How can you be inconspicuous when the cache is in public?

tweetiepy

I'm probably really bad at this. My son and I went out caching yesterday. Two of the 3 caches were in plain sight. One was out in the open and maybe we weren't seen - but I doubt it. The other was on a busy corner - there is 2.5 feet of undisturbed snow in the area, how do you search for something without being seen? We had the dog with us so we might have gone unnoticed but I'm always scared someone will wonder what we're doing and investigate.

If there was no snow we could have just sat down and on the ground maybe and looked around, but we had snow up past our knees trying to look around (being newbies we're still trying to get a feel for what to look for). I almost feel like we're wearing a bright "come see what we're doing" sign!

Is there a way to go un-noticed? or at least look like we belong there?

Most people don't care what you're doing. I was with a group once going after a nano on a park bench. Most of us were ready to walk away because of someone sitting there reading a paper. One in our group walked up behind the bench and reached under, signed in and put it back. The guy never even looked over!

Well i was thinking about this just the other day, as we smoke it makes life a little easier as you can always just light up and stand about. I wouldn't say this is a good reason to start but if you sneak about to much you look more odd and people start to notice more.

I have a hi-vis vest, bin bag and litter picker arm thingy in the car. If the area is very highly populated then I don my 'disguise' and away I go. Nobody pays attention to someone picking up litter, even if they are rummaging around. It also has the benefit of helping keep the area clean. If I was ever to get stopped and asked why I was picking up litter, I would just reply I was helping to keep the place clean or if someone official asked, explain about geocaching.

If I'm grabbing a cache whilst in smart work clothes, on goes the hi-vis vest and out comes my clip board and pen. You can then pretend to be inspecting the area and making notes etc...

Caching with kids is easier, let them do the looking, who really pays attention to kids playing? Next time you are out for a walk, keep an eye out for people you would normally ignore, see what they do and see if it could be used to disguise your searching.

I bought two hi-vis vests for my son and I that I plan on using around a lake in the summer, but there's no litter available in 2 feet of virgin snow and even if I was smoking, there was no way I'd look normal around there.

Hubby and my 17 YO daughter think we're nuts for snooping around like that. I think it's cool! Don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Most people don't care what you're doing. I was with a group once going after a nano on a park bench. Most of us were ready to walk away because of someone sitting there reading a paper. One in our group walked up behind the bench and reached under, signed in and put it back. The guy never even looked over!

I normally just introduce the person to geocaching and ask for permission to search the bench. My favorite was a young mother breastfeeding her baby while sitting on the bench at GZ. I warned her I was going to look around under her butt and explained that it was nothing personal. She and her friends were very interested in learning about a new game.

To the original question, as has already been mentioned, that fact is that no one will notice you, anyway, unless you look suspicious. So the main thing is to act like you aren't going anything unusual or illegal, which, after all, you aren't.

Yeah...I found one at a busy playground and not even the kids seemed to notice. It's amazing how people tend to ignore what other people are doing around them. Certainly makes me question the reliability of any "witness" to a crime!

At most, people will look over at me while they are walking by...but I've never once even gotten a strange look or even a double-take. Usually it's just a disinterested glance as they are on their way elsewhere.

Edited by J Grouchy

The ones I find awkward to do are the roadside finds on busier highways. There is a neat series based around my area, but all the caches are on heavily traveled highways. Granted I could do drive-bys and not sign logs for the 6 clue caches, just get numbers off the signs.

I have considered grabbing more at night, but then you look even more suspicious monkeying around with signs.

The ones I find awkward to do are the roadside finds on busier highways. There is a neat series based around my area, but all the caches are on heavily traveled highways. Granted I could do drive-bys and not sign logs for the 6 clue caches, just get numbers off the signs.

I have considered grabbing more at night, but then you look even more suspicious monkeying around with signs.

Hi-vis vest and hard hat from well know auction site, clip board and hey presto, invisibility kit...

