Logging a multi - at the end or at each new location?

tweetiepy

In a previous thread I posted about a multi-cache that I've returned to about 5 times so far trying to get to the next set of coordinates

When I look at my GPS screen (Magellan 310) on this route it says the name of the cache at the top and it has 4 or 5 little "bubbles" next to it (I'm presuming that these are there to indicate a multi). Once I get to the first location, I find a bar code and do some calculations which give me a direction & distance to the next set of coordinates - once I get to this second set of coords - do I log something? or do I do a "found it" when I get to the very end? I know if I don't find the logbook I haven't technically found the cache and I'm okay with that but do I have to log each location as well or just the end cache? The reason I ask is I have to "leave" the current route (on my GPS) when i enter the new bearing & distance and start a "new" trail. so technically at the end of the road, I'm no longer in the original route - is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to do this?

In a previous thread I posted about a multi-cache that I've returned to about 5 times so far trying to get to the next set of coordinates

When I look at my GPS screen (Magellan 310) on this route it says the name of the cache at the top and it has 4 or 5 little "bubbles" next to it (I'm presuming that these are there to indicate a multi). Once I get to the first location, I find a bar code and do some calculations which give me a direction & distance to the next set of coordinates - once I get to this second set of coords - do I log something? or do I do a "found it" when I get to the very end? I know if I don't find the logbook I haven't technically found the cache and I'm okay with that but do I have to log each location as well or just the end cache? The reason I ask is I have to "leave" the current route (on my GPS) when i enter the new bearing & distance and start a "new" trail. so technically at the end of the road, I'm no longer in the original route - is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to do this?

You log a "found it" when you put pen/pencil to a logbook. The physical logbook/logscroll will be the final for any type of cache.

Only log a find oinline if you sign the logbook.

If you get stumped and cannot find one of the stages of a multicache, you can log a "Did Not Find." I would suggest that you should.

If you do not complete a multicache, but it's not because you looked and couldn't find one of the stages, you can log "Write Note," but you don't have to. Did something unexpected or unusual happen, or did you just run out of time?

Log "Found It" only after you find the final stage and sign the physical logbook.

I agree: You don't log "Found It" until you find the final cache and sign the log.

For one particular multi-cache, I logged 4 Notes as I worked on various stages. Each time I posted a new log (either another Note or my eventual Find), I copy-pasted the previous Note into the new log, and then deleted the previous Note. My eventual Find log included everything I wrote in the previous Notes.

But you could also leave the Notes as is, instead of incorporating and deleting them. I merged them into the eventual Find log because I didn't want to clutter the cache history with so many logs from one person.

Or you could wait until you find the final cache. Plenty of people take that approach.

And I'm sure some would log DNFs for each attempt. I wouldn't do that unless I actually searched unsuccessfully for a stage. It doesn't make sense to me to log a DNF when I found everything I planned to search for on that trip.

*Generally speaking, a multi-cache will only have one log. It will be in the final stage. That's what you are looking for, and once you've found it, then you can log the cache as "found".

No matter how many stages or what you have to do to find each stage and then the final, a multi-cache is one cache, with one unique GC code. If you log "found" for each stage, you will be logging "found it" for the same GC code over and over again.

Some folks, in confusion or misunderstanding of the concept, log "found it" if they find the first stage and nothing else.

*Generally speaking, you will need to input new coordinates for each stage as you find them.

*Generally speaking = someone will always post an exception to whatever was posted after "generally speaking". :D

B.

If I find a stage of a multi, but decide not to continue, I probably wouldn't log anything.

If I fail to find a stage, it might be a note...or a DNF depending if I was planning on continuing, and the number of stages involved.

Some cache owners think they can require that you sign a log at each stage, which is an ALR and not allowed/is not enforceable.

So if I,m doing a multi, I'll have to "exit" out of the original cache info on the GPS to input the next coord - then when I find the cache itself, I return to the original cache info to log found it right? Generally speaking :o

I just edit the original waypoint and then mark that found in the GPS when I find it.

The newer Garmins have a feature for "Next Stage" that lets you input...wait for it...the next stage. It's convenient, because it gives you access to the cache information (logs, hints, etc.) without having to switch back and forth between waypoint and geocache screens.

All true, but... Those of us with less than paperless capability SHOULD make sure that we keep our notebook pads handy and complete. That can help with not having to return to a stage to check information or simply start out again on the next one. That is especially true if you are doing field calculations to determine the next coordinates. I never delete or alter waypoints for the stages, but create new ones for stages as I go. Later perhaps, once I've found the final and signed it. IF you delete one you have to start over from scratch to get that back. Besides which navigation back to a vehicle can be helped by finding familiar territory in many cases.

Not always of course, and there are always tracks of course to follow back.

Doug 7rxc

The newer Garmins have a feature for "Next Stage" that lets you input...wait for it...the next stage. It's convenient, because it gives you access to the cache information (logs, hints, etc.) without having to switch back and forth between waypoint and geocache screens.

Keep in mind that this function only works if you don't start another multi before finishing the current one. The "Next stage" is just a single built-in waypoint. For example, if you only got to stage 2 on one cache but couldn't finish it (it's really far away, light's fading, etc.), then started to work on another cache and got to stage 2, your "Next stage" from the first cache will be overwritten. I do as 7rxc does: record all information and create separate waypoints for additional stages. Yes, it does make it more inconvenient to access the description or hints, but you don't have to worry about losing your place in a multi. It's also a good idea to keep a record of the stages and finals in case you ever want to hide a cache in that area. Your cache would need to be 528 feet/161 metres from each of these stages and finals, so knowing where they are ahead of time will save you a lot of headache.

Absolutely agree with both of you. I write down all my stage information for that reason. (And, as big as the numbers were on the Oregon and are on the Montana, I still fat finger the occasional coordinate.)

Heck, I've never gone completely paperless, I write down caches found, DNFs, needs maintenance, TBs, field notes, etc. I just try to do it all on the same sheet of paper.