Blast from the past

el10t

I followed the launch and unfortunate track of the mission. Hope he does try again! His caches are still in place and findable, but not listed on geocaching.com: I've found a couple. A good day out if you enjoy caching "like it used to be": unfortunately very few people do.

I'm afraid that "His caches are still in place and findable" is a bit optimistic. They are still listed, and it's possible that maybe half of them are still there. I've looked for the majority of them, and Sandvika has looked for quite a few, too. Heffalump has looked for a small number. Very few other people have looked at all. Most of them are not maintained, though a few have been after my visit, and some of the remaining ones are in very poor condition.

I met him at his house (one of the caches is in his garden) and they both came along to an event just before the launch of his boat.

Rgds, Andy

I followed the launch and unfortunate track of the mission. Hope he does try again! His caches are still in place and findable, but not listed on geocaching.com: I've found a couple. A good day out if you enjoy caching "like it used to be": unfortunately very few people do.

I'm afraid that "His caches are still in place and findable" is a bit optimistic. They are still listed, and it's possible that maybe half of them are still there. I've looked for the majority of them, and Sandvika has looked for quite a few, too. Heffalump has looked for a small number. Very few other people have looked at all. Most of them are not maintained, though a few have been after my visit, and some of the remaining ones are in very poor condition.

I met him at his house (one of the caches is in his garden) and they both came along to an event just before the launch of his boat.

Rgds, Andy

Ah, yes. I recall that some are listed but clearly not available, but I couldn't remember whether this was a significant number. Presumably the lack of finders has caused him to lose the enthusiasm necessary to keep them all maintained. Shame that most people don't look beyond the obvious listing site and at least keep others ticking over, and even more a shame that he was thrown out of geocaching.com for what seems to amount to a fairly trivial misunderstanding. I'm sure that many people have got away with a lot worse since those days. Presumably he's not bothered nowadays though!

Luckily the Groundspeak stuff is pretty much water under the bridge now, they do cache occasionally, and on geocaching.com, though I think they have no hides there.

I can understand the loss of enthusiasm, but personally would prefer the missing ones were archived - Navicaching has precious few listings in the UK, but bad listings are worse than few listings.

Rgds, Andy

I agree in principle about archiving; but as you probably realise, I have a more relaxed attitude than most to geocaches.

I notice that Robin updated his geocache list in October 2012 and this sort of timescale would be regarded as "non-maintenance" here, but I regard that as up to date. If I'm using a less popular listing site I'll size up the possibility that a cache might be long gone. If it's critical that I have a chance of finding the cache then I'll probably only go for one that's been checked within the last few months, but if I'm feeling more like exploring I might take on a cache that has no updates for years. I think you're the same, but many feel that it's a waste of time.

There might be a huge likelihood of finding nothing, but if I unearth the cache then there's a great deal of satisfaction. If I'm pretty certain that it's gone then my log will be useful to others, even if the cache owner does nothing.

... I might take on a cache that has no updates for years.

Indeed - I found one Navicache (not one of Robin's) that hadn't been found for 7 years :-) In a fairly busy location in Surrey. A large cache, and still in good condition. The jungle was almost impenetrable, and the tree had grown around the cache :-)

Rgds, Andy