Clip board,hard hat and safety vest = instant disguise, look like you belong or are inspecting something in the area. I used the clipboard trick in the service for ducking work details. Just grab one and walk with authority like you were on an assignment. Nobody bothered me.

Edited by Heli Leo

It took me a bit to get comfortable searching around other people. I focused on finding caches that were in a little more obscure locations for a while.

I also learned... if you appear to be searching for something, most people will not give you a second glance, although you will have the occasional helpful person who will ask, and then offer to look for it with you!!:D

Someone looking around for something might appear harmless. Someone looking around for something, and continually checking about to see if anyone is watching them might appear suspicious.

I just act like I lost something. I don't look to see if anyone is watching me search. Act like you belong there doing what you are doing.

On one occasion I was trying to be inconspicuous, while using my blackberry to find a cache in a local downtown pocket park, on my lunch hour. After nonchalantly searching for about ten minutes, a young woman got up from a bench, walked over to me, and said " you really should use a GPS, you're about thirty feet off.!" We both had a good laugh over that. She did compliment me on my appearing casual!!!

edit to add- This is also why I sometimes use my Blackberry instead of my bright orange PN40. People think you are texting most of the time, which is easy to pull off. They tend to understand you seeming to stare at your phone while milling around.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Fortunately, I haven't been in a position where I was trying to access a cache that would cause someone else embarrasment. But I have retrieved caches in pretty public places.

I have an old adage that I came up with in my high school days, based on observations of human nature: If you act like you know what you are doing, you can get by with a lot of things!

If you act nervous, it's a dead giveaway that you are doing something that some folks might think is illegal, even though -- as pointed out earlier -- you definitely aren't doing anything illegal. (On the other hand, some criminals have gotten by with some bad things just because they looked like what they were doing was an everyday thing. Depends on what their crime is, of course.)

You've got to have a lot of "bluff". I've gone right up to utility poles, opened the electric box cover, pulled out the cache, signed it, and put it back as if it was something that I do every day. If other folks noticed, they would have no reason to think that I was doing something (which to the uninitiated is) odd. Their subconcious is saying something like, "Oh, that guy is checking on something in that electric box."

Similarly with some other oddly placed caches. Just yesterday a friend of mine and I logged a find in a tree in a cemetery on a very busy corner. To anyone looking at us, we were inspecting the tree, or doing something with it that they couldn't quite tell -- perhaps pulling down a small broken branch to prevent someone from being injured, or whatever. We went out about our business with a singlness of purpose that put them at ease, I'm sure.

What I'm waiting for, is when I accidentally see someone logging a cache that I didn't even know was there and get to piggy-back on their find. (But that's a different topic!)

If you have kids in tow and you still are not convinced that they are enough 'camoflage' make out as if they are collecting stuff for a school project. Look for something that is prolific in the area and get the kids to 'collect' some whilst searching. If you are searching vegetation, then combine it with a nature lesson, looking and identifying plants, bugs etc... Or take a bin bag and gloves and get your group to pick up the litter in the area, picking up litter makes you almost invisible.

I never worry about it. My mindset is that I belong there, and I know what I'm doing. If there's someone right at GZ, I'll come back later. If someone walks by and asks why I'm poking around in the tree, more then likely I'll just tell them and explain what geocaching is. And in the rare event it might be LEO, most definitely I tell the truth. With that, I've only been asked twice in my whole "career" of doing this.

But costumes, vests, hard hats, and all that... meh.

With experience you'll find that some caches can be "searched for" from a distance...like from the car, for example. I've found quite a few where I sat in the car and surveyed the most likely hiding spots from afar, then just strolled in and made the grab before anyone nearby even noticed that I was there. This usually refers to urban or suburban micros. I'll "palm" the container or just slip it in my pocket and go back and have a seat in the truck to sign it, then casually stroll back over and deposit it back in its hiding spot.

LPC's are great for this tactic (except for that obnoxious screech of the skirt being lifted)....that's usually about all they're great for, unfortunately.

