Garmin Chirp?

TnT7686

Ok, so I was looking for a data cable for my Garmin etrex H (yeah I know it's not the best but I love it) when I came across a link for something called a Garmin chirp. From what I gathered from the video, you place it in your cache and when a Garmin device is near it starts chirping or maybe your GPS starts chirping...obviously I was a bit confused by the product. The device acts as a beacon of sorts. With all that confusion aside, what are your thoughts on this type of device? The product was made specifically for geocaching which is cool but I wonder if it takes the thrill of the hunt away. Here is the link to the video! I'm still undecided. Thoughts? Comments!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811

:anibad:

I recently did my first Chirp cache in the Tucson, AZ area http://coord.info/GC2HZYR It was fun and I saw a lot of potential for it. The biggest issue is that it excludes anyone who doesn't have a chirp-capable GPSr.

Once my Garmin picked up the chirp signal, the chirp sent back updated coordinates for the next stage of the cache. It was basically a two-stage multi. As I understand it, the chirp is pretty limited in what you can program in it.

For starters, you'll need a Chirp-compatible GPS to program the Chirp. The Etrex H is not, so you'll need to invest in a new GPS if you want to have a Chirp. I suppose you could borrow someone else's, but the Chirp will be tied permanently to that GPS, so make sure it's someone that'll be around if you need to reprogram it.

A list of Chrip-compatible GPS's can be found here.

I recently did my first Chirp cache in the Tucson, AZ area http://coord.info/GC2HZYR It was fun and I saw a lot of potential for it. The biggest issue is that it excludes anyone who doesn't have a chirp-capable GPSr.

Once my Garmin picked up the chirp signal, the chirp sent back updated coordinates for the next stage of the cache. It was basically a two-stage multi. As I understand it, the chirp is pretty limited in what you can program in it.

Did you feel like it could take anything away from Geocaching itself? Or do you think this is something that will over all improve our experience? I think it is neat as well. As you said a down fall could be people being excluded but I guess it just makes it easier to find for those with the chirp its not at though its the only way to find the cache. Good input thanks! Glad to know that someone has already had an experience. I live over in Germany for now so I don't think it will make it's way over here anytime soon!

You know, now that I look at the cache you provided a link for I am not so hot on this chirp thing. Only for the fact that it can only be found if you have the right GPS. Doesn't seem very fair.

For starters, you'll need a Chirp-compatible GPS to program the Chirp. The Etrex H is not, so you'll need to invest in a new GPS if you want to have a Chirp. I suppose you could borrow someone else's, but the Chirp will be tied permanently to that GPS, so make sure it's someone that'll be around if you need to reprogram it.

A list of Chrip-compatible GPS's can be found here.

Yeah I figured my GPS wouldn't work with it. That's fine. My husband has a nicer GPS than me and his would be compatable if we ever came across one of these buggers! So what are your thoughts on the device?

So what are your thoughts on the device?

I've found 4 chirp caches. I can't say I understand why they excite people. All four of those caches could have a physical stage with coords for the final, which would make them findable by all, instead of a just sub-set of Garmin owners.

I guess I don't find the fact of wireless transmission to be "gee whiz" anymore ;-) It's been around since radio....

The first chirp I found was placed April 2011, and the device died in 14 months. Owner archived the cache. The second was placed 01/06/2011, and the battery died in Dec 2012. Cache owner couldn't find a battery. Cache is still disabled.

I have no idea what the claimed or expected life is supposed to be.

The most recent Chirp I found was done such that you could receive the signal, or work a regular set of physical stages. I like this variation better, anyone who wants to can find this, and when the beacon fails, he's still got a multi-cache.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I don't own a compatible GPSr. I am unlikely to own a compatible GPSr any time soon. Unless I can tag along with someone who owns such a GPSr, I won't be able to complete a chirp cache. If a chirp cache appears within my "blast radius", then I'll just ignore it.

I don't like them. They are tied to a specific vendor (Garmin) who has not opened up the API.

For cute techie-like caches of that sort, QR codes are better, since they are an established standard and do not require specialized hardware. There are also some cute things one should be able to do nowadays with wifi or NFC that are widely adopted on smart phones.

I don't like them. They are tied to a specific vendor (Garmin) who has not opened up the API.

For cute techie-like caches of that sort, QR codes are better, since they are an established standard and do not require specialized hardware. There are also some cute things one should be able to do nowadays with wifi or NFC that are widely adopted on smart phones.

Agreed. Love the few QR caches I've found, and I would like to throw Wherigo in the ring as well. You can use most smartphones (soon to be all smartphones) and several Garmin brand gps'. They're also more versatile, the only downside is that they are more difficult to program.

Well, some thought Chirp would revolutionize geocaching... BUt it really hasn't caught on. Kinda like Wherigo -- some folks love them, but not many against the whole of Geocaching.

There are few than a hundred Chirp caches in all of Canada -- and none within a hundred miles of the last cache find listed in your profile.

So - unless you're interested in chasing something special and rare, I wouldn't make Chirp compatibility a determining factor in what GPS you buy.

Edited by user13371
The device acts as a beacon of sorts. With all that confusion aside, what are your thoughts on this type of device?

It’s not exactly a beacon, although that’s the term used on Geocaching.com. The Chirp waits for a signal from a GPSr, then sends data, the name for the next stage and Coordinates to the next stage, which the GPSr saves as a new waypoint. The Chirp also logs how many times this has been accessed. Only certain Garmin GPSrs can use the Chirp.

It’s a digital version of “coordinates to the next stage” of a Multi. It has a range of about 50 feet, so you could walk along a trail, and get the waypoint, go to another trail, get the new waypoint. The Chirp is supposed to be hidden in a way that won’t be found, so it can be inside a holly bush or wherever people are least likely to want to hunt for it.

