England there's no signal to pick up the live map);

Pen

Walking shoes live in the car - always did but get a lot more use now

Some of OS Jr's unwanted plastic toys so he can trade

That really is it. I always take a map on country walks but smartphone technology is ample for urban stuff. Nearly needed tweezers once or twice but not quite!

Ah - glad to see item 3! Since November when I started caching in earnest I look like a rose gardener / self-harmer, permanent scratches on my hands. Am going to get some cycling gloves.

Otherwise - smartphone with stored caches on c:geo (it's amazing how many areas in rural England there's no signal to pick up the live map);

Pen

Walking shoes live in the car - always did but get a lot more use now

Some of OS Jr's unwanted plastic toys so he can trade

That really is it. I always take a map on country walks but smartphone technology is ample for urban stuff. Nearly needed tweezers once or twice but not quite!

First aid kit as well I carry one of those with bite/ itch cream for stinging nettles and bug bites I also have anti histamines and ibuprofen in my bag.

FAK stays in the car (I know sorry not that smart but it is quite big)

this is ALWAYS in my CAR, will take out only when needed :

one backpack with robes and full tree climb equipment, grigri, ascender, harness.

another backpack with lightweight 6m robeladder and 20m robe,

3 different types of tent sticks, 6m each

different add on tools for the end of the sticks

metal parts to be used to construct on site special tools when needed,

magnets, tape, multi hand tool, sizzor, paper, geocache containers

on 99.9% of the cases I leave the car and all the equipment, and run or walk the last bit to the cache,

I bring as little as possible equipment for the first recon trip,

maybe also grap the cache in first trip if possible,

unless I expect worse from cache page or logs.

on those 99% walks, I bring only :

GPS, Cellphone, ballpen, thinn parmanent marker, headlight, powerfull flashlight, spare batteries

THAT IS ALL.. if I need anything else, I need to get back to car, or improvice at GZ

I do a lot of urban caching. And I have a ton of caches around me and I'm finding that I get in and out of my car a LOT. So I searched and searched for a bag. I'd looked at the maxpedition bags but thought they were too bulky. I don't want a bag I have to take off ever two miles when I get back in my car. I ordered a KangaTek sling, it should be here in two days, I'm so excited. It's perfect for hands free, in and out of the car caching. I do have a sling backpack for the all day hike.

Things I never cache without:

Gps on a lanyard

Rechargeable batteries (2 extra sets)

tweezers

small lighter

extra ink pens

FAK(small)

HandySak (these are awesome, they're like $1 at the checkout counter, and packed small, 10 in a pack, great for space saving)

notebook

zip-lock bags

mini LED flashlight, and extra AAA batteries for it

Nano log roller

Tick Key

A retractable ink pen on a carabiner that's attached to my pack for easy access

But repellent

hand sanitizer

Pocket knife

Bottled water

swag and trade items

phone charger

Technu - found in pharmacy, it's great stuff, you put it on before you go in the woods and it prevents you from getting poison ivy

kleenex

does anyone have any feedback on the camelbacks?? I have a sling backpack for the all day hikes, but if I fill it with water I have room for nothing else. I was thinking of a camelback but didn't think it'd have enough storage. I was thinking about getting one and couple it with my KangaTek sling. I just don't want to buy one if it's not gonna be easy and out of my way.

On my person,

Flashlight, knife, pen, sidearm, spare mags, ecig, ecig fluids, wallet, keys, iPhone with geocaching apps, GPS with belt case, occasionally 2m/70cm HT radio.

In geobag.

Spare batteries for everything, spare cache containers (micro, small and regular) cache placement items (magnets, logs, split rings, tape etc) hand sanitizer, first aid kit, UV light, UV pen, regular pens, cache sized pencils, multi tool, tweezers, metal picks, trade items, trackable (active and inactive) small tool kit, spare chargers (iPhone and GPS) searching stick (expandable baton) extra flashlight, water, notebook, quick deploy paracord wraps, hand warmers, gloves. And depending on my sidearm possibly extra ammo.

Geobag will usually stay with the geo-vehicle of choice unless I'm going to be wondering away from it a good distance.

darenE k7dne

Shoulder bag

GPS

pen

notebook

camera

swag items, grouped by size

first aid kit

cleaning brush

sunscreen

water bottle

(if in applicable area) hunting rifle + ammo

multitool

flashlight

smaller pens - handy swag for caches with no writing instruments

knife

big icebox

The icebox is the silly part. After encountering a 1-star difficulty cache that was evidently easy for someone two feet taller than I was, with nothing I could climb on, on the way back from a hunt, I ended up grabbing the icebox full of meat from my car and using it as a footstool. Since then, I take the empty icebox to taller urban caches and can sit down next to it and look like a picnicker if muggles are watching.

Edited by storchburp

Backpack

Snacks/water

Asprin

GPS

Pen

TB's

hat & hoodie

Swag (not the kind those annoying kids talk about)

Cellphone

If its deep woods caching I add a first aid kit and sometimes a machete. Most of the stuff I do is in urban parks. I should buy small a first aid kit for all caching really :/

Edited by DannyCaffeine

Well we have only been caching since the new year and still building our equipment but so far, FaK, phone/GPS, bags, Pens, pencils, Swiss knife, para cord key rings, survival bracelet, Cig's great anti muggle equipment

I have a list and a half of stuff I need though.

I have a daypack for in town caching and a backpack for in the Hills caching

The daypack has:

2 pens and a notebook

swag

2 flashlights

1 or 2 bottles of water

snacks

keys

cell

gun

baseball cap

hoodie

money

walking stick

GPS and extra batteries

The backpack has the above plus:

2 more bottles of water

rain coat

camping toilet paper

flint and steel

folding camping shovel

straps

first aid kit

orange vest (fall and winter use)

extra magazine for gun

Edited by Notmykl

I have a bag I carry. Pen, flashlight, UV light, magnetic pointer, spare batteries, battery charger, spare log sheets, maybe a small cache container such as a film can, magnifier, pathtags, etc. trade items. maybe a zip lock with tb's that I might be trying to place. etc.

Not much actually, usually just keep a bag with a pen and pencil, some gloves in case of poisonous plants, a flashlight, and a few pieces of geoswag in the car in case of spontaneous caching urges. Other than that I just keep my cell and wallet on me.

Edited by JKMonkey

You guys travel light! <_<

To all of the above items I add: 150’ rope coil, ice axe, carabiners, avalanche beacon, friction hitch, mechanical ascenders, and the all-important UV light. I leave the hangglider on the roof of my cachemobile.

Actually, all the suggestions are great - depending on the location. For example, if it's a park-&-grab and I've seen the satellite photo and there is exactly one lightpost near GZ, then I take 1 item only: a pen!

Happy caching, all! :rolleyes:

What would the UV light be for caching?

What would the UV light be for caching?
Some night caches use fluorescent inks and paints to create clues that are visible only under UV light in the dark.

Also, some camouflage is very obvious under UV light. So UV lights are useful for some caches that aren't night caches.

When you go out caching what are the essentials? Do you have a back pack with all your tools ready to grab at all times? Do you just keep all of your items in your car? :anicute:

I have two different packs but I use both for just hiking. As for what I carry.... Flashlight, Swiss knife, utility knoife, tweezers, red nail polish, red electrical tape, extendable inspection mirror, assorted caches, extra logs/plastic bags, twist tie material, notebook, tissues, extra batteries/battery cell, we wipes, folding reading glasses, iPad, Garmin. Used to carry some epoxy till i had a minor leak and decided i didnt want a major one.