I never worry about it. My mindset is that I belong there, and I know what I'm doing. If there's someone right at GZ, I'll come back later. If someone walks by and asks why I'm poking around in the tree, more then likely I'll just tell them and explain what geocaching is. And in the rare event it might be LEO, most definitely I tell the truth. With that, I've only been asked twice in my whole "career" of doing this.

:D My philosophy exactly

A woman in my area always leaves one of her two earrings in the car while caching. She's then ready to explain her search as looking for her "lost" earring. Great idea in some situations - but it won't explain the electrical box search or the fence-post-cap search or the lamppost-skirt search or the tree-climbing search! :unsure:

Overall tip - don't look "furtive" or sneaky! The art is to be stealthy without appearing stealthy, or in some situations, to just go do it as if it is a perfectly natural action.

Yep. At first I was really concerned with being sneaky. Then one day I was searching for a cache while my non-caching wife sat in the car. When I got back to the car she was laughing hysterically. She said I looked like the Three Stooges missing the other two. She made me see that I was a lot more noticeable trying to be invisible than I would be if I just went about it as if I was supposed to be there. I've also learned that most people have tunnel vision. If you're not on their agenda they're not likely to see you.

But I like playing dress up... :laughing:

Kids and pets seem to afford the best cover.

Retired LEO, if you want me to notice you, wear a vest, hard hat and carry a clipboard.

Sorry, but with things going on today and people getting jumpy, in an urban environment that "costume" is going to have you questioned more often than you think. Police know what's going on in their patrol area - and you're out of place.

Impersonating a public servant can cost you some bucks too.

Litter pick up sounds like a good idea, but you could be lugging a lot when there's a film can on every other corner. You really can't "skip" an area to get to the next - people do notice stuff like that.

Now you get to take all that carp home with you and pay for it to be disposed of. You can't just leave your bag fulla junk on the curb.

- Just go there as if you know what you're doing, access the hide and move on.

Most of the ideas really take too long in preparation, when all many (really) want to do is grab it an' go off to the next.

It's a little less paranoid over here in the UK. As to the litter picking, for us we are free to take it to the town waste management facility (dump). With the health and safety obsession over here, every tom, dick and harry have to wear hi-vis when close to roads, so it's not unusual to see people in that type of attire, not just public servants. Personally I've only really used a disguise on the most public of urban caches.

Now you get to take all that carp home with you and pay for it to be disposed of. You can't just leave your bag fulla junk on the curb.

Why not? Are you suggesting I can get in trouble for collecting litter in a bag and dropping it off next to a trashcan? That never occurred to me.

Thanks for the tip about the dress up game. Everyone swears by it, so it's good to hear from another side.

You DONT act inconspicuous or sneaky. That causes problems and only attracts attention. Just look for it as if there is nobody around. Once you spot it, stop and wait until there is nobody looking and grab it. As long as they don't see the actual container, you will be fine. Place it back when nobody is looking. If you think someone is watching you intently, just pretend to keep looking in other places where the cache is not and then move on.

Why not? Are you suggesting I can get in trouble for collecting litter in a bag and dropping it off next to a trashcan? That never occurred to me.

Thanks for the tip about the dress up game. Everyone swears by it, so it's good to hear from another side.

Sure. It's called, "Theft of Services". You aren't the one paying for it to be hauled off.

Sure. It's called, "Theft of Services". You aren't the one paying for it to be hauled off.
I'm confused. If there is a trash can provided in a public place (not a business's dumpster, but a trash can), and I collect a bag of litter and drop it in that trash can, how is there any "Theft of Services" involved?

And what's the statute of limitations on this "Theft of Services"?

Property owner's dumpsters and trash cans are their property. They pay for removal. Theft of service is when you obtain a service that charges a fee without paying for it.

Public trash cans on street corners and park entrances are open to that Town/City's rules. Some include those (in taxes) as part of the city's Department of Sanitation, others with private companies do not.

New York City regularly fines for abuse of their cans (calling it "improper refuse") after getting frustrated with folks dropping off their household garbage. Course you have to get caught.

