New Smiley Faces

FredPhil96

The smiley faces have been changed again. I loved the original ones and I was fine with the ones before. But the colors used in these new smilies do not look good on Google Maps. Please bring back the old ones.

Edit: The smiley faces in the cache listing actually look fine. They just don't go well with the maps.

Edited by FredPhil96

I agree completely. Please change back to the old smiley faces on the maps to make my day tomorrow happy again - the colors just don't match to the rest of the map. They are completely different to all the other symbols and it's much harder to see which ones I found and which ones not...

The smiley faces have been changed again.

Yeah, it looks like the software-development ADHD has kicked in again.

I don't see much of a problem with the new-new smiley, but we'll have to start over with getting used to it. I see they also added some consistency by making the "Attended" double-smiley yellow to match the "Found it" smiley (10.png), but "Webcam photo taken", another type of find, is still grey (11.png). They've also added a pencil to the "Write note" icon (4.png).

I'm not seeing the problem either. What maps, what icons, what browser, etc. cause the problem?

I'm using Firefox 17.0.1. I see these new icons when I go to the "search from the map" link on the "Hide and Seek a Geocache" page.

Same icon is now on the list when I search by postal code, denoting a cache I have found.

The smiley faces have been changed again. I loved the original ones and I was fine with the ones before. But the colors used in these new smilies do not look good on Google Maps. Please bring back the old ones.

Edit: The smiley faces in the cache listing actually look fine. They just don't go well with the maps.

What map? Why don't they go well?

Remember you have a choice of either Google or Leaflet maps and as the Leaflet maps are open source I suspect they may look different in different parts of the world.

The smiley I'm seeing looks OK on any of the maps I can see.

The original was still the best. As I said before, it showed talent by the designer.

a3ed51f2-7d40-49c3-9e12-2558b47eae2a.jpg

What's so hard about bringing that back? Does somebody else own the copyright?

The new ones are pretty close, and I certainly prefer them to the flat ones that are the current ones on cache pages for found logs.

Does anyone else have crooked smileys?

map.png?x=2603&y=5606&z=14&k=3nbJ&st=qDiWY6upqWXbXZlIm9Lx594jcJFXLF1_N7AVIEI2O5EkNq_CW_vE3Bprvq_GfegqF3xlWztKdCq47O8zqloLJA2&ep=1

Notice that the icon isn't centered in the square or the PMO circle.

If I zoom out, though, I still see the nice soft yellow smileys.

map.png?x=1301&y=2803&z=13&k=3nbJ&st=qDiWY6upqWXbXZlIm9Lx594jcJFXLF1_N7AVIEI2O5EkNq_CW_vE3Bprvq_GfegqF3xlWztKdCq47O8zqloLJA2&ep=1

The smileys are off center inside the white area of the icon. Not a fan of the new smiley. I guess I will have to keep myself from zooming in to avoid seeing them. They're turning into facebook. Making updates to simple things that could just be left alone.

Does anyone else have crooked smileys?

map.png?x=2603&y=5606&z=14&k=3nbJ&st=qDiWY6upqWXbXZlIm9Lx594jcJFXLF1_N7AVIEI2O5EkNq_CW_vE3Bprvq_GfegqF3xlWztKdCq47O8zqloLJA2&ep=1

Notice that the icon isn't centered in the square or the PMO circle.

If I zoom out, though, I still see the nice soft yellow smileys.

map.png?x=1301&y=2803&z=13&k=3nbJ&st=qDiWY6upqWXbXZlIm9Lx594jcJFXLF1_N7AVIEI2O5EkNq_CW_vE3Bprvq_GfegqF3xlWztKdCq47O8zqloLJA2&ep=1

The smileys are off center inside the white area of the icon. Not a fan of the new smiley. I guess I will have to keep myself from zooming in to avoid seeing them. They're turning into facebook. Making updates to simple things that could just be left alone.

AGREE 100% Every change can and almost always will add new bugs. Why change something that works fine and is so minor that it can't be improved anyway?

WHY?? The new faces are bu%* UGLY. CHANGE THEM BACK!!

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but my first reaction was, "they uglyed up the map". It just makes it look cluttered. The same icon, but much bigger, is is now on the public profiles next to the find count, and I really like it. It just looks bulky when you condense it down to 16 pixels.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

This is affecting the enjoyment of finding the cache how?

I'm not finding caches when I'm looking at the map on my PC. I'm not sure what your comment has to do with the topic. If they changed them to swastikas, it would have nothing to do with the enjoyment of finding a cache, yet it would still generate discussion. No?

I will get used to these quickly. It's no big deal, and they certainly do not lack contrast like the grey icons, which I will never get used to.

Am I crazy, or did they also switch the "Archived" and "Needs Archive" icons around?

I switched them out as soon as Lil' Devil gave us the Greasemonkey script. I remember that I kept the red filing cabinet for Archived as I liked that one. It seems to be the one that they are using. I couldn't tell you about Needs Archived.

Am I crazy, or did they also switch the "Archived" and "Needs Archive" icons around?

I switched them out as soon as Lil' Devil gave us the Greasemonkey script. I remember that I kept the red filing cabinet for Archived as I liked that one. It seems to be the one that they are using. I couldn't tell you about Needs Archived.

Looked to me like they swapped the Archived (was cabinet) and Needs Archived (was red folder with down arrow)...

Looked to me like they swapped the Archived (was cabinet) and Needs Archived (was red folder with down arrow)...

Are you saying that you see the file cabinet for Needs Archive? I turned off my script and refreshed and I see the folder for Needs Archived and the file cabinet for Archived.

Are you saying that you see the file cabinet for Needs Archive? I turned off my script and refreshed and I see the folder for Needs Archived and the file cabinet for Archived.

Yes.

I've refreshed and cleared the cache and still get the same results. Now, Archived is the folder, and NA is the cabinet.

Edit to add photo

a50c356e-891a-4072-980e-735681432409.png?rnd=0.8674738

Edited by NeverSummer