If I set up a Chirp cache, I'd need two for each waypoint, so I could quickly swap one out, for battery changes or whatever, clean it up, test it, get it ready for the next swap. Do that at least once a year (maybe every 6 months just to be on the safe side). It's likely a maintenance-intensive type of cache. There aren't always a lot of ideal hiding spots -- I don't want the thing to be found. And range & reception is an issue. One of my Chirps only works at about 15 feet. People need to be able to easily get the data.

There also needs to be some value to using Chirp rather than a tag that has the coordinates written on it. Maybe some animal sanctuary wouldn't want cachers leaving the trail, yet would allow Chirp. It may be perfect in a particular case.

I have a Chirp car Trackable -- there's no visible Tracking Number. That's the only thing I've used it for. When I'm satisfied with the performance in temperature changes, and know the battery life, I'll think about making a cache.

Edited by kunarion

Ok, so I was looking for a data cable for my Garmin etrex H (yeah I know it's not the best but I love it) when I came across a link for something called a Garmin chirp. From what I gathered from the video, you place it in your cache and when a Garmin device is near it starts chirping or maybe your GPS starts chirping...obviously I was a bit confused by the product. The device acts as a beacon of sorts. With all that confusion aside, what are your thoughts on this type of device? The product was made specifically for geocaching which is cool but I wonder if it takes the thrill of the hunt away. Here is the link to the video! I'm still undecided. Thoughts? Comments!

https://buy.garmin.c...op.do?pID=74811

I posted this question in general first before I saw this bored. Sorry if you are seeing this a second time! :anicute::huh:

It seems to me like a solution desperately searching for a problem.

You could always do an intercache instead (www.intercaching.com) which allows you to do similar things as a chirp, and it works on any modern smart phone, and there is no cost of a chirp to buy or maintain. It's still in beta, so expect some bugs. Email me if you want more details.

It's surprising they are 'allowed' as they are limited to a small number of cachers. Even Wherigo caches can be got around with free software for smartphones but there's no way for people who don't have access to a Garmin Colorado or Oregon to find these. One placed locally was found so infrequently the CO gave the coords to people at an event to boost the find numbers I heard. A back up QR code would be nice alternative.

• Upvote 1

How I see it, chirp caches are a less complicated Wherigo. Only available to those with the right gps/smartphone (in Wherigo's case) and could be hidden as a multicache if stages were put out. However, I like wherigos since they can be far more in depth and offer a very unique experience. I like chirps as well, though they are quite expensive for the lifespan that an owner can get out of them.

In regards to it holding up to the elements and the weather - I keep mine hidden in an evergreen in a camouflaged pill bottle. The battery has only been replaced in it once since Oct. 2010. That was Feb. of this year and I simply did it because I was readjusting the final location - it could have probably gone longer. It's located in Michigan and we have plenty of days and nights here through the winter months with temperatures below freezing. It seems to hold up nicely.

Oh the cache I'm referring to is here: http://coord.info/GC2G1WW

-ClimbGuy

I don't own a compatible GPSr. I am unlikely to own a compatible GPSr any time soon. Unless I can tag along with someone who owns such a GPSr, I won't be able to complete a chirp cache. If a chirp cache appears within my "blast radius", then I'll just ignore it.

Groundspeak guidelines require that all Chirp caches (except Unknown type Chirp caches) must be findable by geocachers without a Chirp-enabled GPSr. In a multi-cache, for example, Waypoint 1 can have a Chirp that broadcasts the final coordinates, but non-Chirp geocachers also must must be able to find that information.

I think I've found about six Chirps, none of which were Unknown types.

Groundspeak guidelines require that all Chirp caches (except Unknown type Chirp caches) must be findable by geocachers without a Chirp-enabled GPSr. In a multi-cache, for example, Waypoint 1 can have a Chirp that broadcasts the final coordinates, but non-Chirp geocachers also must must be able to find that information.

I think I've found about six Chirps, none of which were Unknown types.

That is good news!

But, are the requirements retroactive?

Are owners required to meet these requirements or have their caches archived?

Found one chirp cache (when we discovered that the etrex 30 is chirp compatible.) Had a little trouble getting the GPS to get the chirp, but it finally workder. But, after two years, the batery in the chirp seems to have died. Went looking for another, also two years old. The battery on that one seems dead too. I did enjoy the one we found. But battery life seems to be about two years.

Those have been the requirements since the week when chirps hit the market.

If a cache owner doesn't provide an alternate solution method, then the reviewer forces them to classify the cache as the "unknown/puzzle" cache type. That's all.

The "beacon cache" guideline is one of three examples where volunteer cache reviewers are asked to enforce the use of an attribute (the "beacon" attribute).

Those have been the requirements since the week when chirps hit the market.

If a cache owner doesn't provide an alternate solution method, then the reviewer forces them to classify the cache as the "unknown/puzzle" cache type. That's all.

The "beacon cache" guideline is one of three examples where volunteer cache reviewers are asked to enforce the use of an attribute (the "beacon" attribute).

Thank you.

I would have sworn there were some that were listed as multi-caches, but I guess not (in Arizona, anyway).

I have placed one chirp cache. It's probably my least popular cache.

The number of potential finders is less, so you should expect fewer finds -- unless you thought it would attract Garmin users from other areas. :anitongue:

But looking at Climbguy's cache (link above this post), and a local Chirp cache, there are few DNFs, mostly Finds, generally positive logs, and a reasonable number of finds (a lot more than I'd expect). These are caches that have no alternate way to find the cache (as far as I can tell). That was one of the things delaying my Chirp cache: Coming up with another option for finding the cache if the Chirp was a problem.