You can look up your own area yourself. <_<

Property owner's dumpsters and trash cans are their property. They pay for removal. Theft of service is when you obtain a service that charges a fee without paying for it.

Wow. So I should go ahead and let them pay for picking up the litter and removing it? I always thought of myself as picking up their litter for them and imagined they'd be grateful I put it in their dumpster. Even if the litter was from along the street before I got to their property, I've always assumed anyone would be happy to support me cleaning up the neighborhood. Live and learn.

Wow. So I should go ahead and let them pay for picking up the litter and removing it? I always thought of myself as picking up their litter for them and imagined they'd be grateful I put it in their dumpster. Even if the litter was from along the street before I got to their property, I've always assumed anyone would be happy to support me cleaning up the neighborhood. Live and learn.

Put it in a dumpster and you could get fined. Anywhere else, I don't think anyone would mind.

I drive all over for work and usually take some of my breaks geocaching. I thought it was perfect cover as I am in a company truck and wear a uniform. However I notice some people are more interested in what I am doing then when in my own car and my own clothes. They want to know what I am fixing or looking for. Some places it helps and in others it is worse. You just need to observe your surroundings and figure out what will work best for that cache.

I am brand new to geocaching and was just about to start this same thread. Today was my first day out and I found that people love to stare at me. I know what you are thinking; "But Herdo, it's because you are so attractive!", and I agree, but this seems different. On a more serious note, I think it depends on where you are. I was in 2 urban environments today and both had extremely different outcomes. The first was a public park and no one seemed to even notice I was alive, even when digging in a bush by myself. The second was on the side of a semi residential road, and it seemed like every car that passed slowed way down to see what I was doing. A home owner even came out and watched me from his back porch (I was on the other side of the wall next to the street).

I agree though, not looking up to see who is looking at you seems to help a lot. People are doing their own things, and if you don't act like you are doing anything wrong, they won't think you are. I can imagine kids or a dog would help immensely. No matter how sure of yourself you are, a grown man/woman getting on their knees to look under a table at a public park at 9:00 AM is going to look suspicious to some people. Throw a kid in the mix and it immediately changes everything.

So far the biggest threat to me has been people that are hanging around. On the second geocache I went to, people could have drove by all day staring at me and it wouldn't have been a problem, but as soon as that guy came out onto his back porch I was pretty much done. I guess I was most afraid he was going to ask me what I was doing, and being new I wouldn't have enough knowledge of geocaching to answer his questions in a way that he would believe me.

Had he asked me, the conversation would have probably been:

Home owner: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Looking for Geodes.. errr, Geodecaches.... I'm looking for treasure on the street behind your house..."

Home owner: "What?"

Me: "Nevermind..."

Today I got my first verbal inquiry. I was doing several in a series close to my office, some of which are located right along a walking path that circles an office development. One lady that walked by (my fault for not seeing her until she was just about a dozen feet away) asked if I'd lost something. I answered with a generic "yeah" and a goofy smile and shrug to show her how foolish I felt.

This was a bad day for me, actually. I ended up logging two DNFs and couldn't sign the log on the third one because it was sopping wet. Grrr!!!

I have two very different playing environments :

- mountains/countryside when I'm at my parents, and I have had no problems there, ever. I just say hi when I see someone and keep going ^_^

- urban environment, and that's where it's not easy. I have to find the right moment in the day when unemployed people aren't walking around (i.e. in the morning, because the place I live at isn't the best part of city, and those guys do their business starting at noon and until late at night :ph34r: ), when moms and nannies and teachers with pupils aren't out either (i.e. in the arvo at nap time), and out of rush hours. And I have to be inconspicuous or else a cop or whatever local authority will question me (that happened once already).

So, how do you guys do it when geocaching in a big city? Do you have any tips to share? When's the best moment of the day to go geocaching? (don't say at night, I'm a girl and I am not going out alone late at night :sunsure: ).

Edited by ClemB

I have two very different playing environments :

- mountains/countryside when I'm at my parents, and I have had no problems there, ever. I just say hi when I see someone and keep going ^_^

- urban environment, and that's where it's not easy. I have to find the right moment in the day when unemployed people aren't walking around (i.e. in the morning, because the place I live at isn't the best part of city, and those guys do their business starting at noon and until late at night :ph34r: ), when moms and nannies and teachers with pupils aren't out either (i.e. in the arvo at nap time), and out of rush hours. And I have to be inconspicuous or else a cop or whatever local authority will question me (that happened once already).

So, how do you guys do it when geocaching in a big city? Do you have any tips to share? When's the best moment of the day to go geocaching? (don't say at night, I'm a girl and I am not going out alone late at night :sunsure: ).

I'm very new to this myself, but I have picked up on a few things that might help.

Don't park your car next to the cache if you are going to be there a while. I have realized it looks a lot more suspicious when passing by to see someone who clearly pulled their car over to dig through a bush, light pole, etc.

Bring a dog or children. I went out yesterday with my friend and her two children to do a couple caches. I quickly realized how inconspicuous we looked when the kids were also digging around and looking under stuff. It looks like we were just playing a game, or helping them find stuff for a school project, or whatever. People might still question what you are doing, but their first thought won't be, bomb or drugs. I think the dog would have a similar effect. People would just assume your dog found something and you are taking a look at it yourself.

Try not to look sneaky. If you are looking around, waiting for no one to be looking, you are going to draw attention.

Bring other people. This plays off of trying not to look sneaky. If you have multiple people looking around for something, it makes it appear as though you aren't trying to hide anything. Nobody stashing anything illegal would be doing it in the middle of the day, with a couple people in tow.

Be confident. Again, this plays into trying not to look sneaky. Just look like you know what you are doing, and don't look over your shoulder ever 2 seconds.

As for the time of day to go, that depends entirely on the cache. If it's in more of a suburb type area, I usually go between noon and 2:00PM. If it's in a very urban area, like in the city, there probably isn't a best time to go. There will people around all day every day, and you should focus more on blending in, than trying to avoid people.

Like I said, I am in no way an expert. I've only been out caching 3 times and today I found my 10th cache. I'm sure more experienced people can give you more advice, but those are the things that have helped my immensely since I've started. Good luck!

I do the fake call a lot. But the strangest muggle experience I ever had was when I was looking for a cache that was apparently attached to a beautiful sculpture in Santa Fe. I was just walking around the statue, looking at it - as one normally does with big outdoor art, and a guy was totally giving me the hairy eyeball the whole time. He even came up pretty close to me and sort of stared. It was odd. I ended up leaving without getting to really do a proper search because he was just so weird about it.

Sometimes I pretend I'm a photographer.

Other than that, I just don't worry about people looking at me :).

Every time I have been questioned, the person had two guesses right off the bat:

first guess.. a lost Ring

the second guess.. geocaching

If you *ever* lose a ring, tell anyone questioning you that you are looking for a geocache.

Less chance of them searching for your lost treasure after you have left in frustration. :(

Shaun

Kids and pets seem to afford the best cover.

Retired LEO, if you want me to notice you, wear a vest, hard hat and carry a clipboard.

Sorry, but with things going on today and people getting jumpy, in an urban environment that "costume" is going to have you questioned more often than you think. Police know what's going on in their patrol area - and you're out of place.

Impersonating a public servant can cost you some bucks too.

Litter pick up sounds like a good idea, but you could be lugging a lot when there's a film can on every other corner. You really can't "skip" an area to get to the next - people do notice stuff like that.

- Just go there as if you know what you're doing, access the hide and move on.

Most of the ideas really take too long in preparation, when all many (really) want to do is grab it an' go off to the next.

This is interesting. I have talked with several LEOs from different areas, about the hard hat and clip board and none of them had a problem with it. They might ask you what you are doing, but, since what you are doing is legal, that would be about it.

I do agree, if you are trying to pass yourself off as someone offical, you very well could get into trouble. However, there is no law that says you can't wear a hard hat and vest. If you don't put some offical sticker on it, or tell someone you are from the dept. of what-ever, you should be fine. (my hard hat has a Geocache sticker on it.)

All that being said, the costume is really rarely needed. I think I have used this three or four times. Most of those were in my first two years of caching.

I've been feeling a little anxiety lately searching for caches that are boldly placed right in front of stores and such. A couple times I've gone in and told someone who works there "hey theres a geocache in front of your store. You mind if I look around for it?" They usually ask for a brief explanation and then either say 'yes no problem' or they come out and help look for it. Some might accuse me of compromising the cache location, but if it's right in front of a store the store owner should have been notified before placement and given the okay for it to be there. When I'm honest and someone knows what I'm doing, I don't feel anxious about it. Its when I'm trying to employ 'stealth' and looking all suspicious that I feel anxiety.

Bring a dog or children. I went out yesterday with my friend and her two children to do a couple caches. I quickly realized how inconspicuous we looked when the kids were also digging around and looking under stuff. It looks like we were just playing a game, or helping them find stuff for a school project, or whatever. People might still question what you are doing, but their first thought won't be, bomb or drugs. I think the dog would have a similar effect. People would just assume your dog found something and you are taking a look at it yourself.

In my area, kids are more probable to look for drugs than bugs :lol:

Sadly, I have no dog or kid that I could bring with me on a regular basis, but that's a good tip I'll keep in mind.

Try not to look sneaky. If you are looking around, waiting for no one to be looking, you are going to draw attention.

Be confident. Again, this plays into trying not to look sneaky. Just look like you know what you are doing, and don't look over your shoulder ever 2 seconds.

So play it cool and it'll be good? :cool:

As for the time of day to go, that depends entirely on the cache. If it's in more of a suburb type area, I usually go between noon and 2:00PM. If it's in a very urban area, like in the city, there probably isn't a best time to go. There will people around all day every day, and you should focus more on blending in, than trying to avoid people.

It's really in the city, so it's rarely quiet (early on sunday mornings, but that's it), the worst part being in and around the campus...

I do the fake call a lot. But the strangest muggle experience I ever had was when I was looking for a cache that was apparently attached to a beautiful sculpture in Santa Fe. I was just walking around the statue, looking at it - as one normally does with big outdoor art, and a guy was totally giving me the hairy eyeball the whole time. He even came up pretty close to me and sort of stared. It was odd. I ended up leaving without getting to really do a proper search because he was just so weird about it.

Sometimes I pretend I'm a photographer.

Other than that, I just don't worry about people looking at me :).

:laughing: I said I was an history student once, when the cops asked me what I was doing on a roundabout examining some old vine barrels on it. They nicely but firmly told me to leave and look at the barrels from the side of the road :sad:

The more caches I do the more i rely on confidence and occasionally the fake call or texting. Just remember with the fake call, mute your ringtone or you will deafen yourself when someone actually calls you.

With urban caches, I find checking the area out on google street view helps, it means you have an idea about potential locations and all from the warmth of home and that usually means less time is needed at ground zero.

Don't park your car next to the cache if you are going to be there a while. I have realized it looks a lot more suspicious when passing by to see someone who clearly pulled their car over to dig through a bush, light pole, etc.

I don't often park near GZ, but I think most people will assume you're doing something nasty there in the bushes, so chances are it will discourage them from going in to ransack the cache.

Bring other people.

I bring my wife on weekends. She takes particular glee in walking away and leaving me standing there looking absurdly conspicuous if she gets bored with the search or while I'm signing the log.

I've been feeling a little anxiety lately searching for caches that are boldly placed right in front of stores and such. A couple times I've gone in and told someone who works there "hey theres a geocache in front of your store. You mind if I look around for it?"

This is a good idea, but I have to admit that when I look for a cache in full view of a store, I just assume that they already know about it. If they don't, the CO might have made a mistake.

Oh yeah, 0 credibility if the phone rings during a fake call! :laughing:

"Oh, hang on a minute, I've got a call on the other line."